• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel DT-6000 Review & Measurements (CD Player / DAC)

Neric

Nope! I did not know (any of) that and now feel like an irresponsible parent of a few Rotel hardware.:mad:
I recall the class-action lawsuit by Oldsmobile owners who later found-out that they were sold "Chevrolet" engines. o_O
Should I feel cheated? Just a bit?

Rotel is a Japanese company with a Chinese factory. They own the factory and contol the source of everything. YT has vidoes like this one:

They're as much a Chinese company as apple is since all the iphones are made in China.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rotel is a Japanese company with a Chinese factory. They own the factory and contol the source of everything. YT has vidoes like this one:
They're as much a Chinese company as apple is since all the iphones are made in China.
HEYYYYY! That could very well be my Rotel pre/proc during its manufacturing process.
OT: Because of the current US/China escalating tit-for-tat confrontations, Apple/iPhone is looking for other production/manufacturing countries... ditto even for FoxCon, but not VW or Tesla.;)

Neric

OT: Because of the current US/China escalating tit-for-tat confrontations, Apple/iPhone is looking for other production/manufacturing countries... ditto even for FoxCon, but not VW or Tesla.;)

I wonder if Rotel would consider moving...

This is another cool video:

Just how much different the transformer makes - seems up to some debate. But It is neat how they make so many.

Sonic-Wall

Do you have something in mind in particular? :p

When comparing to the Rotel, I got almost the exact same figures, but here through digital output at 0dBFS. As such, the DT-6000 is doing 100% perfect, but in the analog domain (I mean, at least for CD playback).
Great review!
Since you are in France, it would be great if you could measure the Metronome Le Player 4, which is a real CD transport (top loading) with an optional streamer.
The Le Player 4+ also includes a DAC and would be an interesting comparison with this Rotel CD player :)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Dynamic Range" is calculated/computed to be ~110dB; whereas the graph (4th plot, etc.) show the noise-floor resting above -100dB levels across the FR (neglecting the 1kHz signal at -0.67dBFS, etc.):
First, what you're seeing here is indeed a -60dBFS signal.
To bypass the noise limits of my ADCs, I use the Cosmos APU 60dB preamp. Because the latter also adds a bit of harmonics on its own (but is very transparent noise-wise), I refer to the Noise number from REW instead of THD+N. Some state of the art ADC, such as an AP, would not need this and would correctly calculate DR based on the -60dBFS signal.

Here, for Left Channel, it's (-)-50.9 (Noise) - 0.65 (fundamental level) + 60dB (Gain from APU) = ...110.2 (and not 110.1!). Yes, there's a typo. :facepalm:
I have to correct this graph...

it would be great if you could measure the Metronome Le Player 4, which is a real CD transport (top loading) with an optional streamer.
This is a 10k€ player. I highly doubt that anybody would loan one.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker "As such, I could dot give" -I presume you meant not give? Thanks for the concise review w/ stunning photography to accompany. I have always had a soft spot for their electronics, even if they are usually less than perfect and the review of the CD player makes me want one, even if I wouldn't use it but maybe once or twice a year.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[re: Rotel Transformer Manufacturing Process]
If you like such 'cool' videos; search for some 'manufacturing of copper' (from extraction to forming processes): It may take you - at least - 30 to 60 minutes.
I think it is near a TRILLION dollar huge market.
For extra credits, search how "magnet" [NOT 'magnetic'] wires are made. It is not a trivial matter.;)

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if Rotel would consider moving...

Just how much different the transformer makes - seems up to some debate. But It is neat how they make so many.
Here a Rotel transformer in the Oppo BDP 95 EU
oppoDSC_0936.JPG

BR52

Interesting - Rotel has the factor to make a ton of transformers - so why not sell them.
Oppo employed the name Rotel in its advertising campaign to portray itself as a more discerning audiophile.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting - Rotel has the factor to make a ton of transformers - so why not sell them.
Selling the toroidal transformers may enable the competition to output competitive gear. Rotel may have just enough manufacturing capacity for it's own line and not for other brands. That's my best guess. There is a lot to making a toroidal transformer as can be seen in the video and that is all specialty assembly machinery that can't be had for cheap.

BR52

Selling the toroidal transformers may enable the competition to output competitive gear. Rotel may have just enough manufacturing capacity for it's own line and not for other brands. That's my best guess. There is a lot to making a toroidal transformer as can be seen in the video and that is all specialty assembly machinery that can't be had for cheap.
If I follow your post, I can only speculate Oppo blue ray and Rotel used the same production line..... ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I follow your post, I can only speculate Oppo blue ray and Rotel used the same production line..... ?
They must if Oppo has those nice Rotel branded toroidal transformers in them.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I misread your comment and for some reason thought you meant they use the same transformers and I was not thinking you where commenting about the 2 brands using the same manufacturing production line. It is possible they use the same facilities for manufacturing or Rotel is taking orders for making Oppo gear. I don't actually know though. Sorry for misreading your comment. I am multitasking and I skimmed and scanned and speed read your comment. :D

BR52

I misread your comment and for some reason thought you meant they use the same transformers and I was not thinking you where commenting about the 2 brands using the same manufacturing production line. It is possible they use the same facilities for manufacturing or Rotel is taking orders for making Oppo gear. I don't actually know though. Sorry for misreading your comment. I am multitasking and I skimmed and scanned and speed read your comment
No problem. I saw here in Germany during the market introduction, Oppo advertised the Bdp 95 player as very audiophile and used the name Rotel for it. The transformer was the vehicle. The succeeded Bdp 205 is well known here in the forum. So why help a "competitor" to come to the audiophile market? Connected?...... Ps: the Bdp 95 was really good in this time.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They must if Oppo has those nice Rotel branded toroidal transformers in them.
@Neric posted video shows the technician putting a sticker on a xfmr can.
Maybe Oppo shares the Rotel stickers. :confused: Or, Oppo just 'cloned' those stickers. :confused:
Imitation - after all - is considered the most sincerest form of flattery, in some societies?

Top Bottom