• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Olli

Forum Donor
And 4 balanced outputs on the back if I understand correctly. That's nice. Currently if you want to use 4 DAC Channels you'll have to use the hedphone PH 3/4 output which is unbalanced, i.e. if you want to run a 4 channel 2.2 setup.

1661873741190.png

DonDish

MC said that the manual for adi 2/4 will be due maybe this(or next) week perhaps, being friday and all. This will give us some meat to why and what this is. Speculation will be over. Final specs announced.

I must say I was suprised when they announced the new linear PSU. An audiophile pleaser!? I dont like there this is going :D Lol

DonDish

I think the ADI-2/4 se is going to be quite a different beast than the PRO. With 21 relays, more than double? from PRO. Added ref volume range perhaps.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the ADI-2/4 se is going to be quite a different beast than the PRO. With 21 relays, more than double? from PRO. Added ref volume range perhaps.
Added volume ranges and more flexible routing.
More powerful DSP.
And different ADC and DAC chips.

That's what I understood.

Last edited:

iconoclast

Does anyone know if you can have two balanced headphones connected at the same time? E.g. one pair via the pentaconn and one via PH1/2 + PH3/4 w/ XLR adapter (like the ADI-2 FS R), and then switch between them? For me, it could only be considered "endgame" if I wouldn't have to physically (dis)connect my primary and secondary headphones all the time like some dirty peasant :)

DonDish

Does anyone know if you can have two balanced headphones connected at the same time? E.g. one pair via the pentaconn and one via PH1/2 + PH3/4 w/ XLR adapter (like the ADI-2 FS R), and then switch between them? For me, it could only be considered "endgame" if I wouldn't have to physically (dis)connect my primary and secondary headphones all the time like some dirty peasant :)
Maybe, or maybe you have to keep doing the dirty peasant work I want x-over to build a kickass 2.2 system to put some ripples into my saturday night mojitos. I could use some peasants to pour me another one though

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You could connect both balanced phones at the same time (they are just wired in parallel then), but there is no switching between them possible.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
So what I don't understand is why will there be an optional RME DPS-2 linear supply, will it boast any meaningful improvements or practical benefits? Is it just to cater to the HiFi crowd or are there going to be a few substantiated scientific claims at launch to change our mind?

Trell

Major Contributor
So what I don't understand is why will there be an optional RME DPS-2 linear supply, will it boast any meaningful improvements or practical benefits? Is it just to cater to the HiFi crowd or are there going to be a few substantiated scientific claims at launch to change our mind?
RME will not claim any audible benefit and has asked written so, as I recall.

DonDish

The SMPS for adi 2/4 will solve some "current leaking" issue in the old style non grounded SMPS. It now has a grounded connection. On a standing foot I dont know what it means. MC has given a brief description in ADI 2/4 thread at RME forum about this and the new LPS. I havent given this much thought yet. I will wait for a full description and an actual product (and price ofcourse). Alot of people swear to LPS, and if RME surveyd this and found that alot of audiophiles actually refuse to buy a product with an adapter type SMPS it just starts to make sense. So what may look like a sellout could just be a way to reach a broader market. So WTH it probably wont sound worse, just a little more confidence for nervous people. With the tone RME sets with their products it would be strange to a degree of schizophrenia to wander of into audiophile mumbo jumbo. OK RME are sales people, but I think they are %99 straight shooters. Hence MC doesnt make a claim to better sound, and how could he. They have touted the SMPS solution all along as good enough or better. Anyway clean power is always a nice thing, right. About SMPS Ive never heard any switching noise or buzz sound when I touch my headphones.

For me to buy this it would be a minimum techspec to be able to connect ADI-2 PRO fsr and UCXII at the same time. Or at least since the ADI 2/4 will connect with a special contact to have the option to connect another 12v device at the same time and that it drive these devices with no effort..

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First rule of business is to supply what the customer wants. I was once purchasing a roll of speaker cable. I said that I did want OFC cable (It used to be cheaper to go for a larger wire gauge). The woman serving me said they only stock OFC cable. As most customers demanded OFC cable it was more expensive to carry stocks of OFC and TPC/ETP when there was little call for TPC/ETP cable.

DonDish

If RME goes for RME branded neutrino shielded cabling for 3k a feet Im outa here.

FINFET

Forum Donor
About that LPS, it reminds me an episode of Friends S10 people just worried there's something wrong with the "Phalange" on the plane, so they all got off the plane and refused to board until a good Phalange is equipped.
Seems RME know their audience added that Phalange for their device.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First rule of business is to supply what the customer wants.
First rule in business is to stick to your business goals and principles.
And to supply what your customer wants (and is ready to pay for) that fits to that.
And to make money out of it, of course.

If there is a demand from customers for this LPS, and after warning repeatedly that this, quite certainly, won't make any audible difference, why not to sale it, while sticking to their principles, which seems to NEVER promise things they won't deliver, and to keep results to the same high standards ?

Last edited:

DonDish

About that LPS, it reminds me an episode of Friends S10 people just worried there's something wrong with the "Phalange" on the plane, so they all got off the plane and refused to board until a good Phalange is equipped.
Seems RME know their audience added that Phalange for their device.
Lol! Very clever :D Im all about science and RME converters. On one of those Fokker50 plane trips I could do with some mojo and a decent Phalange though :D

DonDish

While I can sit here and make fun of it Im actually a bit exited about this product. Rmbr, alot of very serious and heavyweight companies put alot of energy into designing PSU´s and clean/dirtybox solutions. While the SMPS never gave me any trouble, I cant say I like it. So if price and spec is right I will certainely get one. So laughs aside. I like this..

Top Bottom