• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio EVO150 in 2023 - feedback needed.

Guralex

Hi colleagues!

It's a cold and a bit depressive winter time, so my audiophile disease started to itch a little bit, asking for a soundsystem upgrade.
At the moment I'm a proud owner of KEF LS50 paired together with Roksan Attessa and a small sub (Monitor Audio bronze).

Roksan...was a controversial choice IMO. From the one hand - it was poorly reviewed here, in ASR; its sounds is pretty OK, bud not that engaging; BluOS seems to work OK, but constantly throws some errors/problems here and there. From the other hand - it's really pretty and stylish (seriously, love that design), it is packed with all the features I might need and it has a really nice phono preamp.

At the moment I have a possibility to pay something around 200$ extra and change my Roksan to Cambridge Audio EVO 150. (I've bought the Roksan in "used like a new" condition for about 1500$ and will be able to sell it for the same price to buy EVO "used like a new" around 1670$).
Answering an obvious question "Hey, bro, what's a problem? Try something new, see how it goes and if it sounds not-for-your-taste - just sell it and buy something new again" - you might be right. But...considering a war in my country, there are not so much of people willing to spend 1500$+ for a used audio tech, so selling such a stuff on aftermarket can last for ages.

Factors that make EVO150 really attractive to me:
- Hypex NCore amp modules: for sure, it would be much better to DIY or buy something less advertised, but having no opportunity to play a lot with international shipping, as well as a need in "phono+streamer+amp" solution, I cannot call it a bad decision to get familiar with Hypex in this way.
- Measurements seem to be really nice: https://www.stereophile.com/content...0-streaming-integrated-amplifier-measurements
- Despite of being "too modern" for someone, I like its big screen

Factors, that make me worry a little bit:
- Software issues. I've heard there are a lot of people blaming Cambridge for a lot of bugs and quality issues with EVO series, such a random freezes/reloads/stuttering while playing music, problems with a screen etc.
- Design...is much less attractive and solid than in Attessa, but can do nothing with it)
- Screen...looks good on photo. The question is if it bothers you after first impressions, is it quality enough or looks like a cheap smartphone from 2010s?
- Quality problems - I've heard there are some really laggy/broken devices right out-of-the-box. Having no warranty and official service centers, it may be the situation when the previous owner have spotted something bad and decided to get rid of the device. Sure thing, it's relevant to any kind of "internet deals", but do I have to worry about this specific model more, than about anything else?

Any feedbacks, thoughts or suggestions will be really appreciated! It's always easier to buy something blindly if you know there's a community that supports you.

P.S. There's also a possibility to buy Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 for the same price. If there are any comments regarding it - would love to hear as well

Last edited:

TSX

Hi,

I’ve had the EVO 150 for about 6 weeks. It had so many bugs and software hiccups, that it reminded me of Windows ME. I got my first unit replaced after a few weeks, and the 2nd unit was even worse than the first. Random turning on and off, screen going black and flickering, HDMI input not recognised randomly and the list goes on. Cambridge support was of no use. “Try to reboot, factory reset and wait for a future software update“. The amp ticked all my boxes, but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I‘m glad I got my money back. Never Cambridge for me again.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Tdai 1120 may be worth for the room correction, not many amps with such feature.

Tassin

P.S. There's also a possibility to buy Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 for the same price. If there are any comments regarding it - would love to hear as well
I've had my 1120 for over three years now and can only praise it. Firmware is rock solid stable, bug free and is updated or expanded with new features from time to time. Neutral amp with no coloration, RoomPerfect works great and is very user friendly. I actually don't know anyone who is not satisfied with it. A few did not find it to be their taste, but recognized its quality.

I can imagine being seduced by the display, but does it also improve the sound? And that's why you won't find such a gimmick on a Lyngdorf.

D

Deleted member 48437

Hi,

I’ve had the EVO 150 for about 6 weeks. It had so many bugs and software hiccups, that it reminded me of Windows ME. I got my first unit replaced after a few weeks, and the 2nd unit was even worse than the first. Random turning on and off, screen going black and flickering, HDMI input not recognised randomly and the list goes on. Cambridge support was of no use. “Try to reboot, factory reset and wait for a future software update“. The amp ticked all my boxes, but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I‘m glad I got my money back. Never Cambridge for me again.
I just want to warn people against this piece of downgraded quality in the name of Cambridge profit.

“Don’t buy it” Sounds like 100 to 150 feet back in a concert. Does not use a toroidal power supply, is class D (poorer sound than class a/b), not the same award winning streamer as in their CXN, cheapest of the ESS Saber chipsets (9018).

