• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
For $199, the Modius DAC is decent. It’s total Schiit in that it’s totally made by Schiit Audio, but thankfully not total shit. Its flat timbral character (not "flat" as in "flat frequency response") works for some purposes, and although not to my taste, I appreciate its practicality. If you prioritize high quality audio performance no matter the analog output, I suggest saving further for the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.

What utter horse shite, suitable for a site called "analog planet", I guess. Here's an objective review of that Cobalt he so praises ...

Xenio

>don't strictly need a balanced DAC

What do you mean by "not strictly" ?

Zensō

Major Contributor
For $199, the Modius DAC is decent. It’s total Schiit in that it’s totally made by Schiit Audio, but thankfully not total shit. Its flat timbral character (not "flat" as in "flat frequency response") works for some purposes, and although not to my taste, I appreciate its practicality. If you prioritize high quality audio performance no matter the analog output, I suggest saving further for the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt.

What utter horse shite, suitable for a site called "analog planet", I guess. Here's an objective review of that Cobalt he so praises ...

I suspect the reviewer would like the Modius better if it was painted blue.

Last edited:

Xenio

Oh yeah, the goal of balanced audio is to remove noise right? ( (x+n) - (-x+n) = 2x with x the signal and n the noise) . So it's just that the noise between the DAC and amp will not be removed, however noise in the amp through the drivers will be removed. Am I right ?

Okay, that's good. But I'll probably change the bifrost to modius and stay with SE. Then I'll change the magni 3 to the magnius and buy a cable for the HD 600 to go balanced at the same occasion. Or do everything at once.

Thanks for the informations guys :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Okay, that's good. But I'll probably change the bifrost to modius and stay with SE. Then I'll change the magni 3 to the magnius and buy a cable for the HD 600 to go balanced at the same occasion. Or do everything at once.

Thanks for the informations guys :)
Yep you can do any of those changes one at a time ;) good thinking

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the Original OP -

Did you actually listen to the Dac ?
Usually when I press my ear against a DAC I don't hear much. Maybe you have had a different experience?

In all seriousness, if you are looking for sound impressions of measurably transparent DACs, this is not the forum for you.

Usually when I press my ear against a DAC I don't hear much. Maybe you have had a different experience?

In all seriousness, if you are looking for sound impressions of measurably transparent DACs, this is not the forum for you.

Thanks for the heads up, perhaps so.

An audio forum that discourages actual listening to the gear . brilliant!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the heads up, perhaps so.

An audio forum that discourages actual listening to the gear . brilliant!
Well that's a strawman if I have ever seen one. Looks like you are new to ASR - I recommend you read some of the amp and speaker reviews if you want brief listening impressions from Amir.

Zensō

Major Contributor
On the tin it says "Review"

Calling something a review and just taking measurements are two different things.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Calling something a review and just taking measurements are two different things.

From Merriam-Webster - Review : a critical evaluation (as of a book or play).

If one can’t hear the differences between well-measuring DACs, all that’s left are measurements. Imagining differences and reporting those imaginings doesn’t fit the definition of “critical evaluation”.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with you. If someone wants just the measurements you can download the APx555 report directly from Schiit. Amir's review contains analysis of these measurements: how they compare to other DACs that were reviewed, the quality of engineering, highlighting problems, etc...

raindance

Major Contributor

Agreed. Total BS.

For the most part, the differences between well-measuring DACs are so subtle as to be undetectable by most humans in controlled blind tests. Sighted listening is another matter, where expectation bias plays a major role in creating the imagined differences. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

If you own a "well measuring" dac then why bother updating to another model if you cant hear the differences anyway ? It becomes a bit like wanting to have the latest iphone although the old one sends emails just as well.
Just buy the cheapest that measures well and call it a day. No ?

Personally I like tube dacs or ones with a thicker tone. Call it distortion or colored or whatever but i like it. I like a choice of flavours to match amps and different speaker designs.

I fully agree with you that expectation bias can be a major role in evaluating hifi and that is a fascinating subject.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Apparently this was written by a 15 year old. I'll give him props for getting published at that age.

Top Bottom