• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW Eq cutting too much bass

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I am trying to do some room correction as a part of a comparison between the KEF R3 and Wharfedale linton 85 speakers. I am trying to do some room correction prior to doing the comparison and running into a strange problem. While the PEQ produced by REW for the Linton seems very close to target, the same method seems to cut too much bass from the R3. I have attached the filters as text as well as the comparisons. Anyone know why this might be happening ? All captured using moving mic

Linton (uncorrected/target/corrected)

linton.png

R3
r3.png

Attachments

• linton_filters.txt
    782 bytes · Views: 44
  • r3_filters.txt
    776 bytes · Views: 54

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Interesting. I'd just reduce the 56/58/67/87 Hz cuts suggested by REW for the R3 in half and see what the resulting sweep looks like.

On the other hand, something seems amiss on the Linton sweeps. If the highest frequency filter you have used is indeed a relatively narrow and shallow 1.1 dB cut at 2273 Hz, I wonder why it appears that a low Q broad boost of ~3-4 dB has been applied centered on about 6 kHz on the corrected sweep.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is very common to have the impression post EQ. You should feel free to adjust the target up until you like it. But do listen to varied content to make sure it doesn't become too much with some other content. You should also listen to it for a bit and see if it grows on you. :)

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Oh, I didn't see how much lower the final measurement is in your specific case. That doesn't make sense. So never mind about the above. :)
Thanks @amirm . I am not sure why it's happening, seems specific to Preset 3 in my case. I tried clearing out all EQs and setting again, same issue.

I switched to Preset 1, and the post-eq is much closer to target.

r3.png

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Interesting. I'd just reduce the 56/58/67/87 Hz cuts suggested by REW for the R3 in half and see what the resulting sweep looks like.

On the other hand, something seems amiss on the Linton sweeps. If the highest frequency filter you have used is indeed a relatively narrow and shallow 1.1 dB cut at 2273 Hz, I wonder why it appears that a low Q broad boost of ~3-4 dB has been applied centered on about 6 kHz on the corrected sweep.
Thanks. The 2273 1.1db cut is only for the Linton speakers, please ignore that file. For R3, I am only applying filters below 500Hz.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thanks. The 2273 1.1db cut is only for the Linton speakers, please ignore that file. For R3, I am only applying filters below 500Hz.

I know. That's why I was commenting on the room corrected sweep for the Linton--not the R3. Look at the difference in response from 2k to 16k after correction for the Linton, which was unaffected in the R3 post-correction.

That shouldn't be the case with the Linton as you are not applying filters in the overwhelming majority of that frequency range, which is why I was wondering if something was inconsistent with your mic setup that was causing errors in various measurements.

If that corrected sweep is correct, you should have heard the tonality tilt upward fairly strongly on the Linton, due to the reduction in bass and the 0-4 dB rise above 2k.

Seems to me if you are trying to compare the two speakers, you wouldn't have desired that.

I bought a DDRC-24 a couple of years ago but after having to move an elderly relative in with us and store stuff in my music room, that has been delayed. I did see a comment that one has to be absolutely sure to have cleared out all previous settings when making certain changes but have yet to get into the details.

Last edited:

DaveBoswell

Is it possible you have a HPF defined for preset 3 in your DSP that is on a different configuration page in the DSP UI (for inputs/outputs/crossover)? That's what it looks like, but you've cleared out all PEQ.

Either that or perhaps you put in a much lower Q for one the test filters by mistake.

Top Bottom