• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

imac

The magni just has a volume knob. I removed the Magni from the equation but can still hear the pops. I am using RCA cables. I can try XLR to my speakers and see if that helps, though I need to order some. Think that would make a difference?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The magni just has a volume knob. I removed the Magni from the equation but can still hear the pops. I am using RCA cables. I can try XLR to my speakers and see if that helps, though I need to order some. Think that would make a difference?
If you’re hearing pops, I think it might be an issue with your digital source. How are you sending a digital signal to the Modius? What is your digital source? Or maybe the quality of your audio files, where they ripped from CDs?

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

I got my Modius this weekend, to replace a Modi MB. My main gripe with the Modi MB was that I could practically cook an egg on it. Now here's the interesting thing, in listening to both back to back, I can hear what I think is clipping (or maybe just some popping noise) with the Modius, but not with the Modi MB. Does that make any sense? I switched to outlet power for the Modius which helped a bit, but it's still there. I'm using Birth of Kjie (flac) and Glamdring (first track from the Two Towers in whatever bit rate MP3 I ripped it at) as test tracks. Goes from DAC to Magni 2U to powered speakers - just using RCA. Thoughts on what's happening?

The clicking noise should be taking place when any sample rates change from a track to another (like from 16bit/48 to 24bit/96) Please confirm if my statement is true

imac

Well the noise isn't between tracks it's between DACs. One file is FLAC that I ripped and the other is MP3, but not sure of the bit rate off the top of my head. Didn't hear any noise with multibit modi but did with modius.

imac

Files ripped from CDs, using EAC, and fed from computer via USB - tried both VLC & media players.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Files ripped from CDs, using EAC, and fed from computer via USB - tried both VLC & media players.
Are the pops and clicks always happening at the same time? If yes, the problem is likely your files. Do you have the same issue when playing from a streaming service?

imac

So you're saying the pops are in the file but the Modi Multibit smooths them out while the Modius recreates them accurately? I'll dig up the CD and try it on another system.

Also, twice so far I've had no sound unless I unplug the Mobius and plug it back in (easier than a computer reboot). That typical behavior? Windows 10.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
So you're saying the pops are in the file but the Modi Multibit smooths them out while the Modius recreates them accurately? I'll dig up the CD and try it on another system.

Also, twice so far I've had no sound unless I unplug the Mobius and plug it back in (easier than a computer reboot). That typical behavior? Windows 10.
My guess is that you have an issue on the computer/interface part of your system. The USB receiver might be different from the Modi MB. Try different USB cables (non audiophile) and different USB ports. My Modius will not work with some USB cables at all, the connector is too recessed…

Does your computer have a toslink output? You could test with Toslink and compare.

I’d also check with Schiit. They might be able to better help with compatibility issues.

imac

Hmm ok, I have a couple things to try - most of Schiit's troubleshooting involves different USB cables & ports. Time to dig through cabled and crawl under the desk.

imac

It appears I was getting some feedback though the RCA cables in the Modius but not in the Modi for some reason. The XLR cables arrived today and the pops vanished. Could have something to do with my powered monitors, the way the Modi has external power vs USB power for the Modius, or something different. Not with the troubleshooting at this point. Sounds good to me :)

UltraPro

Hi! I'm interested in this DAC. I need to know though if I'm able to use it with a phone as the source via USB. Do I simply need a cable USB-C (male) to Micro-USB (male) or something called on the go (OTG) cable which determines the host device (example)? Also, does a phone like Huawei P30 have the power output to run Modius, so it powers on and works normally? Schiit says on their site that an external powered USB hub might be needed. What to do?

I also found out there are adapters Micro-USB (male) to USB-A (female). Adapter like this would serve me well so I could just plug my phone's USB cable to the adapter (this cable is the usual USB-C (male) to USB-A (male)).

EDIT. I can always power the DAC via the other USB port meant for that, if my phone cannot handle it, so I'm just asking if anybody happens to know. I would prefer not plugging the DAC to the wall.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Hi! I'm interested in this DAC. I need to know though if I'm able to use it with a phone as the source via USB. Do I simply need a cable USB-C (male) to Micro-USB (male) or something called on the go (OTG) cable which determines the host device (example)? Also, does a phone like Huawei P30 have the power output to run Modius, so it powers on and works normally? Schiit says on their site that an external powered USB hub might be needed. What to do?

I also found out there are adapters Micro-USB (male) to USB-A (female). Adapter like this would serve me well so I could just plug my phone's USB cable to the adapter (this cable is the usual USB-C (male) to USB-A (male)).

