• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

rmi dac blinking red?

tinger

Hey folks,
while cleaning my desk and relocating my equipment, i accidently plugged in a wrong power supply to the RMI 2dac. Now the unit wont turn on and the power button is blinking red.
Can find any info on the web/manual.
Anyone have a clue?

many thanks,
ting

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC? May have taken out the input section of the power supply etc. What type of supply did you plug in? Voltage rating and type? I assume you've tried unplugging the supply, waiting a minute or two, then plugging it back in with nothing else connected to the unit?

Probably time to call/email RME. You might try their forum: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=21

OP
T

tinger

Thank you Don.
ya.. i unplugged power supply from strip... no go.

mansr

Major Contributor
Just how wrong was the accidentally connected power supply?

OP
T

tinger

Good morning,
It never occur to me (until now) that I need to use the power supply that came with the unit. I thought if the pin connector fits it should be good.
I have 5 or 6 different units with the same pin connectors.
As to which power supply cause the damage, i hve no idea.. I've tried all of them.
Waiting for RME to reply.
ting

Last edited:
OP
T

tinger

I know what I did.. I plugged in a notebook (i think) power supply.
Its 24v @ 5amps as opposed to 12v @ 2amp

mansr

Major Contributor
I know what I did.. I plugged in a notebook (i think) power supply.
Its 24v @ 5amps as opposed to 12v @ 2amp
Well, that's not going to work, but you already found that out. I'm a bit surprised something as expensive as the RME DAC doesn't have overvoltage protection. Hopefully it can be fixed at not too great a cost.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm a bit surprised something as expensive as the RME DAC doesn't have overvoltage protection.

It may have a sacrificial crowbar type protection which has done its job to prevent major downstream destruction or it could be badly designed and is now BER (beyond economic repair).

Double the rated voltage on the main feed would have resulted in a huge increase in dissipation for any and all types of front end rail regulators, be they linear, buck or switching. There will be destruction, and the fact that the LED is flashing, not off altogether means we have some rails still alive and others likely not.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given how easy it is to connect the wrong power adapter and the potential damage you'd hope they'd incorporate internal protection of some sort. Seems to be the curse of the modern world that we all have drawers full of various power adapters, many of which look the same.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Given how easy it is to connect the wrong power adapter and the potential damage you'd hope they'd incorporate internal protection of some sort. Seems to be the curse of the modern world that we all have drawers full of various power adapters, many of which look the same.

It would be relatively easy for all manufacturers to create a standard where various sockets/plugs were used for certain voltage and current ranges and the SMPS adapter quizzes* the device, the device provides an ID, and the power adapter adjusts its voltage, polarity and current limit (if necessary) to suit it.

You could have say 1.2-9V (2.5A max) adapters, 9.5-15V (4A max) adapters, 15.5V-23V (8A max) and perhaps 24-36V (4A max) adapters. That would cover the majority of CE plug-pack supplies devices and their typical consumption.

4 different connectors, auto polarity, voltage and current limit (if needed).

*a low level medium freq AC with ripple control style bi-directional communication.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be relatively easy for all manufacturers to create a standard where various sockets/plugs were used for certain voltage and current ranges and the SMPS adapter quizzes* the device, the device provides an ID, and the power adapter adjusts its voltage, polarity and current limit (if necessary) to suit it.

There's USB C Power Delivery now which negotiates anything between 5V/.5A to 20V/5A

OP
T

tinger

Hi folks, wanna give u guys an update. I wrote rmi and they gave me a rma number to send unit to fort Lauderdale. They asked if the unit were purchased here in the us. I told them I wasn't sure as I'm the 2nd owner. In any event got an email yesterday they sent out a replacement t unit. Fantastic service.
In Shanghai now for canjam..gf found crazy cheap airfare from jfk. 500$ ish. Fantastic city.. CCTV s everywhere. All subway station entries require luggage /handbag xray. No google infrastructure using hotel or any wifi... just downloaded Bing to access ASR. Google stuffs works fine using mobile data (roaming).

Wombat

Master Contributor

And never the one you need. ;)

OP
T

tinger

Just got back from my trip. The replacement ADI2 was waiting at the front desk. I was super suprised that they sent me a brand new unit/in box shrink wrapped with all accessories instead of a refurbished unit. I was explicit in my correspondence with them that I had erroneously plugged in a wrong power supply and is the 2nd owner. Fantastic service!

Top Bottom