• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

DancingShaman

For me using analogue input my two Genelec SAM 2.1 desktop setups works very well with great sound, and using AES would probably not improve the sound at all.

For one 2.1 setup I’m using the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and it works great and much cheaper than the Pro models that have AES output. My DT1990 can be driven to very loud volume using it.

For the monitors I’m using GLM for room EQ, but for the DT1990 I’ve reduced the peak around 8.1 kHz.

The ADI-2 Pro and bigger brother has analogue input, which you’re not using, that contributes to the high price.
Thank you Trell! We have a very similar setup it seems. It's much cheaper indeed. I will most definitely keep this option in mind.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you Trell! We have a very similar setup it seems. It's much cheaper indeed. I will most definitely keep this option in mind.

I've also an RME Fireface UCX II audio interface that I connect to the ADI-2 DAC FS using optical for monitoring, so the analog inputs of the ADI-2 Pro is of no use for me as it's not a mic preamp. Nor do I need the feature of two headphone outputs working at the same time with their own EQ and volume control that the ADI-2 Pro has.

As the price jumps from ADI-2 DAC FS to ADI-2 Pro to ADI-2/4 Pro are quite substantial (at least for me) it's worth having a look at one needs. My setup with UCX II and ADI-2 DAC FS is similar price as the ADI-2/4 Pro, but for my needs the current combo is useful for what I want.

My other desktop Genelec 2.1 uses the MOTU M2 instead.

Using AES input on your Genelec may cause the ISS (auto standby) not working correctly due to digital bit clock sensed from the digital input. This is the case when using headphones, say. That might or might not be a an issue for you. For me it is.

Last edited:

azhu

Is there any advantage to using the PH1/2 and 3/4 in balanced mode vs just the 4.4mm Pentaconn connector?

Trell

Major Contributor
Is there any advantage to using the PH1/2 and 3/4 in balanced mode vs just the 4.4mm Pentaconn connector?

One connector less? The vast majority of head phones have no use for the power given by a balanced connection.

staticV3

Master Contributor
No. They carry the same signal:
AI_Image.png

Last edited:

Deemic

How loud do you listen? According to Tyll's measurements, it only takes 0.106V to reach 90dB. That means 1V is 109.5dB. The RME Pro FS BE has an output of the headphone amp of 1.5W @ 32ohms which is ~7V. 7V into your headphone is 126dB. I don't see why you would need the balanced mode or the 2/4 Pro. For me, the benefit of the RME Pro and 2/4 isn't the bridged mode but that you can power two headphones with different EQs at different volume levels. The extra power on the 2/4 is nice but not necessary for pretty much 99% of headphones.
At what frequency? I like bass. Alot.

Deemic

We do offer this adapter (2 xTRS to XLR 4 pole) for about a year now, because other known sources stopped to supply it.. Contact Synthax US or whoever your distributor is.
That's great. I know it was available before I purchased my DAC, then it wasn't. I went back from time to time to see if there was any update and there wasn't unless it's buried in one of the many threads. I eventually found one, and it changed my entire perspective of the DAC from simply great to downright phenomenal. I'm sure many ADI-2 Pro owners would like to be aware of this. There should be a "sticky" in the ADI-2/4 ADI-2 Pro DAC series thread in the RME Forum, or even the product page on the website, to make people aware that it is now available again.

KiyPhi

At what frequency? I like bass. Alot.
Does it matter? Even if you have a 10dB bass shelf, you shouldn't be listening at 116dB either. If you want to go deaf, be my guest. I measured ears for several years and I know very well what kind of damage those levels cause and how unaware the people getting the damage are for the most part.

