• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Stealth and an ADI-2 DAC. For me, it is sufficient. Only when listening to very quiet classical recordings i reach the 0dB point of the ADI-2. I almost never do this though.
If you want to listen to quiet or high dynamic range records, you could face the limits of the ADI-2 sometimes. So, if you want to test which one is better, don't bother with "sound quality " differences, because there should not be any, but concentrate on your most quiet recordings and see if the ADI-2 gets loud enough for you with the E3. If it does, you probably don't need the 2/4.

johny_2000

Thanks for your response. You guessed correct, I'm from Northern Virginia. We have many high end Audio shops near by which carries the regular ADI-2 DAC FS but not the 2/4 pro or even pro. Del Pro Audio is really a good store but they are in New York pretty far from my place. But surely I'll check with them if there is a provision to audition them, may be when I visit NY, if they have it in stock I can check, I'm purchasing the E3 this week, I'll first test it with RME Adi-2 at my nearby Audio Store. Thanks again for the info.
You can purchase it through online retailers or directly from RME USA.
Both major ones have them in stock. Expedited 2-day shipping included.

Info on the new RME DPS-2 and LNI-2 power supply units dropped today, manuals as exhaustive as ever.

Prices:

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jruser

Does the 2/4 Pro SE ever get discounted, or is full price pretty much it?

PETERCALV

Hello, I am going to purchase the 2/4 Pro SE, and would like to use it with my Brise Audio Tsuranagi Amp. Does anyone know if the 4.4 socket on the RME is grounded?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It is.

Though I am not quite sure if that really was your question. The output is real balanced so you need to be careful connencting unbalanced devices to this output.

octavius

I'm playing with the idea of trying the adi 2/4 instead of the phono preamp Pro-Ject tube box s2. I would like to try the adi 2/4 as a phono preamp with the ability to super adjust the sound of the parametric EQ when listening to vinyl. Does anyone here have this setup?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm playing with the idea of trying the adi 2/4 instead of the phono preamp Pro-Ject tube box s2. I would like to try the adi 2/4 as a phono preamp with the ability to super adjust the sound of the parametric EQ when listening to vinyl. Does anyone here have this setup?
Think @Rja4000 mesasured and tried it as a phono and reported on here somewhere. Worked well iirc.

morillon

Major Contributor

octavius

Thnank guys for the info. But own experience is also appreciated ;)

magchiel

Works brilliant with my TD160 and MM cartridge (note that to my knowledge, the ADI 2/4 is *not* compatible with MC). Indeed with the room curves applied to vinyl. Simplest setup I could think of, and not more expensive compared to e.g. MiniDSP Flex Digital with an ADI-2 DAC and Cambridge Audio Duo (the alternative I researched). Currently using RCA to TS converters and the ground to the DSUB breakout cable as indicated in the manual. You can easily set the required input gain. When rewiring the tone arm I shall upgrade this to XLR connectors.

I still think the Auto Ref level feature in conjunction with a power amp set to low gain (in my case a Purifi) is what sets an ADI-2 based setup apart. You may have have more PEQ bands with e.g. a Wiim as a processor (when the promised 10 band arrives), but as shown in the Topping D50 III thread not all PEQs are created equal, so I'm for now still assured the ADI 2/4 Pro SE based setup is as good as it gets. And 5 bands should be sufficient to sort out the most problematic room modes anyway.

Editted for typo's.

Last edited:

octavius

Thx magchiel for the comment.
I use several MM carts and I do not plan to ever switch to MC, so MM support is completely sufficient for me. Now I have an adi 2 dac fs, but I would like to sell it and replace it with an adi 2/4, which would be much more versatile. I would basically drop the Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 from the chain and replace everything with an adi 2/4. The price is still quite high and I have not noticed in the period of 3/4 years that I would have seen a promotion for this product somewhere ;(

I have one and am currently setting it up exactly how you want to use it. The new computer control software should make it a lot easier to set the eq for the cartridge.

It's an extremely fine phono stage in my opinion and if you are only going to use mm cartridges I can't see how you could do better.

However waxwing is equally as good in my opinion but offers a lot more features. I alternate between the two of them (not that you asked!)

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thx magchiel for the comment.
I use several MM carts and I do not plan to ever switch to MC, so MM support is completely sufficient for me. Now I have an adi 2 dac fs, but I would like to sell it and replace it with an adi 2/4, which would be much more versatile. I would basically drop the Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 from the chain and replace everything with an adi 2/4. The price is still quite high and I have not noticed in the period of 3/4 years that I would have seen a promotion for this product somewhere ;(
For the price of ADI Pro 2/4 SE You get either a decent
- Phonostage
- DAC
- Preamplifyer
- ADC!
BUT nothing all-in-one, and EQ included.

octavius

Yes, I understand as I mentioned in my post before I have already ADI 2DAC FS so I appreciated great Headphone amp and all features of ADI. As the the user Bland_username42069 wrote Waxwing are an interesting product that I could also use the question is where to buy in Europe?
I could connect coax out from WAXWING into my ADI 2 DAC FS for fewer funds, as all other features already have in ADI 2 DAC FS.
Is the analog output of Waxwing in decent quality? Or is it better to use Coax output straight into DAC input?

Yes, I understand as I mentioned in my post before I have already ADI 2DAC FS so I appreciated great Headphone amp and all features of ADI. As the the user Bland_username42069 wrote Waxwing are an interesting product that I could also use the question is where to buy in Europe?
I could connect coax out from WAXWING into my ADI 2 DAC FS for fewer funds, as all other features already have in ADI 2 DAC FS.
Is the analog output of Waxwing in decent quality? Or is it better to use Coax output straight into DAC input?
I think you can only buy via amazon. That is how I bought mine at least. (I am in UK)

I have only used it with optical out into rme so I do not know about the dac inside the waxwing.

Personally I think waxwing + your rme would give you an extremely high quality solution. Even if you only play very clean stereo Lps / 45s the noise reduction feature on waxwing makes playback that much more pleasurable (in my opinion) and the RME makes a superb preamplifier (as you already know)

octavius

Did you pay some customs duty or tax?

Top Bottom