• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Shorting plugs are usually self-made. I have 0 Ohms, 150 Ohms and 220 Ohms for different purposes. There should be no difference here if using 220 or 0, I just grabbed what was nearby...

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, MC_RME
Are shorting plugs easily available? Is this the optimum value?
Between which terminals is it 220 ohm (in case I have to make my own)?
I personally use a 150 ohm XLR for noise measurements.
Just a male XLR connector with a small 150 ohm resistor soldered between pins 2 and 3.

Last edited:

Cowbell Studio

Hi there,

is anyone can confirm me that this unit could use XLR 1/2 OUT from ADAT 1/2 SRC, and send LINE IN 1/2 to TRS OUT 3/4 ? Is the device should be clocked by the master ADAT device ?

I read the manual but I must be dumb, I can't find the answer...

Furthermore, if used as an USB audio interface, could I be able to switch TRS OUT 3/4 SRC from LINE IN 1/2 to ADAT 1/2 easily ?

To explain a bit more, I want to use this device as my monitoring controler to my studio monitors connected to TRS OUTPUT 3/4 while mastering with analog devices inserted between XLR 1/2 OUTPUTS to ANALOG INPUTS 1/2 and signal coming either from ADAT 1/2 (with the master ADAT device being my main audio interface) or USB 1/2 with the unit as main USB audio interface and the USB 1/2 stream routed directly to TRS OUTPUT 3/4 .

Finally, is the EQ could be applied distinctly to OUTPUT 1/2 and 3/4 (I want to use it to compensate some issues with the acoustic of my room, so only applied on OUTPUT 3/4, ideally with a different curve on each side) ?

EDIT : is the converters quality will be a real improvement coming from an UA Apollo x8p ?

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Which DAC has the same performance of this RME but costs a lot less ?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Which DAC has the same performance of this RME but costs a lot less ?
Honest to god almost anything. DACs are a solved problem. Pick one you like the look of in your price range, buy some Genelecs, and go enjoy music instead of fretting about things.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The least expensive DACs that can match the 2/4 Pro SE in distortion and noise are the SMSL D-6, D-6S, DO100, and the Khadas Tone2.

I don't know if they can match it in frequency response though.
They, for sure, won't match it -or even remotely approach it- in functionalities.
First, we speak here of a double stereo DAC + stereo ADC. With DSP. And double headphones output.
And so on.
So you won't buy this one to use solely as a DAC.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Purely as a DAC how much better is this MSB DAC than the RME ?
Screenshot_20231225_021048_Chrome.jpg

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The least expensive DACs that can match the 2/4 Pro SE in distortion and noise are the SMSL D-6, D-6S, DO100, and the Khadas Tone2.
It all depends what you want to compare.

The DACs you listed will match the RME performance on a narrow voltage range.
Outside that range, the RME will draw circles around them, performance-wise.

Here is a plot of SINAD vs level (Volt) for the RME ADI-2 Pro fs R (mono).
You see the back-then top-of-the-line Topping D90LE in the same plot.

2022-08-29 12_52_56-Greenshot (1).png

The RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE has an even wider range above 114dB SINAD.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It all depends what you want to compare.

The DACs you listed will match the RME performance on a narrow voltage range.
Outside that range, the RME will draw circle around them, performance-wise.

Here is a plot of SINAD vs level (Volt) for the RME ADI-2 Pro fs R (mono).
You see the back-then top-of-the-line Topping D90LE in the same plot.

View attachment 336923
The RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE has an even wider range above 114dB SINAD.
How does it compare to the new D90 III ?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any DAC that measures better than this RME ?
With the graph above, I just wanted to highlight that, as often, there is no such thing as one absolute ideal.

The optimal solution will depend of your specific use case.

What do you want to drive with your DAC ? A high sensitivity vintage integrated amp, or a low sensitivity (low gain) balanced inputs power amp ?
What is your typical listening level ?

Depending on the answer to those questions, one device or another could be the "best performing" (/measuring) for you.

The big saling point of the RMEs, IMO, is that they will excel in a wide variety of use cases. They'll be like your Swiss army knife for audio. An invaluable tool for audio professionals -who will want (close to) the best in a wide variety of situations- but also for advanced amateurs, who are always seeking for excellence and may want to try several solutions.
With the RMEs, the DAC/ADC will never be your limiting factor.

So there for sure are DACs that measure better (although anything above 110dB SINAD may be considered as excellent - and will be audibly indistinguishable) for a specific use case. Or are cheaper.
But I don't know of any which would bring such flexibility with excellence.

And then, you have those added functionalities...

Top Bottom