• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The website just posted the APx555 measurements. The SINAD ones look better than those for the Vidar and Aegir but nowhere near a high-end class-D. At 4-ohm the dBV is as low as -85 dB
Thanks! Link is here.

Below is the THD+N into 4 ohms.

tyr 4ohm thdn.jpg

If I got the numbers right, on the ASR standard of THD+N and SINAD on 5W into 4 ohms:
P = U^2 / R
5 = U^2 / 4
U^2 = 20
U = 20^(1/2)
U = 4.47 Vrms

So at 4.47 Vrms = 5 Wrms the THD+N is 0.0085%, which translates to SINAD 81 green area ("good").

Also from the same graph, THD+N crosses 1% at 40 Vrms.
P = U^2 / R = 40*40 / 4 = 400 Wrms, more than their specified 350 Wrms.

Added it to the list.

Last edited:

Bobo77

You do know Schiit posted an AP test report?

Not as comprehensive as the ASR tests but tells us some interesting things.

Noise performance is pretty decent, picking off the THD+N graphs I get about 70 uV residual noise, unweighted, 20-20K. This is 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR of 96 dB which is just fine in my book.

As mentioned previously it has an early rise in distortion above 0.8 V output. If/when this gets reviewed by ASR people will trash it because the 5 W in to 4 ohm (4.47 V output) SINAD looks to be just above 80 dB. As the noise performance is decent this does not bother me.

It hits the rated 200 W in to 8 ohm and 350 W in to 4 ohm at just about 0.1% THD+N which works for me.

Would have liked to have seen some IMD testing or wide bandwidth power sweeps with 20 Hz to 20 kHz inputs but as it is class AB I imagine these look pretty good.

Definitely not the greatest value for money but it seems to do what it is advertised to do and I imagine those that do buy it will be happy.

Michael
Michael…
Have you found any reviews of anyone who has actually listened to them? I am not in the market, but just interested about what is "out there" in the audio world.. I have a Schiit Freya+ driving a McIntosh MC-152 which makes me smile all the time.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you found any reviews of anyone who has actually listened to them?
It's an amplifier. It's not supposed to have a sound.

Last edited:

jaykay77

I'm into it! It's clear these guys are passionate about hifi...may have to give these a day in court but - big shoes to fill as i'm coming from AHB2..

Koifla

D990B15D-8CC7-4C00-AA35-60B40A37CE6F.jpeg

I just got a pair and wasn’t expecting them to sound so much better even at lower volume. I have to push my ESLX to get them sounding full but these amps make the so dynamic at a lower volume it’s crazy. With a run of only 250 pair I figured I’d you snooze you loose. Great amps. Was surprised how much better they sound and I’m guessing it wasn’t the cables I built.

Bobo77

View attachment 201506
I just got a pair and wasn’t expecting them to sound so much better even at lower volume. I have to push my ESLX to get them sounding full but these amps make the so dynamic at a lower volume it’s crazy. With a run of only 250 pair I figured I’d you snooze you loose. Great amps. Was surprised how much better they sound and I’m guessing it wasn’t the cables I built.
What is an ESLX?
GREAT to hear some actual, real feedback. You sound happy! What were you using before?
After you have listened a while and burned the amps in give us more info.
I am just really curious about these amps. I am very happy with my amp, but these are intriguing!
Are you the reason that I have been waiting more that 3 months for my Loki Max??
:)

Koifla

What is an ESLX?
GREAT to hear some actual, real feedback. You sound happy! What were you using before?
After you have listened a while and burned the amps in give us more info.
I am just really curious about these amps. I am very happy with my amp, but these are intriguing!
Are you the reason that I have been waiting more that 3 months for my Loki Max??
:)
Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLX. I love them. Always stood above everything else when comparing. I Was using Rotel and more recently Yamaha S-801. I find the electrostatic need to be pushed a little bit to sound full and dynamic. The TYR definitely sounds fuller and more dynamic without pushing it. You would think two bigger amps would make it sound better louder but it was obvious right away they sounded better at a lower level. Drums kicked harder quicker cleaner more presence. The difference is obvious even from another room because dynamics will carry. Maybe it was the Rush Moving Pictures 40th CD or the speaker cables I built but I’m guessing it’s the amps.
Your wait for the Loki Max is because you didn’t buy it when you could. Schiit does a run when they have everything ready to go. Supply chain is not consistent so when I saw they had TYR available I ordered. Hopefully they perform and sell well so they are available again after they sell out. Get the Schiit when it’s hot. They always meet skepticism with their products. It just seemed crazy enough to work for me I guess.

