• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Monoblocks

OP
MajorMajorMajorMajor
I don't think you need to do bi-amping. One amplifier in stereo will probably be enough.

There is not really such a thing as a "4-Ohm amplifier". You need an amplifier with a robust power supply that doesn't run out of current. All the modern Class D amplifiers can handle 4 Ohms as can a Class AB amplifier with a large transformer and big capacitor pool.
I see. Yeah, I get that about the amplifier not being necessarily a specific ohm-rating, but it looks like when Amir did the 32 freq. test on the Outlaw 2220, he ran it in 4 ohm. I guess I just want to get an amplifier that will really put out what the speakers can handle (well).

See speaker specs below:

Specifications​

Specifications are subject to change without notice
Frequency Response35–25,000 Hz ±3dB
Recommended Amplifier Power20—400 watts per channel
Horizontal Dispersion80°
Vertical Dispersion30°
Sensitivity94 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance4 Ohms Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
To handle a 4 Ohm characteristic loudspeaker, you simply need an amplifier with a very low output impedance and a powerful enough current delivery.

In recent tests, Amir has sometimes used a "Powercube" to check load dependency. Have a look at his comments on 4 Ohm handling of this amplifier. The 2 channel version of this would easily drive a 4 Ohm speaker.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with MaxwellsEq, the simple thing is just use one in stereo. Unfortunately with Schitt that means you can only use RCA. If the interconnects are short you probably will be fine with that. You've already said your 100 watt receiver plays the speakers fine, so will one Vidar. When Amir tested it one Vidar in stereo it put out 183 watts into 4 ohms. That is plenty for the speakers your friend is using.

Also getting another amp with balanced input would be fine. It could be monoblocks or a single stereo amp. Perhaps physically for your friend's setup monoblocks are easier than stereo. Don't be afraid of class D it is fine. Many people have this idea monoblocks will give better separation between channels and sound better. As long as a stereo amp has a good power supply it isn't going to be a problem.

EDIT to add:yeah that Buckeye amp in stereo version would be excellent. It is unfazed even with high reactance all the way down to 2 ohms.
They have a stereo version for $995 which has more power as in 700 watts. Or monoblocks for $700 each.

Last edited:
OP
MajorMajorMajorMajor
What would be wrong with using the Buckeye 2220, one per speaker? Wouldn't that be great as it can drive 4 ohm and it would also be fully balanced and not "bridged"?

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is this: Would running two Buckeye 2220 in Mono, from a maximum volume perspective, be an upgrade over the current configuration of the bridged monoblock vidar 2 pair?

I promise I am done asking questions, and I'm sorry if they're dumb. I really appreciate your help guys.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is this: Would running two Buckeye 2220 in Mono, from a maximum volume perspective, be an upgrade over the current configuration of the bridged monoblock vidar 2 pair?
Yes the Outlaw 2220 (if that is what you meant to write) won't have the protection shutdowm problem with those speakers. I can't find it but I remember Outlaw claiming the M2220 (or maybe it was the almost same 2200) has no trouble with 2 ohms.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you mean a pair of Outlaw 2220's then yes. Here is what Amir said about it versus one Vidar in his review thread.

2 of these or 1 Schiit Vidar?
For sure two of these. Far more power and cleaner.

OP
MajorMajorMajorMajor
Well well, everyone.
As a denouement, the friend that bought the Outlaws thinks they don't sound as clean and musical as the Schiit Vidars. Now he's going to buy the Tyr amps, since they push 4 ohms.

OP
MajorMajorMajorMajor
Well well, everyone.
As a denouement, the friend that bought the Outlaws thinks they don't sound as clean and musical as the Schiit Vidars. Now he's going to buy the Tyr amps, since they push 4 ohms.
He really likes the Tyrs.

Top Bottom