Deemic

Does it matter? Even if you have a 10dB bass shelf, you shouldn't be listening at 116dB either. If you want to go deaf, be my guest. I measured ears for several years and I know very well what kind of damage those levels cause and how unaware the people getting the damage are for the most part.
It does matter. Source material matters. Headphone efficiency matters. Where the roll off is on that 10dB shelf matters. How much other frequencies are dropped matters. I suspect these are things you already know. I was not maxing out the amplifier output unbalanced in the first place or implied that the volume wasnt enough. It just simply sounds better balanced with the increased overhead power availability, or maybe a change in output impedance, running through my Sony's. I understand hearing damage risks. It's not something I take lightly, and I'm not doing marathon sessions at high volume, or suggest anyone else should either. But if a great song hits on my playlist I am going to enjoy my investment to its potential as I see fit.

KiyPhi

It just simply sounds better balanced with the increased overhead power availability, or maybe a change in output impedance, running through my Sony's.
Overhead power doesn't really change how a headphone sounds and the difference between output impedance in SE and balanced on the RME is negligible.
But if a great song hits on my playlist I am going to enjoy my investment to its potential as I see fit.
Feel free to. My part asking if it matters was because regardless of what frequency you are calculating your volume level at, there is sufficient volume in SE mode that the difference won't be important. The RME has more power than pretty much anyone will ever need. My old HE6SE holds the current crown for the least sensitive headphones measured and they were good with 1W into 32 ohms for listening volume. And that gave me room to turn up quiet songs or songs I was really into. I know I listen more quiet than most but I stand firm that there is plenty of power in SE for pretty much any use case.

It just simply sounds better balanced with the increased overhead power availability, or maybe a change in output impedance, running through my Sony's.

Beeb-beeb-beeb... ---Audiophile-old-fashioned detected---

:D

Going "balanced" (=bridged) increases volume level 6 dB, if ADI´s volume setting stays the same.

So you forgot to counter this i.e. back off ADI´s volume that much when doing those subjective "balanced" vs. non-"balanced" -comparisons?

Chester

Another amateur question from myself on this unit, I did search here and other places for an answer but couldn’t find one:

The analog input on my unit always shows some rising and falling of signal even when nothing is connected to the analog inputs. Currently it’s bobbing around -60dB as below. Is this expected behaviour or should the analog input be silent when nothing is connected to it?

867EAA8F-039F-468C-AA46-B8D48511786A.jpeg

Many thanks

Another amateur question from myself on this unit, I did search here and other places for an answer but couldn’t find one:

The analog input on my unit always shows some rising and falling of signal even when nothing is connected to the analog inputs. Currently it’s bobbing around -60dB as below. Is this expected behaviour or should the analog input be silent when nothing is connected to it?

Many thanks
What is connected to your analogue inputs? Whatever it is, the noise floor is around -57dB FS. If nothing is connected then it shouldn't be showing a level that high, IMO. I guess it could if you have the RIAA mode set to On, with a high sensitivity setting?

Chester

What is connected to your analogue inputs? Whatever it is, the noise floor is around -57dB FS. If nothing is connected then it shouldn't be showing a level that high, IMO. I guess it could if you have the RIAA mode set to On, with a high sensitivity setting?

There is nothing connected at all. I turned RIAA off and set sensitivity to the highest and it drops to about -95dB. Should this be dropping to nothing or is this what I should expect?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is nothing connected at all. I turned RIAA off and set sensitivity to the highest and it drops to about -95dB. Should this be dropping to nothing or is this what I should expect?
An input with nothing connected has a very high impedance. It is expected that a high-impedance connection receives much more noise compared to a low-impedance connection. You should mute inputs that are not connected, or if you want to measure the noise level of the ADC, the connection should be shorted.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you refer to the peak values shown on the display with RIAA mode turned on - yes. Shorting the input with 220 Ohm the display now shows about -90 dBFS peak. SNR is measured RMS (typically 8 to 10 dB lower value), use DIGICheck to see the respective values (here around -100 dBFS).

Even without RIAA the older Pro showed lower values on open inputs, simply because it has 20 kOhm balanced input impedance, while the 2/4 has 90 kOhm. That makes a big difference in that irrelevant case of nothing connected.

Top Bottom