Attachments

• 20C92BEB-0246-4699-9A42-E2F6D93F419D.jpeg
    20C92BEB-0246-4699-9A42-E2F6D93F419D.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 216

Bobo77

Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLX. I love them. Always stood above everything else when comparing. I Was using Rotel and more recently Yamaha S-801. I find the electrostatic need to be pushed a little bit to sound full and dynamic. The TYR definitely sounds fuller and more dynamic without pushing it. You would think two bigger amps would make it sound better louder but it was obvious right away they sounded better at a lower level. Drums kicked harder quicker cleaner more presence. The difference is obvious even from another room because dynamics will carry. Maybe it was the Rush Moving Pictures 40th CD or the speaker cables I built but I’m guessing it’s the amps.
Your wait for the Loki Max is because you didn’t buy it when you could. Schiit does a run when they have everything ready to go. Supply chain is not consistent so when I saw they had TYR available I ordered. Hopefully they perform and sell well so they are available again after they sell out. Get the Schiit when it’s hot. They always meet skepticism with their products. It just seemed crazy enough to work for me I guess.
Oh…Electrostatics..I am not "that" familiar…but I know that they benefit from a LOT of power. I heard a pair once in the 70's :) …but that is a discussion. I bet that they are great! People swear by them. Not practical for my smaller room. I am running DynAudio Contour 20s. They are rated 4-ohm and benefit from power in a similar fashion as your speakers.
Although I had some mono blocs 250wpc @8ohms that I am selling as they DID NOT cut "my" mustard. This pursuit is complicated. I am finding that out intellectually and financially! LOL!
Hey…I ordered the Loki Max when I ordered it. I do not track Schiit production runs, sorry. :cool:
I have a Freya, which is great! I am patient. It’s a luxury problem…so how upset can I get…it’s not something that I need. It’s been 3 months and customer service gave me no timeline at all LOL!..so maybe 2023! :) :)
Have a good time with your news amps. They are intriguing!!!!

Turcoda

I'm also looking at these to run my magnepan 1.7i. I had thought about the ESL 9s originally. I may still go down that path later, but right now I'm looking for a super clean and neutral amp capable of running both. I'm wondering what these Tyrs sound like. Theres not enough info out on the web for me to make a judgement call on these. I'm leaning towards the Benchmark AHB2 until I hear more from people about the Tyr's quality.

Last edited:

Koifla

The problem with Schiit is everything isn’t always available. A run of 500 amps will sell out pretty soon and no idea how much time before it’s available again. Schiit back orders can be months. 5 year warranty. When you make your decision Benchmarks will always be available.

Attachments

• D25CFD6A-3E2D-4718-91A5-E518102D505D.jpeg
    D25CFD6A-3E2D-4718-91A5-E518102D505D.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 299

Bobo77

The problem with Schiit is everything isn’t always available. A run of 500 amps will sell out pretty soon and no idea how much time before it’s available again. Schiit back orders can be months. 5 year warranty. When you make your decision Benchmarks will always be available.
I guess that business model works for them.
Making gear in the U.S. has to be challenging because of labor costs.

formertech

You do know Schiit posted an AP test report?

Not as comprehensive as the ASR tests but tells us some interesting things.

Noise performance is pretty decent, picking off the THD+N graphs I get about 70 uV residual noise, unweighted, 20-20K. This is 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR of 96 dB which is just fine in my book.

As mentioned previously it has an early rise in distortion above 0.8 V output. If/when this gets reviewed by ASR people will trash it because the 5 W in to 4 ohm (4.47 V output) SINAD looks to be just above 80 dB. As the noise performance is decent this does not bother me.

It hits the rated 200 W in to 8 ohm and 350 W in to 4 ohm at just about 0.1% THD+N which works for me.

Would have liked to have seen some IMD testing or wide bandwidth power sweeps with 20 Hz to 20 kHz inputs but as it is class AB I imagine these look pretty good.

