• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roksan Attessa Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 251 84.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 11.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed meausrements of the Roksan Attessa streaming stereo amplifier with phono stage. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $3,199.
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS DAC Review.jpg

Company nails the "high-end lifestyle" look with this differentiated and attractive style. I like the feel of the main control knob but the likes stop there. A tiny orange OLED (?) display behind that sticker is the only user interface. I can't imagine a streamer in this and age to have such a tiny and non-informative display. Product is designed in UK but manufactured in China which I find surprisingly at this price:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS DAC back panel Review.jpg

I was disappointed that no balanced inputs are provided, nor is there a USB DAC interface. Company website said there was an update and said mostly to use the app to get it. So I downloaded and ran it. It found the unit which was nice. But then it asked me for a Bluetooth pin that I could not find in the manual! How did it find it without Bluetooth? Over Ethernet? If so, why does it need Bluetooth to continue? Anyway, I had to ditch the app. Manual has cryptic instructions for firmware update using the power button. I followed that and I *think* it updated. Net, net, very poor experience overall.

I warm up amplifiers at 5 watts for a few minutes. I was shocked that while producing this level of modest power, the right side of the amplifier was almost too hot to touch! Underneath those vents is a compact heatsink. If the case is so hot, I can just imagine how hot the heatsink had gotten and with it, the junction temperature of the output stage.

Edit: could not test streaming because Roon complained that their endpoint implementation was not certified. :(

Roksan Attessa Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard. Unit ships with variable gain with default of Low. Having no idea how to change it, I ran with that and adjusted the volume to get 29 dB gain:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS measurements.png

Upon seeing all that low frequency noise, I thought I could reduce it with various grounding schemes. But nothing made any difference whatsoever. What you see is intrinsic to the amplifier, picking up power supply noise that way. The noise then overwhelms distortion but even that metric is not that great. Overall showing is very poor for an amplifier in this price range:
Best streaming digital stereo amplifier review.png

I wanted to see if it operated better with digital input so connected Toslink input and disconnected RCA cables as to eliminate any chance of ground loops. Identical performance was seen:

Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Toslink measurements.png

Edit: forgot to post the SNR graphs:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS SNR measurements.png

The "good" news here is that the DAC is much better than the amplifier so it is not the bottleneck (see measurements later). From here on, I stayed with analog input so that we can compare performance to other amplifiers. Here is our frequency response:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Frequency Response measurements.png

Strange to see a slight peaking of the response below 20 Hz. Overall response is flat enough and not load dependent which is likely due to class AB design.

Crosstalk was about average (which is again poor for this class of product):
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Crosstalk measurements.png

19+20 kHz intermodulation test shows good performance:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS 19 20 kHz intermoduation distortion measurements.png

This is due to no rise in distortion with frequency as we see in multitone test:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Multitone measurements.png

In other words, performance is good at high frequency, but so so at lower.

With the compact traditional amplifier in there I didn't expect a ton of power and that proved to be the reality:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Power 4 ohm measurements.png

Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Max and Peak Power 4 ohm measurements.png

Ditto for 8 ohm:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Power 8 ohm measurements.png

Sweeping power with different frequencies showcases the frequency independence:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Power 4 ohm vs frequency measurements.png

I saw this strange pattern on the blue channel during warm up:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS warm up measurements.png

I measured the highest levels I have seen for both power on and off:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS Power on off noise pop measurements.png

So best not have sensitive speakers paired with this amplifier.

Roksan Attessa DAC Measurements
I ran a quick dashboard measurements on the DAC, measuring the preamp output:
Roksan Attessa  streaming amplifier dac BlueOS DAC measurements.png

Quite disappointing performance although as noted, better then amplifier:
best streaming amplifier dac review.png

Didn't see the need to keep going.

Conclusions
I really like the look and feel of the Attessa amplifier. It is slick and modern. Sadly the likes stop there. Out of box experience with the app was very poor. The user interface dates back to 1980s. And measured performance shows an amplifier with major weaknesses in noise and distortion. It also runs hot despite not being very powerful.

Company needs to ditch the amplifier and put in a performant class D amplifier in there. No lifestyle product should run this hot and at this price point, they can easily afford a proper class D amplifier. While there, get a proper DAC in there or license one for $99.

I just can't see a reason to recommend the Roksan Attessa streaming amplifier. It is clear all the innovation went into the looks of the unit, and not performance or ease of use.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This performance, plus the outrageous US price? It's 'only' A$2879 in Oz, ~US$1900. I can't fathom pricing sometimes.

The Hifi News pic of the inside hints as to why the PS noise may be so high, with the ripple caps right next to the output stages:

1688623003363.png

They also picked up the sub-bass hump (+9dB at 3 Hz) and their noise was A-weighted so didn't really pick up the PS issue.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this review.

I see it in France between 1900€ and 1300€ (taxes included)

Your measurements also give some perspective on some "professional reviewers"' judgment.
"Diapason d'Or 2022" ? Seriously?
Tsss...

mumadadd

I had a Roksan Kandy integrated amp briefly, years ago. It was raved about by the likes of What Hifi. But it felt like you could fry an egg on the case - so hot it was alarming - and I didn't (subjectively) like the sound. So back it went.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see Stereophile measured it as well.
John Atkinson's comment at the end seems to confirm he's not really happy with the mains noise either ;-)

He also says the right channel is worse, which confirms your findings.
And the fact it's a design issue.
1122RokAttfig03.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI, owner said he heard it at a dealer and it had hum in one channel! So my results must be accurate. See how JA concludes his measurements:

"With separates, it is possible for the designers to maximize resolution and minimize noise. With a single-box solution like the Roksan Attessa, it is difficult to do these things, with the current-heavy power supply in such close proximity to the low-level analog and digital decoding stages. However, the Attessa's measured performance, especially that of the low-noise, low-distortion phono input, indicates that the inevitable compromises have been managed well."

This, while measuring SNR of just 66 dB at 1 watt: "The unweighted, wideband signal/noise ratio (ref. 1W into 8 ohms), taken with the inputs shorted to ground and the volume control set to its maximum, was 66.5dB (average of the two channels), ...."

No wonder these companies sit still and don't think they have to do better. 66 dB is just 11 bits of dynamic range!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Such a waste of a nice case (even if silver is not my thing),at 1.500 euros there are solutions equally nice in terms of looks,technically better and most importantly as we speak of an amp,with actual,serious power.

Edit:US pricing is outrageous,it's about half in Europe.

Thanks Amir!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's a bit of a disaster where it counts- noise. Look at the idle noise in one channel around 900uV- probably mostly hum/mains components. But even the THD alone is average at best, sitting around -80dB (0.01%) at low powers.

Considering the decent OPT stage, with plenty of paralleled devices, a decent bank of local filtering and a reasonable toroidal, it could have been a lot better. The heatsink might be adequate for small rooms in the old country when its -10 degrees, but in summer, or here in Australia, it will overheat like practically every amplifier ever produced by a UK company. I think these former darling brands of the UK HiFi press are shadows of their former selves.

Good correlation between ASR and Stereophile's testing is always good to see. :)

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why didn't this get a headless panther treatment :oops: @amirm

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought about it but that would not have left room for equipment which gets SINAD in 40s and 50s.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't disagree necessarily, but it's based on the ranking and vote questions;

index.php

This falls in the fair or not terrible category.

JSmith

Top Bottom