• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - Auto-measured with Multitone

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
is it possible to carry out this mode of plan... but or each measurement is stored in mode data being able then reprocessed a posteriori? like in for example just visual formatting?
("dats" ;-) )

would also seem quite logical with the particularity of the approach of M-T
(ps
nobody is fooled.. it is the practice of the race for figures, to display, which led to ""running so close to 0dbfs""(and ""asr"" has a lot to do with it at 0.1db of sinad ;-) )and not a reasonable and very useful systematic headroom... ;-) )

Sure, the test plan allows for this. You can add a pause before or after the each measurement, with a specific message (reminding you what you might want to do):

1680176144516.png

Pause Before lets you reconfigure any hardware or software settings that you can't already do in MT before the measurement.
Pause After lets you format, zoom in, change colors, title, fonts, etc. before the measurement is captured into an image.

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ps there are still some measurement titles that do not match ...
basic d imd becoming log sweep etc.
little things to "clean" as you go
;-)
Not sure what you mean. IMD DIN Sweep is indeed a sweep vs level. Is this not correct?

And just to be clear: this particular test plan is just an example I posted, one that I used to measure the ADI-2/4 Pro SE. For your own testing, you can construct as simple or as complicated a test plan as you want and name the individual measurements anything you want :) The good thing is you can share the test plan with others so that the same tests can be repeated elsewhere, and possibly with different equipment for comparison (like @Rja4000 and @Sokel have done already).

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wonder if the IMD hump comes from the ADC

Because I've seen many DACs using 9038Q2M without the ESS hump

Cheap Pro-ject Pre Box S2 for example (designed by John Westlake years ago)

View attachment 275906

Compare that curve with PK's IMD one. With 10 dB higher noise or THD or both the hump is buried and simply no longer visible...

morillon

Major Contributor
Sure, the test plan allows for this. You can add a pause before or after the each measurement, with a specific message (reminding you what you might want to do):

View attachment 275939

Pause Before lets you reconfigure any hardware or software settings that you can't already do in MT before the measurement.
Pause After lets you format, zoom in, change colors, title, fonts, etc. before the measurement is captured into an image.
thank you
I am talking about basic non-sweep imd tests...not what comes from your proposal
;-)
and was talking about a systematic storage of the raw data of each test and not just the image, to be able to later rework their presentation etc. see them exchanged.. etc.
;-)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you
I am talking about basic non-sweep imd tests...not what comes from your proposal
;-)
and was talking about a systematic storage of the raw data of each test and not just the image, to be able to later rework their presentation etc. see them exchanged.. etc.
a certain well-known realizes it ;-)

As I said, you can add whatever tests you want to the test plan, including simple IMD spectrum.

Each measurement result is stored in history, so after executing the plan, you can just click through each result in history to view the details and to bring up resulting data associated with it.

morillon

Major Contributor
??
etc
and my purpose is just to imagine in the test results folder of the plan to have images , and, the "mth" data associated with each one of its test-images ...
but I'll stop it...sorry for my expression

Attachments

• imd or sweep.PNG
    imd or sweep.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 43

morillon

Major Contributor
the name... does not correspond at all if not corrected
but not so important
;-)
but this one is ok
etc etc

Attachments

• good name ;-).PNG
    good name ;-).PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
That's not quite what I'm talking about.
but
"chart
(test name)-**********"
;-)

charleski

Major Contributor
I used this to test my motherboard loopback (realtek 1220-VB) to see how it stacks up against the fancypants RME ADI. Not as bad as I feared, though there's a lot more noise which dominates the results. (This is with the previous version.)

I have both ASIO4All and ASIOFlex installed, but couldn't see how to open the control panel for those. Direct Sound was a bust, with the program crashing on the Linearity test. But WASAPI seemed to work fine. Before running the test I roughly adjusted speaker and input levels in the Realtek control panel to get the best result in the 1kHz distortion panel.

1k Distortion Panel - Spectrum.png
32 Multitone - Spectrum.png
Crosstalk - Freq Sweep.png
DIM 30 - Spectrum.png
IMD DIN Sweep - Lvl Sweep.png
IMD SMPTE vs Level - Lvl Sweep.png
Intersample Overs 7.35kHz - Spectrum.png

J-Test 24 @44.1k - Spectrum.png

Linearity - Lvl Sweep.png
Log Sweep FR (4M) - Freq Response.png
Log Sweep FR (4M) - Impulse.png
Log Sweep FR (4M) - Phase.png

Noise Floor - Spectrum.png

TD+N vs Frequency - Freq Sweep.png
THD vs Level - Lvl Sweep.png

Attachments

• Intersample Overs 7.35kHz - Waveform.png
    Intersample Overs 7.35kHz - Waveform.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 87

Trell

Major Contributor
I used this to test my motherboard loopback (realtek 1220-VB) to see how it stacks up against the fancypants RME ADI. Not as bad as I feared, though there's a lot more noise which dominates the results. (This is with the previous version.)

I have both ASIO4All and ASIOFlex installed, but couldn't see how to open the control panel for those. Direct Sound was a bust, with the program crashing on the Linearity test. But WASAPI seemed to work fine. Before running the test I roughly adjusted speaker and input levels in the Realtek control panel to get the best result in the 1kHz distortion panel.

View attachment 276011
View attachment 276012
View attachment 276013
View attachment 276014
View attachment 276015
View attachment 276016
View attachment 276017

View attachment 276019

View attachment 276020
View attachment 276021
View attachment 276022
View attachment 276023

View attachment 276024

View attachment 276025
View attachment 276026

The “fancypants RME ADI” is all the many useful features it has, which sets the ADI-2 DAC/Pro apart from everything else.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which highlights the importance of having a reference to compare to on the plots.
@pkane
Another idea:
You export a screen snapshot, which is good.
Why not to export also the measurements in a txt or XML file ?
Then we could easily build a graph that includes several measurements, for comparison.
(As an example, in Excel)

Or we could share them for others to use them as reference.

And, obviously, being able to attach such a result file to the tool for a measurement would also allow you to plot the 2 on the same graph.

(Warning: I can be quite creative as for tool development idea)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pkane
Another idea:
You export a screen snapshot, which is good.
Why not to export also the measurements in a txt or XML file ?
Then we could easily build a graph that includes several measurements, for comparison.
(As an example, in Excel)

Or we could share them for others to use them as reference.

And, obviously, being able to attach such a result file to the tool for a measurement would also allow you to plot the 2 on the same graph.

(Warning: I can be quite creative as for tool development idea)

I did plan support for combined / comparison plots, and even have a configuration for it, just not enough time to implement yet ;)

Scrivs

Forum Donor
pkane,

Thank you very much for all the time and effort it must have taken to create such a rad lil’ utility for us all to use.

You didn’t have to do so, and so is very much appreciated

Top Bottom