• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roksan Attessa Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 251 84.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 11.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

digicidal

Major Contributor
If there is a more compelling argument for separates... I can't think of one - especially at that price! :facepalm:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
True: when did they reach 0.00x%, around 1979? But amps that had 0.05% measured in reviews were the low distortion amps of the early 1970s, and the ones that got it in the neck from some of the early subjectivists. The clamour mounted later, when that second 0 appeared.

Advertised THD numbers were conservative as they were all adhering the FTC requirements which stated the power, bandwidth, load and distortion figure. The number could not exceed the advertised figure at any point across the advertised bandwidth and any power from 250mW to rated output. A big ask.

We had ratings at full rated power at any frequency into the 0.00x% and by the 80s we had numbers at 0.001% for preamps. Again, over the entire audible bandwidth.

Amplifiers being tested here on ASR at 1kHz isn't comparable. And most of the SINAD leaders are pretty crap when compared apples to apples with the top gear from the 1980s.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Advertised THD numbers were conservative as they were all adhering the FTC requirements which stated the power, bandwidth, load and distortion figure. The number could not exceed the advertised figure at any point across the advertised bandwidth.

We had ratings at full rated power at any frequency into the 0.00x% and by the 80s we had numbers at 0.001% for preamps. Again, over the entire audible bandwidth.

Amplifiers being tested here on ASR at 1kHz isn't comparable. And most of the SINAD leaders are pretty crap when compared apples to apples with the top gear from the 1980s.
Here are examples from the early 80s that I am familiar with.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Advertised THD numbers were conservative as they were all adhering the FTC requirements which stated the power, bandwidth, load and distortion figure. The number could not exceed the advertised figure at any point across the advertised bandwidth and any power from 250mW to rated output. A big ask.

In the real world, what's comparable between then and now though? How many more "difficult to drive" speakers are there today, for example? And what in terms of complete systems from before CD would be comparable with the best today?
On price, it looks like my first receiver, a JVC R-S11, is remarkably underpowered compared to what I can buy in class AB today, let alone class D. But it is a receiver of course. Then again, I can have an amp with a DAC today, and in system terms forgo the turntable and tuner: so I guess we could single out the Yamaha A-S501, which according to the inflation calculator is cheaper in real terms. Which is the golden age allowing for inflation, then?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My tests are more sophisticated and higher precision than anything that existed then. You well know that I run power sweeps at multiple frequencies:
index.php

Graphs in general were hard to find at the time. You basically got a lot of single number measurements. Nothing like the FFTs I show now.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
My tests are more sophisticated and higher precision than anything that existed then. You well know that I run power sweeps at multiple frequencies:
index.php

Graphs in general were hard to find at the time. You basically got a lot of single number measurements. Nothing like the FFTs I show now.
And of course the few older amps reviewed here (Marantz and Yamaha, I haven't gone to look for models) still did pretty well when tested here, but not as well as the best modern amps at much lower prices in real terms. Still, a bit of inaudible extra noise at 30 years old isn't that much of an issue. I suspect performance hasn't really moved that much in 30 years, and among the better amps at 40, apart from the extra power to drive the greater number of low impedance speakers today.

Same for subjective reviews, unfortunately. The Absolute Sound review claims that this one has "different watts" - what's the graph for that?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Absolute Sound review claims that this one has "different watts" - what's the graph for that?
Huh? Are you referring to the type of power? Any chance you have a link for that webpage?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I got it slightly wrong: the watts are actually "not created equal", rather than just "different".
In an amplifier segment where three-figure power ratings are more often the norm, Attessa’s 80Wpc rating is not an especially high number. But tell that to my 83dB sensitive ATC SCM20s. They couldn’t have been happier being driven by Attessa. Believe me, they are known to get a bit cranky when not fed sufficient high-quality power. But wattage ratings, as many of us know, are really only part of the story. Amps with significantly higher ratings than Attessa will not necessarily sound better or even as good—they only “read” more powerful on the page. Like the line goes, not all watts are created equal.

The special watts thing usually either refers to a better ability to drive low impedance, or the way the amp distorts at high outputs. I don't particularly see either of these in the numbers though. I do miss the obvious quite often.

