• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

spnc

I do feel slightly called out! It's true I've shied away from testing the headroom before deciding to use my other headphone amp because I was worried about driving the ADI-2 into clipping, but I'm not sure I agree with this entirely.

Since you've replied to me earlier this week, I've tested some songs and the level meters every now and then do come to close to max (even with software ReplayGain & EQ turned on) when there are very deep/low notes playing:
  • Tsuyoshi Ujiki's "Dry Your Tears BGM" from Hokuto No Ken Soundtrack III (original 1986 CD) hits -9 dB peaks, but 0 dBr is quiet. I have to switch ReplayGain to "track mode" for this song (-1 dB peaks, highest I've ever seen) to become "loud," but not "loud enough," at 0 dBr.
  • Tupac's "Hail Mary" from The Don Killuminati (original 1996 CD) hits -7 dB peaks and 0 dBr is just "moderately loud." Same goes for a couple of other songs from this album.
  • Michael Jackson's "Thriller" from Thriller (first digital pressing 1982 CD with pre-emphasis) hits -3 dB peaks and 0 dBr is "loud," but not "loud enough" (pre-emphasis removed). Couple of other songs from this album also don't get "loud enough," just "loud."
  • Hans Zimmer's "Imperfect Lock" from Interstellar (expanded edition 2020 CD) hits -2 dB peaks and 0 dBr is just not loud enough. Many songs from this album don't get higher than "moderately loud" at 0 dBr while hitting -2 dB peaks.
With the exception of the first song, the highest the level meter goes is -2 dB, so definitely not driving in first gear here. Yes, much of the time it is below -10 dB for the entirety of some songs, even with my DSP settings. Again, for most of the music I listen to, the RME works like a charm and gets plenty loud before I even need to push the volume to 0 dBr. It is just that 5% of the time that it simply runs out at 0 dBr. It was the Hans Zimmer music that made me decide to use my SMSL SP200 originally.

Again, I apologize for not having SPL data to quantify my subjective claims of loudness, but I take great care of my hearing and would not risk playing at levels that would be fatiguing except for one or two few songs at a time at most. This may or may not be helpful, but here's how I would describe different levels of loudness:
  • "Quiet" is like overhearing music playing from a phone across from the room
  • "Moderate" is like a normal conversation/TV listening level
  • "Moderately loud" is an enthusiastic conversation.
  • "Loud" is watching a movie or playing music on my speakers at a "fun" level that's tiring after a few minutes
  • "Loud enough" is like movie theater loudness, and not really fun except for a few brief moments.
"Loud enough" makes me cringe if it's any more than one or two quick hits in an otherwise quieter song. My headphones sometimes just don't get "loud," let alone "loud enough," especially in the low bass. It's not an issue with my hearing, because I am sensitive to those frequencies when listening to speakers (or even other headphones). As I suspected earlier, I'm not sure the 93 dB/mW specification for these headphones is correct.

I'm totally the same as you, and feel you 100% here! Thanks for the additional peaks & all info, it's proving very useful since I never had the ADI 1st gen.

I'm doing my best to convince RME to come up with the most comprehensive update lol since I'm positive it's my next 'dream' purchase, so let's make it big and no regrets :)

ayane

Forum Donor
I'm totally the same as you, and feel you 100% here! Thanks for the additional peaks & all info, it's proving very useful since I never had the ADI 1st gen.

I'm doing my best to convince RME to come up with the most comprehensive update lol since I'm positive it's my next 'dream' purchase, so let's make it big and no regrets :)
I get that the RME engineers are proud of their baby, but some headphones really do need ungodly amounts of power.

Before I had the SMSL, I drove a different headphone amp into really bizzare distortion that I posted in this thread.

The folks at Geshelli all but admitted that their amp was malfunctioning, and gave me a more powerful one that didn't malfunction. I ended up giving it to my boyfriend since his headphones are way more efficient than mine.

I know my headphones aren't defective because they sound absolutely fantastic, and I also baby my hearing - so I'm not playing dangerously loud either. I guess I just have one of those "mythical headphones." ‍

If RME's headphone amp worked more like a pure voltage source before running out of current at 250 mA, it would handle these worst-case low-impedance & low-sensitivity edge cases without any problems.