Definitely not the greatest value for money but it seems to do what it is advertised to do and I imagine those that do buy it will be happy.

Michael
In don't know how you extrapolated all that from the report, but nice work! If it's accurate then my Behringer a800s perform almost as well at about $25O each as the Tyrs do at $1600 each, at least in terms of signal to noise ratio and distortion.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In don't know how you extrapolated all that from the report, but nice work! If it's accurate then my Behringer a800s perform almost as well at about $25O each as the Tyrs do at $1600 each, at least in terms of signal to noise ratio and distortion.

As a former A800 owner I do think the Tyr is substantially better in terms of SNR than the A800.

A800: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 81 dB, 400 uV residual noise
Tyr: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 96 dB, 70 uV residual noise

THD+N (SINAD) at 5 W in to 4 ohm (dominated by distortion) is pretty close but Tyr is much lower noise. It's not shown in the ASR measurements but my A800s could only drive full power for about 5-10 seconds before a limiter kicked in and dropped the power output. Also the A800 has load dependent frequency response which is not great.

Not saying I recommend the Tyr as a replacement for the A800 (go Hypex!) but I do think it is important to note that based on limited measurement data we have the Tyr is objectively quite a bit better than the A800 in terms of power output, noise and frequency response.

Michael

formertech

As a former A800 owner I do think the Tyr is substantially better in terms of SNR than the A800.

A800: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 81 dB, 400 uV residual noise
Tyr: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 96 dB, 70 uV residual noise

THD+N (SINAD) at 5 W in to 4 ohm (dominated by distortion) is pretty close but Tyr is much lower noise. It's not shown in the ASR measurements but my A800s could only drive full power for about 5-10 seconds before a limiter kicked in and dropped the power output. Also the A800 has load dependent frequency response which is not great.

Not saying I recommend the Tyr as a replacement for the A800 (go Hypex!) but I do think it is important to note that based on limited measurement data we have the Tyr is objectively quite a bit better than the A800 in terms of power output, noise and frequency response.

Michael
I was specifically talking about signal to noise plus distortion at 5 watts, which looks to be within 3dB when you compare the Behringer a800 to the Schitt Tyr. You raised an interesting point looking at the noise alone
"A800: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 81 dB, 400 uV residual noise
Tyr: 5 W in to 4 ohm SNR = 96 dB, 70 uV residual noise"
If the readings between the two amps come so much closer when you add in the distortion figure ( SINAD ), then would that not mean that the Tyr signal is dominated by distortion to a higher degree than the Behringer? I mean, that's the only conclusion I can come to. If indeed the Tyr ends up around 80db SINAD on a chart comparing amps, I think it's a fair assumption that to buy a $250 amp ( which measures 77db SINAD ) over a pair of amps for $3200 is something to contemplate. In my case I bought 2, and I think that power specs are going to be pretty close between a pair of A800s to a pair of Tyrs, with the added flexibility of the Behringers being 2 channel amps, bridgeable, versus monoblocks. Now, on another front I already own a Hafler 9500 from the 1990's: big, heavy, powerful and I think pretty comparable to a pair of Tyrs on specs. I paid $1200 for it back then and it was a standard for use in recording studios at the time. Magical and intangible qualities notwithstanding, I'm not sure the 2022 Tyr beats my 1990's Hafler 9500 at nearly one third the price. They're both heavy, old school amps with massive power supplies and heatsinks. I have to wonder if the Tyrs are all about "Old School" Mike Moffat always wanted to build his "flagship" big power amp with a "Choke" power supply, and now he gets to do it. A potential problem will be if the real world measurements don't come near the companies published figures-- and currently I notice that the published noise figure is 120dB, but you guys are telling me that it's 96dB actual. That's a pretty big difference, and so if the real world power figures fall short too, the that's not good. I realize it's all speculation at this point, but there are precedents: the Schiit Aegir is a real world 28 watt amp, but sold as an 80 watt amp. The Schiit "Yggy" DAC measurements as published on this site were downright shameful. In other words, long story short, i can't wait to see the Tyr tested-- even though I already think the Schiit Vidar is a much better buy, I look forward to the results.

Top Bottom