Of course, that's when it actually does mean something :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh imho the alleged crappiness of Japanese hifi electronics was just clever marketing by the British and American's et al . and they won, sadly (which is telling for our real ability to hear stuff ;) ) . And i bought it at the time .

In hindsight the cottage quality off British stuff of the 80' and 90's is much worse than a nice SONY ES or similar stuff like a Luxman of that era . Fit and finish and build quality was on whole different level, a musical fidelity or Sugden looked like it where made in someone's garage ( and probably was )

This myth was still in full swing in circa 1986 or so when i was young and became interested in HiFi . And ofcourse i did not want Japanese hifi !
In reality there where only a few British brand that still made quality electronics about then an example was QUAD ?

The Brits and Americans where probably class leaders in the 60's and early 70's but the industry was reorganized . i remember my uncle has made in California Marantz products :)

What's infuriating with brands like Roksan is that they are late comers riding on the coat-tails of the mere reputation of good old British hifi ? and the marketing still worked in their favor . There was a rising trend and popularity in British hifi even in the 90's and even new brands where emerging after they technically where beaten by the Japanese ? Only trough the strength of marketting and the so called hifi press where they able to convince all of thier greatness? Why the hell does brands like Roksan or Sugden still exists is a mystery to me :) ?

Loudspeakers are a different matter here some Europeans brands have not lost its engineering edge.

Toni Mas

Interesting, as over here we've 'been taught' that a lot of european names produce overpriced crap, and before most of the manufacturing was moved to China it was because of the 'hand-built' (variable)- nature. It's more a romantic motion than a sign of tight manufacturing tolerances. And of course europeans crapped on 'mass produced' items from Japan, as they did not have the manufacturing capabilities to match.

Each side pisses on the other. Human nature. Two sides of same coin. We can't do what they do so we spread the word that our way is the right way.
It's exactly what I mean... And same is happening now with made in China as then made in Japan, and still insisting on dividing the world between guys in charge of mass production for economical reasons while the guys who design still belong to our part of the world, and we feel more secure when told that the gear, though proudly made in PRC has also (an more importantly...) been proudly designed in Europe or USA.

And the part of truth is that current chinese brands and factories are bound to implement circuits based on chips designed in occidental countries, countries that have also become totally incompetent from the manufacturing point of view and their brands are bound to charge (like all the survivors of the Hi-End crowd) absolutely insanely premium prices and this apparently works because, like Roksan, NAD, etc... they still have a name...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It's exactly what I mean... And same is happening now with made in China as then made in Japan, and still insisting on dividing the world between guys in charge of mass production for economical reasons while the guys who design still belong to our part of the world, and we feel more secure when told that the gear, though proudly made in PRC has also (an more importantly...) been proudly designed in Europe or USA.

And the part of truth is that current chinese brands and factories are bound to implement circuits based on chips designed in occidental countries, countries that have also become totally incompetent from the manufacturing point of view and their brands are bound to charge (like all the survivors of the Hi-End crowd) absolutely insanely premium prices and this apparently works because, like Roksan, NAD, etc... they still have a name...
A couple of points:
Firstly, where the device is made is irrelevant to quality. How it's made isn't. Production engineering (changes to designs in production, to be specific) and quality control matter: and designs need not to overstress components.

Secondly, chips. How often is it that chips fail, no matter what they are, assuming they are used within the design guidelines? This is a genuine question, because I'm not aware of the answer in audio.

Thirdly, what does "Designed in the UK" mean anyway? Does what leaves the CAD system in the UK actually equate to what gets built wherever else?

Fourthly, there is another paradigm change to take into account, between older companies building a range at different prices (eg the Marantz amplifier range, which appears to improve in spec and build according to price) and some kind of cost-plus method of pricing used by newer companies, which may see different prices for similar items and even cases where cheaper items may be the better built. It explains a lot, outside of the really ludicrous pricing that goes on.

Ajax

Forum Donor
For many years, more than I would like to admit, I would look forward to the latest What HiFi or the assessment of a particular piece of kit by one audio forum or another.

Most were subjective and in hindsight ridiculous in their conclusions without the benefit of measuring.