EDIT. I can always power the DAC via the other USB port meant for that, if my phone cannot handle it, so I'm just asking if anybody happens to know. I would prefer not plugging the DAC to the wall.
Your phone will likely not be able to power the Modius on its own, you’ll need a separate power supply for the Modius (I can’t remember if one is included), I believe most USB PSs will work. But other than that, it is a straight connection to the Modius: Phone -> USB -> Modius

If you’re using an iPhone (or iPad), you should get this adapter that allows you to power the Modius at the same time you recharge/power your iPhone. It also lets you output higher sampling rates.

UltraPro

@EchoChamber Thanks for the info!

I just checked Schiit's European store and unfortunately many products, if not all, are out of stock. Have others here been waiting long for their product? I emailed Schiit and will tell what they say.

I could also purchase something from this French store, but nothing over 250 €. Is Soncoz LA-QXD1 possibly as good as Modius, since it's immediately available. I cannot find anyone who has compared these two directly. I'm willing to wait for a rather long time if Modius is the absolute best under 250 €. I don't need the extra features of Soncoz.

Last edited:

milosz

Forum Donor
I would love to see a decent double-blind test with a reasonable sample size to see if ANYONE can be proven to be able to hear the differences between a class-leading DAC and a "merely good" one. Also like to see if people can tell the difference between a "broken" DAC like those poorly-measuring Audio-GD DACs and one of these top-measuring DACs.

I think many of us will be surprised.

I have done some casual blind tests with me and with a pro musician, and neither of us could not hear any difference between DACs to statistically meaningful levels. I used very high end playback gear, which should have been resolving enough to make any "humanly hearable" difference that exists audible.

I still think it's a good idea to buy one of these highly capable DACs because you can get one with superb performance for $120, so why not; at least then you know your DAC isn't obscuring the music. Should be a cure for audiophilia DAC nervosa, that.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

Yes, you can use your phone as a source you just need the correct cable for your source to USB Micro.

PuX

I would love to see a decent double-blind test with a reasonable sample size to see if ANYONE can be proven to be able to hear the differences between a class-leading DAC and a "merely good" one. Also like to see if people can tell the difference between a "broken" DAC like those poorly-measuring Audio-GD DACs and one of these top-measuring DACs.
the thing is, if the DAC is fantastic but the amp and speakers are previous-generation or just not in the same performance bracket - how would one be able to tell the DAC is good?
and an amp with better performance than current generation of DACs is probably very difficult to find.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
the thing is, if the DAC is fantastic but the amp and speakers are previous-generation or just not in the same performance bracket - how would one be able to tell the DAC is good?
and an amp with better performance than current generation of DACs is probably very difficult to find.
DACs don't make that much difference unless they are very badly designed/implemented so don't put too much emphasis on them in the chain. Even among the lower rated DACs tested around here, the differences versus top-tier offerings are academic and measurable rather than audibly significant. To a point, it is of course possible to have a poorly done DAC no doubt, but they are fairly rare as compared to DACs that are sufficient.

magor34

DACs don't make that much difference unless they are very badly designed/implemented so don't put too much emphasis on them in the chain. Even among the lower rated DACs tested around here, the differences versus top-tier offerings are academic and measurable rather than audibly significant. To a point, it is of course possible to have a poorly done DAC no doubt, but they are fairly rare as compared to DACs that are sufficient.
So this would not be a noticeable upgrade coming from a SMSL SU-8 V2?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So this would not be a noticeable upgrade coming from a SMSL SU-8 V2?
From an audibility standpoint, nope. I owned the SMSL SU-8 V2 and recently upgraded to the Gustard X16. I can't hear anything different or better sounding. I changed DACs as I wanted the silver to match my integrated amp. I still have an SMSL M200 DAC as well that I use for my apartment in the city I work in as my Gustard is with my main system elesewhere.

Lupin

From an audibility standpoint, nope. I owned the SMSL SU-8 V2 and recently upgraded to the Gustard X16. I can't hear anything different or better sounding. I changed DACs as I wanted the silver to match my integrated amp. I still have an SMSL M200 DAC as well that I use for my apartment in the city I work in as my Gustard is with my main system elesewhere.
I agree with this.
Personally I don't understand the audiophile's obsession about DACs when it comes to upgrading.
Lot of people look at the DAC as the first thing to upgrade. At the same time a DAC is the part where the least improvement is to be expected when everything works as it should. Putting that money towards upgrading headphones, speakers or room improvement/treatment will net much more tangible improvements then buying a new DAC ever will imho.

I have seen pictures of 40K+ systems from audiophiles who boast about how much their stuff is worth. At the same time you can see in the pictures that they don't even bother to properly position their 20K+ speakers.. nope instead they're talking about replacing their "lousy" 1200 dollar interlink cable with a 7000 dollar one because that will make a night and day difference.. of course that will make a much bigger difference then properly positioning your speakers or do some basic room treatment.. :facepalm:

Top Bottom