• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

ppataki

Major Contributor
My Sabaj A30A arrived yesterday and I can say I am sold.....:)
The sound is totally on par with my NC250MP + Topping DM7 combo.....
I am simply blown away guys: bass is extremely controlled and precise, highs are not fatiguing, separation is excellent, instruments sound lifelike
Very highly recommended!!!

I will post some measurement in my CHR120 based system in a few days' time

Toku

Major Contributor
Owners of the Harman Kardon Citation, Amp, using the same Axign AX 5689 IC,. complain about the large amount of heat coming from the device. Is this an issue also for the Sabaj A30a?
I don't know the heat generation of the Harman Kardon Citation, but I think it's the same as the A30a because it has the same configuration as the amplifier chip I'm using.
The A30a generates more heat than a typical Class D. It is similar to the heat generation situation of 48V voltage AIYIMA A07, Topping L30/L30ll, DENON DFA-100/PMA-50/PMA-60 full digital amplifiers. However, even if the heat generation is large, it is not at a level that will be an obstacle. However, when I touch the main body case during the midsummer season, it feels quite hot.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I don't know the heat generation of the Harman Kardon Citation, but I think it's the same as the A30a because it has the same configuration as the amplifier chip I'm using.
The A30a generates more heat than a typical Class D. It is similar to the heat generation situation of 48V voltage AIYIMA A07, Topping L30/L30ll, DENON DFA-100/PMA-50/PMA-60 full digital amplifiers. However, even if the heat generation is large, it is not at a level that will be an obstacle. However, when I touch the main body case during the midsummer season, it feels quite hot.

I have 23°C in my home office and my A30A is running warm but definitely not hot
I can totally keep my hand on it as long as I want
My NC250MPs I think are running warmer

Piopio

Hi Guys,

I would like to share my impressions from listening to the SMSL VMV A2, which is similar to the Sabaj A30A.

I compared the SMSL VMV A2 to my SMSL DA-9 + SMSL SU-9 kit. The source was PC + Roon connected via USB with galvanic isolation USB Topping HS01. The columns were Polish BMN Berges 3 (Scanspeak on the top). The nature of the loudspeakers' sound is very similar to the KEF LS50.

What can I say: it's a brilliant amplifier. In my opinion, this is one of the best amplifiers I have listened to apart from the High-End. Every aspect of the sound is outstanding. This amplifier has no weaknesses.

The nature of the sound of the SMSL DA-9 + SMSL SU-9 set is similar, but not as good as SMSL VMV A2. There is no such filling and realism as A2 provides. There are no such emotions as A2 provides. The sound is thinner and the space more modest. You can hear it.

SMSL VMV A2 is an amplifier designed for digital sources - just connect a transport. The amplifier does not have a DAC chip - it processes digital signals on a different principle. And he does it brilliantly. It would seem that the external DAC on the ES9038PRO would improve the sound. None of these things ! The external DAC only spoils the sound - it makes it slimmer.

SMSL VMV A2 sounds like the DAC R2R - no sharpness, amazing filling and at the same time stunning detail and dynamics. It boosts the sound like a really good tube - gives it realism.

Last edited:

Wendigo79

I am tempted to buy this amp. At hifi-exrpress.com 515€ currently... But I am also considerin Audiophonics Ncore 250. On the fence with this. I have the Sabaj a20a. The first version. The black cube that is. It's really great little amp. When I got it, it was "the wow" moment again!. It's way better than my old Yamaha as-501. But it does not have the same power. I hear it in weakness of the bass. Also when I add volume to the "bit too loud" level, the dynamics flattens. So it doesn't have enough power. But sound quality is unparalled. At least with my experience on amplifiers. I use the Elac dbr-62 speakers. The little black amp got a new layer of deatil out of them! So no I am considering a new amp. I got some time ago the Sabaj a20d 2022 dac/hp-amp. That is also a great device. So I am becoming a Sabaj fanboy :D ! So very tempted about this amp. But the subwoofer cut out frequency seems bit too high.From 70hz. Hope it would be lower. Say 50hz. As this amp is quite powerful and suits for full range speakers. So subwoofer could be used only for the really low frequencies. I also have my subwoofer istalled at the rear corner of the listening room. So if there is too much, too high frequencies, it will cause the sub to be hear as a "third sound source". So hope manufacturers should make the cut out frequency lower. If possible. Especially this one does not have a L/R-rca out. I of course I can always take the sub signal from the speaker outputs. But that would need more wire :confused:

What impressions you have about this amp? After listenin it now for a while. How it compares on fidelity? There are some remarks already but more please! :D

BTW, I truly recommend the a20a, the older black cube for everyone. It suits for micro-hifi style systems greatly. It has really the resolution that I had not heard before!

