• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

jruser

I tried emailing them through Amazon. They won't send it unless you are having whatever problem it fixes, and they didn't say what problem it fixes.

Arvind

They have informed that there will be v1.6 update soon.
Screenshot_2020-04-01-15-02-54-05_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.png

jruser

Thanks peterwen, I downloaded the v1.6 firmware. It'll be a few days before I get a chance to install it. I'm working at home due to the virus and my upgrade tool is at my workplace.

Mr. Olinad

Just updated with @peterwen 's v1.6
I shared a video so you guys can check it working
Sabaj D5 v1.6

Peterwen, could you give us any detail about this version?
Is it official or you just did it yourself?
Are there any changelog besides the volume limit changed from 40 to 90?
Mine was v1.4 so there must be something else.

Tks again

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sabaj D5 v1.6

Tks again

Yes, changelog please!

jruser

Sabaj D5 v1.6

Tks again

Watches the video. Im kind of surprised of it having a date of 4-1-2020, since peterwen mentioned the firmware two days ago.

Mr. Olinad

Watches the video. Im kind of surprised of it having a date of 4-1-2020, since peterwen mentioned the firmware two days ago.
Exactly!
That's why I'm saying that its peterwen's v1.6 lol
I can try to flash the firmware again tomorrow just to check if it's related to the update execution date or the version.
As Sabaj answered @Arvind they will release the 1.6 later, or peterwen works for Sabaj or he knows how to change the firmware.
If the second option is the truth so I can only hope it's a hack over the v1.4 or v1.5, otherwise I'm downgrading my firmware just for the 90 volume levels.

jruser

Yeah, I'd like more info from peterwen.

It would be easy to tell if it were a mod of v1.2, since that's the one where the volume knob would quit working after standby.

StinkyPete

Hello

I am having some trouble getting my Sabaj to work with windows 10. I only use the DAC part of it with XLR out.
I have Sabaj connected to my computer via USB and windows shut down unexpectedly sometimes during playback (Blue screen making an error report before the computer restarts). When I switch to another input on the Sabaj windows does not have a problem (the usb connection is off when its not selected). And sometimes there is no sound, then I have to shuffle through the inputs to get the USB signal back.

I have installed the driver package that I found on Sabajs home page. Does anyone know if there is a newer version?
Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

jruser

Hello

I am having some trouble getting my Sabaj to work with windows 10. I only use the DAC part of it with XLR out.
I have Sabaj connected to my computer via USB and windows shut down unexpectedly sometimes during playback (Blue screen making an error report before the computer restarts). When I switch to another input on the Sabaj windows does not have a problem (the usb connection is off when its not selected). And sometimes there is no sound, then I have to shuffle through the inputs to get the USB signal back.

I have installed the driver package that I found on Sabajs home page. Does anyone know if there is a newer version?

Thanks

Have not had the issue. Post 69 in this thread has a link to driver 4.67 which has been working for me. That's the newest version I've seen.

StinkyPete

Have not had the issue. Post 69 in this thread has a link to driver 4.67 which has been working for me. That's the newest version I've seen.
Okay thanks this is actually newer than the version I downloaded from Sabajs site. :D

jruser

Exactly!
That's why I'm saying that its peterwen's v1.6 lol
I can try to flash the firmware again tomorrow just to check if it's related to the update execution date or the version.
As Sabaj answered @Arvind they will release the 1.6 later, or peterwen works for Sabaj or he knows how to change the firmware.
If the second option is the truth so I can only hope it's a hack over the v1.4 or v1.5, otherwise I'm downgrading my firmware just for the 90 volume levels.

Did you install the revised 1.6?

Mr. Olinad

I don't understand your question, sorry.
Are you asking if I have tried to reinstall the v1.6 to check if the date changes?

jruser

I don't understand your question, sorry.
Are you asking if I have tried to reinstall the v1.6 to check if the date changes?

Like 14 hours ago they emailed me and you a revised version 1.6. They said the version yesterday had a bug, and now it is fixed.

I suspect it's a Sabaj employee, but it's just a hunch.

Mr. Olinad

Sorry, I just saw the email now.
Already flashed the firmware with the peterwen's v1.6 rev 2 :p

*Release dates (.hex files)
v1.6 rev 1 - 04.01.2020 06:10
v1.6 rev 2 - 04.01.2020 22:36

They are quite different as I could check with Notepad++
1585870029410.png

I really would like to have more info's about it, but as long as it doesn't f#$% with the sound, I'm ok with it.
All I can see is that hex files from v1.4, v1.6.1 and v1.6.2 are way too different to justifly only a change from 40 to 90 steps.

Malis

Hello

Thanks

I had the same issue, first I thought that the blue screen was from the USB 3.0 port, because when I connected it to 2.0 port I rarely got the blue screen. But then again it happened more frequently. In the end the reason was that I was changing audio programs from Foobar, to Spotify, to Youtube etc., and the Windows did not like that because of the different bit rates.

StinkyPete

ed the firmware with the peterwe
I had the same issue, first I thought that the blue screen was from the USB 3.0 port, because when I connected it to 2.0 port I rarely got the blue screen. But then again it happened more frequently. In the end the reason was that I was changing audio programs from Foobar, to Spotify, to Youtube etc., and the Windows did not like that because of the different bit rates.
How did you solve your problem?

I was also wondering what settings you use in windows sound settings? I use 32bit 384khz I think it is.
I mainly use Spotify for music playback. I have heard that to get the "best" sound I should bypass windows sound mixer but I don't know how to. Have you done this?

Mr. Olinad

Hello

Thanks

I never had an issue via USB on Windows 10, no matter if USB 2.0 or 3.0.
When you say that windows shuts down during playback, what exactly are you using? Spotify, Tidal, Foobar, Youtube, gaming? Or does it happen no matter what you're using?
Do you have any other sound device connected to your computer, like an onboard soundcard or any other DAC?
Are you using any software in exclusive mode, like Foobar or Tidal?
Do you use any kind of EQ software, like Sonarworks?

I'll show my setting, so you can check if they are the same.

First of all, check your XMOS driver version (Post #69):
1585937503867.png

Playback device Control Panel:
- Disable any other device but the Sabaj D5. Even HDMI connected to the monitor.
- If you have more than one device enabled, sometime Windows sets two of them as active, which can cause some problems.
* Right click on the list to check the options for show/hide Disabled and Disconnected devices.
* Right click over them to disable.
1585935976978.png

On config, make sure it's flagged as Full-range speakers
1585936035462.png

On properties, set as follows:
1585936108120.png

Spatial sound turned off
1585936209787.png

After that, your XMOS Control Panel should look like this:
1585936524946.png

1585936552116.png

Also make sure your Device Manager has no issues, no matter the device type
1585939554263.png

Let us know if windows shuts down again and please answer my questions so we can keep track over D5's problems.
Tks

Attachments

• 1585934738808.png
    1585934738808.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 1585936311278.png
    1585936311278.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1585936911288.png
    1585936911288.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1585936956181.png