• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

magor34

From an audibility standpoint, nope. I owned the SMSL SU-8 V2 and recently upgraded to the Gustard X16. I can't hear anything different or better sounding. I changed DACs as I wanted the silver to match my integrated amp. I still have an SMSL M200 DAC as well that I use for my apartment in the city I work in as my Gustard is with my main system elesewhere.
Thanks, I will take it into consideration when making my decision.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Well, the good thing is that there are $100 DACs that measure very close to the best.

UltraPro

Schiit didn't respond yet what is the situation with their European store where everything is out of stock, so I ordered the Soncoz LA-QXD1. I realized that while Modius is a great product that measures brilliantly, it is more important to think how the DAC meshes with your system. Many people say that Modius has a slightly warm sound and so they say about the amp Gustard H16 too, which I use, so with HD650 cans I certainly don't want any bit more warmness. USA made product with a good customer support sounded nice, but then again, Soncoz has volume buttons and more connectors. Also it's a little smaller, but it doesn't have memory so it would remember your volume and other settings when you turn it off, and it cannot be powered by your smartphone. You need to update it's firmware too if any bugs occur, like with the latest one related to volume control (?).

The sound signature of Soncoz LA-QXD1 was desribed in a video being "metallic table", if there were three tables each representing a type of sound: wooden, glass and metallic. This means Soncoz has emphasis on energy and clinicality, though I wonder if I'm going to hear any difference at all. I'm telling this, since I'm seeing people buying Modius only because of the measurements, but really what you should think is the sound you are after. Modius is not the opposite of Soncoz, but not far from that, having better controlled bass and warmness, or so they say. I'd like to read more descriptions of Modius compared to other DACs if anyone has a first hand experience.

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Schiit didn't response yet what is the situation with their European store where everything is out of stock
No surprises there.
Schiit is a nice company and all with some good products but their attempt to get a foothold in Europe is one of the most half assed attempt I've ever seen.
Their European store is just a joke. They never had stock and they never will it looks like. Don't think about bringing COVID-19 up as an excuse as the situation with the European store was already ridiculous before anyone ever heard of COVID-19. Long time ago I set some email alerts in the shop for when certain products come back in stock, guess how many emails I received after all that time... zero.

It's a shame as I think Schiit really could do well in the European market.

PuX

why would it be a separate store/website for Europe at all?
it should be one store and countries/shipping should be handled internally.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit didn't response
Seems like the same treatment I received when i tried to return a bad hp amp for the second time.
I just gave up and decided to never buy their Schitt. again.
Also would be very careful listening to any promises made by their representatives here on this forum.
I was promised a reimbursement of my expenses and provided them all of my personal information so the refund could be processed and instead they kept my info and never refunded a dime. Maybe its only their director of finance who cant be trusted since he is the one who promised and bailed on the promise.
Please all you schitt fanboi's no need to try and protect them with throwing shade to this response. I have all the emails, and personal messages to back all this up. Now if Mr Noble wants to jump in here and defend himself, i am more than willing to let him step in it again

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
No surprises there.
Schiit is a nice company and all with some good products but their attempt to get a foothold in Europe is one of the most half assed attempt I've ever seen.
Their European store is just a joke. They never had stock and they never will it looks like. Don't think about bringing COVID-19 up as an excuse as the situation with the European store was already ridiculous before anyone ever heard of COVID-19. Long time ago I set some email alerts in the shop for when certain products come back in stock, guess how many emails I received after all that time... zero.

It's a shame as I think Schiit really could do well in the European market.

Indeed, neither the UK store (no longer in Europe) nor the European store have had stock since the beginning of the year, so I bought my Modius from the US online store and had it sent to Germany. Shipping, German tax, and import duty totalled 64 Euro (says here on the Bill I got from Fedex separately), and it got here within a week of the order (at the end of August).

Taking the exchange rate into account, it's not all that bad of an overhead to have it sent here from over the big pond, since at the time you could say you get a 12% discount when buying with Euros.

So, if you want Schiit, order from the States.

blondie

I'm looking for a DAC with low enough latency to use in an A/V application. Would this DAC be suitable?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm looking for a DAC with low enough latency to use in an A/V application. Would this DAC be suitable?
Sure, modius has no significant latency whatsoever. Only DACs that do some processing or DSP can have some severe enough delay (denafrips is guilty of this IIRC).

Paul_d

Curious, can I attach Modius to my old Harman-Kardon HK680 amp via RCA and got the sound from this DAC ?

Paul_d

What source to convert?
PC.
Now I connect old Creative X-Fi Gamer PCI to Harman, but soon want to throw this card in garbage :)

Modius have no volume control (maybe in Windows it have virtual vol control ?) but have RCA outputs that I can connect to HK680

And for my Anandas I want to but Drop THX 789 that have no pre-amp outputs...but mobius should be dac for them as well.

Last edited:

Dana reed

PC.
Now I connect old Creative X-Fi Gamer PCI to Harman, but soon want to throw this card in garbage :)

Modius have no volume control (maybe in Windows it have virtual vol control ?) but have RCA outputs that I can connect to HK680

And for my Anandas I want to but Drop THX 789 that have no pre-amp outputs...but mobius should be dac for them as well.
The HK680 is an integrated amp, correct? You can just use the volume control on that so you don’t need a preamp.
If you want to connect to both the HK680 and the 789 amp. You can just use the RCA for the HK680 and the XLR outputs to the THX789

Paul_d

The HK680 is an integrated amp, correct? You can just use the volume control on that so you don’t need a preamp.
If you want to connect to both the HK680 and the 789 amp. You can just use the RCA for the HK680 and the XLR outputs to the THX789
Yes, exactly! You are right all the ways. Thank you!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can anyone seriously hear the difference between the top 10-20 DACs on ASR? Sure the M400 is measurably a bit superior and a hell lot more expensive but can anyone seriously hear the difference in a blind test?

Anyway, I think this is priced very reasonably. Any comments or pictures of the guts would be welcome.
I really want to see some well designed double-blind studies to see if anyone can hear any differences between these good DACs. I would also LOVE to see if people can hear how bad one of the poorly-testing DACs sounds in comparison. Like, for example, an Audio-GD DAC. I think that the results will surprise some of us. My belief is that these measured differences are far less audible than many think they are.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I really want to see some well designed double-blind studies to see if anyone can hear any differences between these good DACs. I would also LOVE to see if people can hear how bad one of the poorly-testing DACs sounds in comparison. Like, for example, an Audio-GD DAC. I think that the results will surprise some of us. My belief is that these measured differences are far less audible than many think they are.
I'm pretty sure that is already an accepted fact that the differences are measurable but not audible. After a certain threshold has been reached of course. When have members been saying the differences are audible? And it is entirely possible that the well known coloured sound produced by something like an Audio-GD DAC will be perceived by many to be rather pleasant. I'm not trying to be contrary, but it has always been my understanding that these two main arguments you are presenting have never been in question.

Top Bottom