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
BTW, I truly recommend the a20a, the older black cube for everyone. It suits for micro-hifi style systems greatly. It has really the resolution that I had not heard before!
I have this amp, the first A20a, the sound is really excellent. By cons on the RCA input there is a slight hiss if you turn up the volume. But I can't explain it, on my main channel with a DAC I have this hiss, but not on my other channel. As Toku already mentioned, the A20a has a structural problem, the SMSP is on top of the amp. with the XLR input no hiss, silent. I like having the remote and the SUB output, no remote on the new A20a 2022, really weird to have used the same model number.

Wendigo79

I have this amp, the first A20a, the sound is really excellent. By cons on the RCA input there is a slight hiss if you turn up the volume. But I can't explain it, on my main channel with a DAC I have this hiss, but not on my other channel. As Toku already mentioned, the A20a has a structural problem, the SMSP is on top of the amp. with the XLR input no hiss, silent. I like having the remote and the SUB output, no remote on the new A20a 2022, really weird to have used the same model number.
It could be a ground loop on the RCA? Is it connect to a PC? If so, a usb isolator could help. Or RCA isolation transformer. They both won't cost much at aliexpress.

Alu

Does the gold look okay in person.
It looks crazy tacky in pictures. Kind of makes you think what they were thinking. Aesthetics matter in home audio. Don’t know too many wives that would like that gold emblem,lol. The design was f my Sabaj d5 looks great. Don’t like the direction they’ve been going.
Also would the usb in sound better than my sabaj d5 to the analog in on the a30a?
I run a matrix xspidif2 I2s to my sabaj d5 and it is incredible.

Alu

I was unable to reproduce the issue you mentioned! I would might need more configurations of your setup:
Do you have any other inputs like RCA input, optical at the same time with USB and perform input switching?

My setup quite simple, I connect to this amp using USB only from the Beagle Bone Bridge and performed input switching. This USB input of this Amp/Dac quite different than any Topping or SMSL I tried so far. When I perform input switching, it takes little (10 secs) while to recognize my bridge again. But no sound dropping experienced. Everything is solid so far.
Why does your sabaj logo look black?
Did you modify it or is that an option.

Alu

My Sabaj A30A arrived yesterday and I can say I am sold.....:)
The sound is totally on par with my NC250MP + Topping DM7 combo.....
I am simply blown away guys: bass is extremely controlled and precise, highs are not fatiguing, separation is excellent, instruments sound lifelike
Very highly recommended!!!

I will post some measurement in my CHR120 based system in a few days' time
Are you going digital in or analog?

Toku

Major Contributor
Especially this one does not have a L/R-rca out. I of course I can always take the sub signal from the speaker outputs. But that would need more wire :confused:
Never take the subwoofer signal from the speaker output. The A30a's BTL amplifier will break if you do that.

Wendigo79

Never take the subwoofer signal from the speaker output. The A30a's BTL amplifier will break if you do that.
Oh, thank you for the warning! I need to research more about these BTL-amps.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It could be a ground loop on the RCA? Is it connect to a PC? If so, a usb isolator could help. Or RCA isolation transformer. They both won't cost much at aliexpress.

All the explanations are here.

NEO Dan

Hi peterwen,
As you are likely familiar with the spinorama measurements of loudspeakers provided here on ASR, I would like to suggest that the 30 DSP slots be user-modifiable instead of genre presets. This would make for a much more desirable product.

If you could allow a user to rename the preset and set a user-defined number of filter coefficients one could correct for response variance which can elevate the performance of the whole system to a higher level. The number of filters needed for correction could be more than 5, it really should be up to the user.

As an example, I currently use the following filters for correction in a HiFi Berry DAC+ DSP/HiFiBerryOS RPi streamer connected to Sabaj A8.

Attachments

• EQ_Filters.JPG
    EQ_Filters.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 119
  • REW1.jpg
    REW1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 109
In standby it is pretty high, around 3 watts
In idle it is 19 watts
When turning up the volume I could not force it past 22 watts :)
What's the difference between idle and standby? If there is any signal incoming at all is it idle?

PeterOo

Top Bottom