Roksan was a particular favourite of the hifi press.

Well done Amir for exposing their incompetence and also their negligence in promoting poorly performing gear.

You will need to fortify yourself against the backlash from these companies, if it has not already started.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
For many years, more than I would like to admit, I would look forward to the latest What HiFi or the assessment of a particular piece of kit by one audio forum or another.

Most were subjective and in hindsight ridiculous in their conclusions without the benefit of measuring.

Roksan was a particular favourite of the hifi press.
So recognisable.

Roksan was one of the first 'serious' brands I learned about, through WHF indeed, which was kind of my bible back then.

Turns out they're mostly nice faceplates. If you like the style. Which I don't really.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
we european audiophiles have been taught since our childhood that american and japanese Big names produce audio crap, because mass market IS crap market.
I am 73 and I was never under the impression that American and Japanese Hi-Fi were crap. That was your phrase I am objecting.

These were not crap. They measured well (for the period) and they looked the business. Do you think the British garage Hi-Fi scene was incepted to compete with these "crap" devices?

image_preview
image_preview
image_preview
1688717262811.jpeg

Toni Mas

A couple of points:
Firstly, where the device is made is irrelevant to quality. How it's made isn't. Production engineering (changes to designs in production, to be specific) and quality control matter: and designs need not to overstress components.

Secondly, chips. How often is it that chips fail, no matter what they are, assuming they are used within the design guidelines? This is a genuine question, because I'm not aware of the answer in audio.

Thirdly, what does "Designed in the UK" mean anyway? Does what leaves the CAD system in the UK actually equate to what gets built wherever else?

Fourthly, there is another paradigm change to take into account, between older companies building a range at different prices (eg the Marantz amplifier range, which appears to improve in spec and build according to price) and some kind of cost-plus method of pricing used by newer companies, which may see different prices for similar items and even cases where cheaper items may be the better built. It explains a lot, outside of the really ludicrous pricing that goes on.
Imho, the "real" designers are the guys that design the chips at Xmos, AKM, ESS, TI, Infineon, etc... Gear producers and finished products brand owners have become mere implementers and some are better readers of apllication notes and better "doers" than others... Also targetting different price points and users... You have brands like Topping aiming at kind of high standards and brands like Aiyima aiming at more popular demand. In my case, after years of using picky underground audiophile gear I have become happy enough with a set of Topping PA3s for my mains tweeters and mids and a couple of Aiyima monoblocks mini subwoofer amplifiers, only questionning the mess involved with all these separated power suplly units...

Toni Mas

I am 73 and I was never under the impression that American and Japanese Hi-Fi were crap. That was your phrase I am objecting.

These were not crap. They measured well (for the period) and they looked the business. Do you think the British garage Hi-Fi scene was incepted to compete with these "crap" devices?

image_preview
image_preview
image_preview
View attachment 297511
Lol, I hated these in those days... But as vintage gear, they are lovely!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol, I hated these in those days... But as vintage gear, they are lovely!
At least we now know that they were crap in your mind but there is nothing tangible to support that feeling. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True but thats what hifi has ever been about
I respectfully disagree.

Here is Julian Hirsh doing equipment testing on Hi-Fi Stereo Review in 1975. @John Atkinson started publishing tests on Hi-Fi News in 1976 and since 1986 he is publishing at Stereophile. For the enquiring mind, objective tests had been around as long as Hi-Fi.

Toni Mas

I respectfully disagree.

Here is Julian Hirsh doing equipment testing on Hi-Fi Stereo Review in 1975. @John Atkinson started publishing tests on Hi-Fi News in 1976 and since 1986 he is publishing at Stereophile. For the enquiring mind, objective tests had been around as long as Hi-Fi.
I never cared too much about the debate on "objectivism" vs "subjectivism" and always found that guys with supposedly solid technical knowledge always try to impress guys lacking of It. Hence all these tons of reviews issued since the late 40s, first redacted by the engineers and designers, and progressively dominated from the 70s by simply money driven gurús reputation makers and story tellers, from Atkinson or Hiraga, to Darko and similar...

Reactions: Ein
Top Bottom