• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent DAC for £150 max?

OP
F

FiftyTifty

Maybe I'm being dumb but I'm still not understanding? Outside of perhaps sinad the reviews are not given scores and the highest sinad measured is 123? If it is this you are referring to I can assure you it's not a big difference.

No worries. I'm just saying that the SU-1 is coming out as the king of bang for buck by far (at least, without balanced).

C-100 is a star performer... it *SHOULD* be identical to the well reviewed SU-1 but with a few additional niceties.

If you cant live with the few minor operational issues it has like no vol. knob, not great BT then its a no brainer.

edit. I thought you had a yamaha receiever

for the above actives since it has XLR the M300se is the obvious choice... now its $120 usd but really i wouldnt spend less given you are using your dac to cover up operational issues with actives

i certainly would not use a plain fixed output dac if it were me... BUT some people can manage that
Yeah I'm coming round to the balanced thing. I don't have a receiver, but a pair of Yamaha speakers.

Not bad at all. Hmm....

With the price of balanced dacs, I'm wondering. What if I bought two SMSL SU-1's , set the first for my Yamaha speakers & the second for my Edirols, and changed their volume nobs to get equal volume?

Basically faking balanced by cheaping out and getting a seperate DAC for each pair of speakers. Or is that just nonsense because balanced DAC is something different and better?

TK750

No worries. I'm just saying that the SU-1 is coming out as the king of bang for buck by far (at least, without balanced).

Yeah I'm coming round to the balanced thing. I don't have a receiver, but a pair of Yamaha speakers.

Not bad at all. Hmm....

With the price of balanced dacs, I'm wondering. What if I bought two SMSL SU-1's , set the first for my Yamaha speakers & the second for my Edirols, and changed their volume nobs to get equal volume?

Basically faking balanced by cheaping out and getting a seperate DAC for each pair of speakers. Or is that just nonsense because balanced DAC is something different and better?
No probs, yeh looks like a good choice to me. Unless you have problems with ground loop noise balanced isn't going to make any difference. It's one of those things that's nice to have but by no means necessary. Not sure what you're on about with the two dacs but sounds completely pointless to me. Hope you find something that suits anyway!

OP
F

FiftyTifty

No probs, yeh looks like a good choice to me. Unless you have problems with ground loop noise balanced isn't going to make any difference. It's one of those things that's nice to have but by no means necessary. Not sure what you're on about with the two dacs but sounds completely pointless to me. Hope you find something that suits anyway!
Someone said witht wo pairs of different speakers to get a DAC with 2x balanced stereo outputs. I was thinking that if it's to do with the DAC output, get one DAC per pair?

Topping D10 balanced. Look at the review index. Simply the best under your budget point. I still use mine as a digital bridge.

It relies on USB input, which is ehhhh. And I also have no spare USB ports except through this splitter I have but it's having to compete with all the other connected devices.

OP
F

FiftyTifty

Can you order from France, perhaps?

Amazon also has a used unit for 72GBP https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-M-S-L-MQA-CD-Decoder-AK4493S-768kHz/dp/B0C1Y7C9HH/
Ah hell. Went to checkout, and it's only after calculating shipping and trying to purchase they hit me with:

A minimum purchase total of 160,00 € (tax excl.) is required to validate your order, current purchase total is 74,17 € (tax excl.).

So I have to spend 180 quid total to actually get it. Which is over my budget.

Do I really have to buy from AliExpress? That 15 day shipping is eugh.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah hell. Went to checkout, and it's only after calculating shipping and trying to purchase they hit me with:

A minimum purchase total of 160,00 € (tax excl.) is required to validate your order, current purchase total is 74,17 € (tax excl.).
Ohhh that is pretty unfortunate. Didn't know that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom