• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 149 55.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 87 32.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
You know, every time I read that a loudspeaker is 'bland' or 'boring', I find I like them. To me, bland and boring is neutral and uncoloured.

As our transatlantic friends say, YMMV!
S
I love and would prefer big boxes - ymmv on this too ;)

Willem

Major Contributor
Don't know the P3, so really can't comment. I did read the P3ESR review in Stereophile, and the response looked OK, except for the oddity around 4-5kHz.

I really can't get enthused over small passive 'speakers, especially expensive ones, when there are plenty of active 'speakers, from Kali to Genelec, for no more or rather less money.

S.
I still have a pair of 11 Ohm LS3/5a speakers by Rogers. I used them for quite a few years as my desktop speakers, and liked them. However, a few years ago I replaced them with the Harbeth P3ESR and the latter is clearly superior (time to sell the LS3/5a). The P3ESR has more and cleaner bass extension, more power handling (not important in my desk top use case), and a far less coloured sound. I think they are very good as desk top speakers, and in small apartments where anything larger would be in the way. I experimented with a small Kef Kube 8b subwoofer in my 18 sq m study, but decided that I did not need a sub in that room. Out of curiosity I also experimented with the P3s in my much larger 70 sqm main listening room to find out how well they could be integrated with my subwoofers. The answer is that the combination was very impressive, although it did not quite fill the room. But for a smaller apartment where space is at a premium I would recommend them anytime, preferably with some small subwoofers.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I still have a pair of 11 Ohm LS3/5a speakers by Rogers. I used them for quite a few years as my desktop speakers, and liked them. However, a few years ago I replaced them with the Harbeth P3ESR and the latter is clearly superior (time to sell the LS3/5a). The P3ESR has more and cleaner bass extension, more power handling (not important in my desk top use case), and a far less coloured sound. I think they are very good as desk top speakers, and in small apartments where anything larger would be in the way. I experimented with a small Kef Kube 8b subwoofer in my 18 sq m study, but decided that I did not need a sub in that room. Out of curiosity I also experimented with the P3s in my much larger 70 sqm main listening room to find out how well they could be integrated with my subwoofers. The answer is that the combination was very impressive, although it did not quite fill the room. But for a smaller apartment where space is at a premium I would recommend them anytime, preferably with some small subwoofers.
This is what I would expect but the price still seems very high for the performance.

This is what I would expect but the price still seems very high for the performance.
How a product is perceived determines its value. I paid $500 US for my teak 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A's in 1986.
They we're great little bookshelf monitors in their day if not a bit pricey at the time. I had no idea when I purchased them that
their value would sky rocket 40 years later. IMHO, those who are paying these elevated prices are buying nostalgia rather than high-performance, since once again IMHO, there are new moderately priced bookshelf speakers that can easily out perform the LS3/5A on every level from an objective stand point. Still, from a subjective level, the older LS3/5A does have a colored sound that can be very appealing.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
How a product is perceived determines its value. I paid $500 US for my teak 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A's in 1986.
They we're great little bookshelf monitors in their day if not a bit pricey at the time. I had no idea when I purchased them that
their value would sky rocket 40 years later. IMHO, those who are paying these elevated prices are buying nostalgia rather than high-performance, since once again IMHO, there are new moderately priced bookshelf speakers that can easily out perform the LS3/5A on every level from an objective stand point. Still, from a subjective level, the older LS3/5A does have a colored sound that can be very appealing.
Indeed. As Amir said, "The history is not going to pay the bills there."

Westsounds

And now you can buy a new pair for 10 grand !

If anyone is stupid enough to buy a pair. As they're all supposed to sound the same, lol.

Freedom666

I wonder what the response looks like in a bookshelf or at least close to back wall.

Maybe the response gets better in the 200hz to 1khz region?

The speaker was used in small spaces so a side wall close would also fill in

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
And now you can buy a new pair for 10 grand !

If anyone is stupid enough to buy a pair. As they're all supposed to sound the same, lol.

Insanity! I've also just found out that there's a special version of the (in)famous Linn LP12 for a mere £50k! <https://petertyson.co.uk/linn-sondek-lp12-50-turntable>

Top Bottom