• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How? All units are manufactured the same, isn't it? Either the case is earthed or it is floating. There is no signal I can see on the device photographs to say either, hence my asking as you seem to know the unit.
I'm talking about these kinds of amps in general. I have no knowledge of this particular amp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though you mentioned the model of the amp on your post that I asked a question for and the thread is about this particular amp? ::rolleyes:
I never mentioned any model... The first quote is not mine ;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never mentioned any model... The first quote is not mine ;)
Duh! An apology is in order then: I'm sorry for not paying attention. I deleted my post.

Toku

Major Contributor
I was using high level as the REL documentation said it was supported on class D, have reverted to a line input to solve the thumping noise.

I've swapped the Kodi to USB audio and now using optical for my Mac to regain native system volume control. Getting it to sync properly with the Sabaj took ages, and is only now working with the optical lead plugged half way in to the amp, pluggin it fully in to the amp give no connection for some reason?

I'm still reluctant to upgrade the firmware in case the amp volume changes mean the coax input is effected and I lose audio to the mixer on that channel.

Is it possible to *downgrade* the firmware if that happens? Is firmware V1 available anywhere if so?

View attachment 237573
There are multiple types of output formats for Class D amplifiers, including SE, BTL, PBTL, and PSE. Of these, only the SE (single-ended) and PSE (parallel single-ended) types can use high-level input using speaker output.

In the case of SE output, the negative side of both R-ch and L-ch is connected to the ground as with class A/B analog amplifiers, so there is no need to worry about short circuits.
SMSL A300 and Sabaj A20a 2022 are commercially available amplifiers with SE output. However, these amplifiers also switch to the BTL method when connected to monaural, so they cannot be used with high level input.

I think that it is better to update the firmware because there are important update items.
If you want to revert the firmware after updating, please contact Sabaj and request the old definition file. If you update again using that file, it should be back.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is the half PSU voltage measured between GND (as the ground of the RCA sockets) and either of the positive (red) and minus (black) speaker terminals?

Do you know if GND is connected to the power connector earth connection?
The ground pin of the power connector is connected to the case as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• sabaj-a30a-6.jpg
    sabaj-a30a-6.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 231

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ground pin of the power connector is connected to the case as shown in the picture.
In which case in the case of any of the speaker wires touching an earthed element in the room, a radiator or water pipe for instance, there will be a short? Am I correct?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In which case in the case of any of the speaker wires touching an earthed element in the room, a radiator or water pipe for instance, there will be a short? Am I correct?
Yes!

Toku

Major Contributor
If the speaker wiring of the A30a touches a conductive object such as a grounded water pipe, an extra current will flow into the A30a through the ground and the operation of the amplifier will be disturbed.
Therefore, do not connect or touch the speaker terminals of the A30a with anything other than the + and - wires from the speaker.

Maciekw

If the speaker wiring of the A30a touches a conductive object such as a grounded water pipe, an extra current will flow into the A30a through the ground and the operation of the amplifier will be disturbed.
Therefore, do not connect or touch the speaker terminals of the A30a with anything other than the + and - wires from the speaker.
A solutions to connect sub to amplifier outputs would be use an isolation audio transformer on the line.

vuittion

I've just ordered this amp from Amazon UK. It cost me an eye watering £499.99 and for that sort of money im expecting something rather special otherwise its going straight back for a refund.

markyt

There are multiple types of output formats for Class D amplifiers, including SE, BTL, PBTL, and PSE. Of these, only the SE (single-ended) and PSE (parallel single-ended) types can use high-level input using speaker output.

In the case of SE output, the negative side of both R-ch and L-ch is connected to the ground as with class A/B analog amplifiers, so there is no need to worry about short circuits.
SMSL A300 and Sabaj A20a 2022 are commercially available amplifiers with SE output. However, these amplifiers also switch to the BTL method when connected to monaural, so they cannot be used with high level input.

