• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

unpluggged

Sonic-Wall

Why doesn't RME add a built in streamer to their DACs
Then they would be really perfect
In general, RME doesn't care about their HiFi customers, even though the ADI-2 should be now their fastest growing product family.
Just get the Eversolo DMP-A8 which is an amazing streamer incl. a DSP and provides a better DAC than the RME ADI-2/4 Pro.

s9_0d1n

In general, RME doesn't care about their HiFi customers, even though the ADI-2 should be now their fastest growing product family.
Just get the Eversolo DMP-A8 which is an amazing streamer incl. a DSP and provides a better DAC than the RME ADI-2/4 Pro.
If I understand @Rja4000 's point correctly the "Provides a better DAC" part of your post is only true in a very narrow set of conditions which will most likely not be hit in everyone's listening environment because people have different speakers/amps combinations with different sensitivities and like to listen at different volumes.
The testing for "max performance possible" doesn't always overlap with your or my listening conditions (I don't always listen at max volume).
In fact...I NEVER do since I live in the real world.

Sonic-Wall

True. If the maximum performance or sound quality were most important to me, then I would certainly not have an RME DAC.

unpluggged

If the maximum performance or sound quality were most important to me, then I would certainly not have an RME DAC.
One has yet to show in a statistically significant series of controlled double blind tests that RME ADI-2 series' sound quality is somehow inferior to other SOTA DACs. And I'm not convinced if this is true for "performance" (whatever that could stand for), too.

s9_0d1n

True. If the maximum performance or sound quality were most important to me, then I would certainly not have an RME DAC.
Again...if "max performance" or "sound quality" are important to you...why do you say you would not have the/a RME DAC?

As mentioned previously the magic they do with volume control is not done by any other so called SOTA DAC's measured on this site (so far?).
At least none that I saw...

This means in practice a better sound quality across a larger interval of possible volume levels you are likely to listen to.
Again...when I'm at home I never listen at the maximum levels used for the devices under measurement here (measured this way to maximize SINAD).
If one goes below maximal levels, the ADI DAC / PRO series does a better job of keeping specs (SINAD included) up at various volume levels than any other device I've seen measured on this site.

asrUser

Nvm. So many threads about this ADI I am wondering where should be the main thread. Btw. I wonder why amirm still didn't measure this device?

Sonic-Wall

@asrUser
I guess, because the RME ADI-2/4 Pro is not competitive in terms of measurements compared to the top DACs.

@s9_0d1n
Just have a look again at the Eversolo DMP-A8, which provides a fully symmetrical R2R-based analog volume control, or look at the Topping DX9.
Both DACs are using the leading-edge AKM 4499EX DAC chips compared to the lower-Tier ESS 9038Q2M and easily outperform the RME.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
@asrUser
I guess, because the RME ADI-2/4 Pro is not competitive in terms of measurements compared to the top DACs.

@s9_0d1n
Just have a look again at the Eversolo DMP-A8, which provides a fully symmetrical R2R-based analog volume control, or look at the Topping DX9.
Both DACs are using the leading-edge AKM 4499EX DAC chips compared to the lower-Tier ESS 9038Q2M and easily outperform the RME.
Someone's just told you about RME's Auto Ref function and you just ignore it.

The RME has a superb volume control.

If you read the RME manual you might learn something.

Sonic-Wall

„ignored“ - sort of, I disabled it.
Actually, I hate it if volume is changing all of a sudden!

unpluggged

„ignored“ - sort of, I disabled it.
Actually, I hate it if volume is changing all of a sudden!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I bet you didn't even try to look what the auto ref level is all about.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the case of 2/4 Pro, RME didn't opt to send a review unit. I suppose they determined a review wouldn't increase the number of sales significantly, unlike ADI-2 DAC which was sent by RME.
SE in "RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE" stands for "Special Edition", if I'm not wrong.

wolframite

How to use 3.5mm jack IEMs with ADI-2/4 Pro?

Can I plug them in directly into the "middle" socket? (the one between Phones 3/4 and Phones 1/2)
Or do I need an adapter? (then, what kind of an adapter)

wolframite

How to use 3.5mm jack IEMs with ADI-2/4 Pro?

Can I plug them in directly into the "middle" socket? (the one between Phones 3/4 and Phones 1/2)
Or do I need an adapter? (then, what kind of an adapter)

From RME ADI 2/4 forum:

• Use a normal TRS 6.35 mm to TRS 3.5 mm adapter on either PH 1/2 or PH 3/4, and set: • I/O / Phones Out #/# / Settings / Auto Ref Level: OFF • I/O / Phones Out #/# / Settings / Ref Level: IEM

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@asrUser
It absolutely is. Not to mention that "top DACs" you're probably thinking about are indeed way less capable preamps (>12Vrms + Auto Ref Level). DAC measurements are not all about SINAD @1kHz/4Vrms. And I'm not even mentioning that it's also a State Of The Art ADC and headamp, paired with a very capable DSP.

Also, regarding overall quality, features and support, as a whole product, it just wipes the floor with any DAC that I'm aware of...

Last edited:
Top Bottom