Again, I'll give them credit where it is due - even with my headphones, their amp gets "loud enough" and then some 95% of the time.

There are just some handful of situations where having more current, maybe 500 mA, would help.

There is one headphone I know of whose impedance is even lower than mine at 8 ohms, with similar quoted sensitivity numbers. I wonder how well the RME would handle that, since the manual shows headphones with less than 16 ohms impedance brings current to its knee.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Any news on the upcoming "consumer" variant, please?:)
Considering most dealers are selling it at a discount under $1,000 USD, I'd say something new is coming. Probably something with the features of the DAC/Playback section of the new pro model.

Last edited:
Last edited:

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Hopefully some vids will show up from that show. I can't wait to put my order in for one of these!

Does this mean the ADI-2/4 Pro SE will come with the new DPS-2 power supply, or it'll be an optional extra? It wasn't quite clear from that link.
It sounded like an extra. I don't really see the benefit, though, except maybe for the analog-in section.

wisechoice

Considering most dealers are selling it at a discount under $1,000 USD, I'd say something new is coming. Probably something with the features of the DAC/Playback section of the new pro model.
From what I’ve seen, it’s only the DAC model that’s being discounted. Prices under 1K USD would be pretty low for the ADI-2 Pro.

wisechoice

@ayane The ADI-2 has a full 24dB of internal digital headroom. Maybe consider offloading some of your DSP to the DAC. Won't be possible for ReplayGain, but maybe EQ.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 6.49.24 PM.png

Glen20

New rear picture of RME DPS-2
Taken from Synthax Audio Uk Instagram from CanJam london
369D1CA0-6616-4EC4-86EA-2632A26DF8E9.jpeg
EE294086-3D59-41C5-8DC8-7666BFD023D3.jpeg

Front pic from flyer for CanJam London from my post #104 above

Last edited:

spnc

Any ballpark date for release? I need a combo and this unit is my first choice.

September.

spnc

villason

September.

Thanks. Is the price known?

spnc

Thanks. Is the price known?

1'600 VAT (USD/EUR and CHF where I live I suppose it's about all the same rate these days :D) as far as I know.

Actually the CHF has become stronger than the EUR for the first time in the past couple months (1 EUR = 0.96 CHF) and there's only 8% VAT here so for the first time ever such a product could be cheaper in Switzerland than in EU/US (although it sometimes was because of the lower VAT, but I'm talking catalogue price at launch).

villason

1'600 VAT (USD/EUR and CHF where I live I suppose it's about all the same rate these days :D) as far as I know.

Actually the CHF has become stronger than the EUR for the first time in the past couple months (1 EUR = 0.96 CHF) and there's only 8% VAT here so for the first time ever such a product could be cheaper in Switzerland than in EU/US (although it sometimes was because of the lower VAT, but I'm talking catalogue price at launch).
I was living in Switzerland for some time and electronics were always super cheap because I bought them from amazon.de. Is it still possible to do so?

spnc

I was living in Switzerland for some time and electronics were always super cheap because I bought them from amazon.de. Is it still possible to do so?

Yes absolutely :) Although I have not done so in years because in the past decade local players are better, shops like Digitec (you probably know it) they have collection points and a big Amazon-like warehouse across all the country + agreements with all possible brands/products you can think of (including all the headphones/sound interfaces being discussed on ASR), which means you order it it's delivered immediately or you can even pick it up and in case of return they're pretty awesome (free return with 14 days) and the prices are so low like you said. Or Digitec competitors are also pretty good. Everything is so expensive is Switzerland, except electronics haha (but everything else is twice as expensive like food housing utilities clothes as in say France or Germany)

If really I can't find something some specific like synth instruments, FX pedals or advanced modular stuff I'll order from Thomann in Germany which is very fast like Amazon because they have a huge Amazon-life warehouse in South Germany. For small basic things like maybe cables I might order on Amazon they would cheaper than in Switzerland or even Thomann though, which the generic brands. But for anything else it wouldn't be worth it, because of the replacement and warranty would be cumbersoe vs. Digitec, Amazon are great for books though (and twice cheaper than the Swiss book stores).

Last edited:
Top Bottom