I think that it is better to update the firmware because there are important update items.
If you want to revert the firmware after updating, please contact Sabaj and request the old definition file. If you update again using that file, it should be back.

Firmware updated, I can confirm all works fine and no further loss of volume on the coax port, would be really nice to be able to adjust input volumes for the different sources. I have yet to tinker with the new sub settings.

@vuittion have spent so long re-wiring things that I haven't had the chance to give the amp a good test run. What I can say is that it restores the brightness lost by my warm sounding Arcam SA20 amp which was three times the price. On the flip side, recordings that were already 'bright' are now way too bright, this might be the first proper amp I've owned where I might need to use the equaliser to calm things down. Whether it's better than the Arcam overall remains to be seen but I'm pretty sure it's lacking something to my Peacthree amp.

Toku

Major Contributor
Firmware updated, I can confirm all works fine and no further loss of volume on the coax port, would be really nice to be able to adjust input volumes for the different sources. I have yet to tinker with the new sub settings.

@vuittion have spent so long re-wiring things that I haven't had the chance to give the amp a good test run. What I can say is that it restores the brightness lost by my warm sounding Arcam SA20 amp which was three times the price. On the flip side, recordings that were already 'bright' are now way too bright, this might be the first proper amp I've owned where I might need to use the equaliser to calm things down. Whether it's better than the Arcam overall remains to be seen but I'm pretty sure it's lacking something to my Peacthree amp.
I am very happy that your A30a is now working properly.

Does this amp take banana plugs on speaker cables? Or do I have to install spades or no connectors at all?

Also, what is the distortion at 0.1W (8 Ohm) and what is the the max power at 1% distortion (8 Ohm)?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello,

I know SABAJ A30A has no SDB (like SMSLs)? Is this big issue?

Thx.
SDB is a preset tone control function that is only available on SMSL amplifier products.
Sabaj is a company of SMSL group but cannot use SDB.
The function of SDB is the same as the old loudness, and the tone control setting raises the bass and treble a little, maintaining the overall balance and making it easy to hear even at low volumes.
Even if the A30a does not have SDB, the same effect can be obtained by setting it with the tone control.

Toku

Major Contributor
Does this amp take banana plugs on speaker cables? Or do I have to install spades or no connectors at all?

Also, what is the distortion at 0.1W (8 Ohm) and what is the the max power at 1% distortion (8 Ohm)?
The only measurement data is SMSL VMV A2 at ASR. Since the amplifier is exactly the same as the A30a, please use this graph instead.

Attachments

• VMV A2 Power into 8 ohm Digital Coax Input Measurements Amplifier.png
    VMV A2 Power into 8 ohm Digital Coax Input Measurements Amplifier.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 186

Alu

Does the emblem come in another color other than gold? I noticed one members picture it was black.

longma

The only measurement data is SMSL VMV A2 at ASR. Since the amplifier is exactly the same as the A30a, please use this graph instead.
Is it correct to say, after 1 year, we can get SMSL VMV A2 under Sabaj brand for almost 1/2 price ($500 vs $1000)?

Toku

Major Contributor
Does the emblem come in another color other than gold? I noticed one members picture it was black.
The Sabaj emblem is gold colored, but it looks black depending on the angle of the photo.

Is it correct to say, after 1 year, we can get SMSL VMV A2 under Sabaj brand for almost 1/2 price ($500 vs $1000)?
The A30a does not have an I2S input, but otherwise is the same. The internal circuit and external dimensions are the same.
I think the difference in price is largely due to the brand image.
I was very interested in the SMSL VMV A2 but was not convinced by the price.
After that, the Sabaj A30a was released with the same content as the VMV A2, and I bought it without hesitation.

GiBo61

Owners of the Harman Kardon Citation Amp, using the same Axign AX 5689 IC, complain about the large amount of heat coming from the device. Is this an issue also for the Sabaj A30a?

Last edited:
Top Bottom