• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - Auto-measured with Multitone

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this post is about the extremely nice, new RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE interface or about the new automated measurement capability of the Multitone app :)

Most of these measurements were done automatically using a Multitone test plan (I'll share in a separate post). This new feature allows a complete measurement script with multiple measurements to be executed, outputting the results ready for publication. More discussion of this script and the details will be posted later in the Multitone testing thread.

The only measurement that's was done the old-fashioned (manual) way is the filter frequency response.

Here are all the steps in the automated test plan:
1679684880641.png

I measured the DAC portion at 44.1k with ADC loopback at 44.1k. For the higher sample rate ADC captures (DAC filters) I used Cosmos ADC at 192k:

Here are the results:
1k Distortion Panel - Spectrum.png

THD vs Level - Lvl Sweep.png

TD+N vs Frequency - Freq Sweep.png

Log Sweep FR (4M) - Freq Response.png

Phase, Impulse Response

Log Sweep FR (4M) - Phase.pngLog Sweep FR (4M) - Impulse.png

J-Test 24 @44.1k - Spectrum.png

Linearity - Lvl Sweep.png
IMD DIN Sweep - Lvl Sweep.png

IMD SMPTE vs Frequency Sweep - Lvl Sweep.png

DIM 30 - Spectrum.png

Intersample Overs 7.35kHz - Spectrum.png
. Intersample Overs 7.35kHz - Waveform.png
32 Multitone - Spectrum.png

ADI-2-4 Pro SE - Filters.jpg

Last but not least is the actual test plan that contains all the settings to perform all of the above tests (except for the last filter response one).

Attachments

• ADI2-4 Pro SE.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this post is about the extremely nice, new RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE interface or about the new automated measurement capability of the Multitone app :)

Most of these measurements were done automatically using a Multitone test plan (I'll share in a separate post). This new feature allows a complete measurement script with multiple measurements to be executed, outputting the results ready for publication. More discussion of this script and the details will be posted later in the Multitone testing thread.

The only measurement that's was done the old-fashioned (manual) way is the filter frequency response.

Here are all the steps in the automated test plan:
View attachment 274369

I measured the DAC portion at 44.1k with ADC loopback at 44.1k. For the higher sample rate ADC captures (DAC filters) I used Cosmos ADC at 192k:

Here are the results:
View attachment 274336

View attachment 274353

View attachment 274355

View attachment 274356

Phase, Impulse Response

View attachment 274357View attachment 274358

View attachment 274359

View attachment 274360View attachment 274361

View attachment 274370

View attachment 274362

View attachment 274364. View attachment 274363View attachment 274365

View attachment 274366

Last but not least is the actual test plan that contains all the settings to perform all of the above tests (except for the last filter response one).
Thanks!
I'll give it a try, to see if I'm able to reproduce those.
Also, I'll compare with measurements with my usual tools.

Are those measurements done in mono or stereo ?

morillon

Major Contributor
with of course all the necessary precautions etc.

it is quite remarkable as an automatic procedure for us "amateurs"...
;-)
( the jtest is only for numeric mesureament..no?
;-) )

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
with of course all the necessary precautions etc.

it is quite remarkable as an automatic procedure for us "amateurs"...
;-)
( the jtest is only for numeric mesureament..no?
;-) )

Right! I’ve configured this test for my own set up, it was using WASAPI. ASiO may require changes or additional settings. With a different device, 0dBFS may be too high — in fact -1dBFS was recommended by RME, but I found that 0 works just fine. The Intersample over test required lowering the ADC gain as it was being saturated by the DAC, even though the DAC was handling the signal just fine.

While the same test plan may work fine for other devices, some small adjustments may still be needed .

morillon

Major Contributor
intersample over...
it remains special as a test... enough to be afraid of most of the time...
(i don t see the "filter" on your plan)

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
ahhhh
if it is to promote rme products.... ;-)
(it remains a test...special...
and a consideration essentially of the professional world for the moment it seems to me ;-) )

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ahhhh
and a consideration essentially of the professional world for the moment it seems to me ;-) )
Just an observation from the measurement, not my opinion.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ahhhh
Well, if the music you want to reproduce contains such oversamples and you use a DAC that doesn't allow volume change and doesn't handle them well, that will be a consideration for you as well, I think.
Distortion may raise quite abruptly.

morillon

Major Contributor
but it is conditions that I believe are mainly found in the studio, home studio , mastering etc.. right?
because the finished products for the public etc are normally "normalized".. and there is no real reason to come across this type of situation it seems to me...
;-)

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but it is conditions that I believe are mainly found in the studio, home studio , mastering etc.. right?
because the finished products for the public etc are normally "normalized".. and there is no real reason to come across this type of situation it seems to me...
;-)
Intersample overs exist in consumer music, not just in the studio. There are a number of threads on this subject here already. It’s enough of a problem to at least be curious how a DAC might handle these, but feel free to ignore that measurement if it doesn’t apply to you ;)

Trell

Major Contributor
But handled easily by this new RME converter, so no need to be afraid :)

If that fact fails to convince there is always this litany from the classic Frank Herbert novel Dune. :)

>>>
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
<<<

morillon

Major Contributor
links on this subject here .. or on commercialized productions posing problem?i⁷
I admit that I'm not a kid.. and I haven't really met any and digital clipping (not discreet..)
Above all, we must denounce if the work of standardization is badly done. and especially not let the thing settle..
the very, very large majority of general public DACs cannot manage it.. and that is the purpose)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
links on this subject here .. or on commercialized productions posing problem?i⁷
I admit that I'm not a kid.. and I haven't really met any and digital clipping (not discreet..)
Above all, we must denounce if the work of standardization is badly done. and especially not let the thing settle..
the very, very large majority of general public DACs cannot manage it.. and that is the purpose)

What does this have to do with measuring how a DAC handles a specific test signal? Please post in the threads about intersample overs if you want to discuss that subject.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Thank you for these measurements! I’ve got two questions:

What is DIM? Some kind of intermodulation I gather, but I haven’t seen that acronym before.

The “THD vs Level” plot has me scratching my head. Wouldn’t the noise graph have to be a perfect complement of the distortion graph to make the THD+N such a straight line?

Top Bottom