D

Deleted member 48437

Now Idk if any of the above is the downfall or an inferior streamer (compared to their CXN) BUT I can say with 100% certainty that upon buying this, changing nothing but the amp with it’s class D design which I believe will play out to no longer cater to upscale listeners, that the soundstage is like a Radioshack. Front row vs way back in the fray of a rock concert. Have any consumer products that have been all-in-one ever survived in terms of quality? Just listen first before considering buying. Trust your ears because the details come down to brain waves, on EEG there are 4 types. Pleasing sounds increase theta. Some people like Rhiana and some don’t. It doesn’t just stop with electronics. That isn’t the end point. The brain is the end point and because of my profession, I always remember that. People with X years of experience and the latest thing-a-magig test equipment are great guides but it does not stop there. Music listening starts with a recorded note and does not end with an electrical current characteristic. It ends with your brain and EEG theta waves are the best yet way we have to measure. Thx

D

Deleted member 48437

Not seeing as peddling, which is inappropriate. Isn’t this a discussion forum, newbie?
I am not afraid to be wrong nor will I pretend to know something which I clearly do not know about, especially in comparison to the respected senior members. Best to take emotion out and just say, respectfully on a forever public forum, three things:
(1). The soundstage of the Cambridge EVO 150 is very flat and sounds like the listener is way back in the crowd at a concert. The timber is fuzzy. These things are subjective on my part
(2) Music does not stop at the speakers. It stops at the brain.
(3). I spent $3,000 and for Whatever reason this EVO 150 sounds flat to me, others seem to agree amongst themselves on other forum sites it is because if class D, it is what is is. It is flat sounding and not just a little. The only thing changed out was the unit. Therefore, not in an attempt to start an online conflagration, there are people that may appreciate my experience of actually having one of these in my house. Do you? If so, does yours lack soundstage? Why would yours sound the same or different than mine? Do you have reasons to support your answer. If constructively so, it would be good to continue with that premise for the folks out there that are thinking about the Cambridge EVO 150
(4). Lastly, “peddling”. What do u do for a living. I am off with the flu. Why aren’t you working, it is daytime?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Now Idk if any of the above is the downfall or an inferior streamer (compared to their CXN) BUT I can say with 100% certainty that upon buying this, changing nothing but the amp with it’s class D design which I believe will play out to no longer cater to upscale listeners, that the soundstage is like a Radioshack. Front row vs way back in the fray of a rock concert. Have any consumer products that have been all-in-one ever survived in terms of quality? Just listen first before considering buying. Trust your ears because the details come down to brain waves, on EEG there are 4 types. Pleasing sounds increase theta. Some people like Rhiana and some don’t. It doesn’t just stop with electronics. That isn’t the end point. The brain is the end point and because of my profession, I always remember that. People with X years of experience and the latest thing-a-magig test equipment are great guides but it does not stop there. Music listening starts with a recorded note and does not end with an electrical current characteristic. It ends with your brain and EEG theta waves are the best yet way we have to measure. Thx
Boy I haven’t heard that much nonesense for a while. Don’t even know where to start…

Soundstage dependent on amp ….

Class D not good ….

….

Theta Waves OMG. ….

Any hard facts or just buzzword bingo?

D

Deleted member 48437

Great question. Now finally I am into my professional arena instead of discussing things I know absolutely nothing about.
Ok for the 4 types of brain waves:

I have to close this out and into separate replies so please be patient for the next one

D

Deleted member 48437

D

Deleted member 48437

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpeg
    IMG_2327.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 17
D

Deleted member 48437

Really? Cool

Hey, this has really brought up back full circle to Audio.
You know those amp-meters that have the ring around them and you put the ring around the wire and it will tell u how much current is flowing?
Well, the electro-encephalograph is nothing more than a voltage /current meter
For all of our purposes, the amp meter does not inject anything into the wire, it only measures it. When u use a voltmeter, it does not contribute anything to the voltage, it is only a measuring device. The EEG is just a measuring device between 2 electrodes. It is that simple.
Ok, 4 types of wave patterns just like a sine wave is one type of pattern. Since the EEG measures, measures the signal, there is nothing that the EEG meter injects.
Here we go…since there is only 4 types of measure-able waves, period, there they are, 4 patterns of electricity.
Now a certain well know audio maker now based in Venice is making a high end audio amp. It is his new creation. It goes by a woman’s name. It’s claim-to-fame and advertising is that it injects (electronically to finally speakers via amplifier) C-waves into the brain to create a more pleasing musical experience. Well, there are only 4 types of waves, C is not one of them. There is simply no way to use electronics to “inject” a new, unknown to any neurologist, an electrical signal into the brain and most certainly through your ears. Remember from above, we already know that theta waves are the relaxing ones. If u told me thar you can create more theta waves by listening to relaxing music I wd agree. I would also suggest that a mellow song might produce more than Rhiana. There is simply not enough theta waves possible in my brain to make more theta waves whilst listening to Rhiana!
Therefore, injecting a new and un-discovered C wave into the brain is like injecting a measurement into something. That is the amp meter or volt meter injecting bullshit-a-watts into a signal that is being measured as a measuring device.
Interesting isn’t it.

Top Bottom