• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of Ascend Acoustics’ ELX Tower Speakers (2022 revision)

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was a really tough choice between those two. I felt like the LX was more cohesive and focused in its presentation,and more dynamic. The BMR excelled with some genre's,like acoustic guitar and string instruments.The LX performed better with rock and studio recordings. I feel like the LX was the better speaker overall but the BMR is right behind it. It's really a matter of preference. The BMR dispersion is a little too wide for my taste,but depending on your room and taste in music it may not matter. The BMR also looks much better than the LX in my opinion,for those who value aesthetics. The LX isn't ugly at all,it just looks a little more basic in design.
Thanks, i kind of figured the lx would be more dynamic and maybe more focused..... The bmr dispersion and raal tweeter make it very different than most speakers...

beagleman

Major Contributor
Difficult...for you. Sorry to say so.
The review lists objective things like room size, components, and has extensive details from the engineer about design.
What you dismiss as "subjective opinions" are based on sensory experiences which are objectively sensed by an objective human being.
At the very least, they provide a starting point for measurements. All science begins with subjective experience, you realize. Consider, also, that objective measurements must be translated back to subjective experiences. A number is meaningless unless translated into experiential terms.
Perhaps Amir might find a reason to measure this speaker? That would be cool.
Things are not sensed objectively by humans.

objective-

(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

People, (humans) can strive for objectivity, but by our vary nature are highly subjective creatures.
Therefore everything we hear, is based entirely on subjective influences, feelings, emotions and biases and so on.

Perhaps you used the word in the wrong context?

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was a really tough choice between those two. I felt like the LX was more cohesive and focused in its presentation,and more dynamic. The BMR excelled with some genre's,like acoustic guitar and string instruments.The LX performed better with rock and studio recordings. I feel like the LX was the better speaker overall but the BMR is right behind it. It's really a matter of preference. The BMR dispersion is a little too wide for my taste,but depending on your room and taste in music it may not matter. The BMR also looks much better than the LX in my opinion,for those who value aesthetics. The LX isn't ugly at all,it just looks a little more basic in design.

I've always said there is probably an "ideal dispersion", not just widest as humanly possible, I thought the 64-10 RAAL was too wide as well, resulting in too bright of a sound in my smallish room. Wide horizontally and narrow vertically doesn't match real sounds, so I can't imagine it would sound more natural than the LX tweeter. Many people also claim the 70-20 RAAL is the best of the bunch and that is also not as wide, that is more evidence that there is an ideal.

Digi

I bought a pair of these a month ago and I can easily say they are the best speakers I have owned.
Hi, What genre of music have you played thru these Ascent Acoustics ELX towers? Are the HF sibilant and or ear fatiguing? I am interested in getting a pair but have no way to audition these. TIA.

JAJDACT

Hi, What genre of music have you played thru these Ascent Acoustics ELX towers? Are the HF sibilant and or ear fatiguing? I am interested in getting a pair but have no way to audition these. TIA.
I listen to almost everything except reggae,r&b and jazz. Sibilant or ear fatiguing? No. Sharp with some recordings,yes. However the in room response I measured with REW shows that the treble doesn't roll off much and is elevated in comparison to the upper mid range which shows a dip in my room's response. Now whether that's due to vertical listening height,speaker placement,reflections,or something else I'm not sure.I am guessing that it has more to do with my room which is small,almost square and the sidewalls aren't symmetrical,and possibly placement or seated listening posistion.

The vertical listening window is also pretty narrow for the RAAL version. I believe the tweeter is the reference point for the ELX and is only 33" off the floor. My seated listening height is between 40"-43",so it could be causing the upper mid range dip. My solution for recordings that sound sharp is -1 or -2db on the treble tone controls.

Edited to add that these are the best speakers I have ever heard,the dispersion,imaging,dynamics,bass response tone and texture,and cohesiveness in the soundstage is all excellent. I don't want another speaker. These are it for me for the foreseeable future,unless I come across a deal on the Titan version and even then I would probably keep both.

Last edited:

Digi

I listen to almost everything except reggae,r&b and jazz. Sibilant or ear fatiguing? No. Sharp with some recordings,yes. However the in room response I measured with REW shows that the treble doesn't roll off much and is elevated in comparison to the upper mid range which shows a dip in my room's response. Now whether that's due to vertical listening height,speaker placement,reflections,or something else I'm not sure.I am guessing that it has more to do with my room which is small,almost square and the sidewalls aren't symmetrical,and possibly placement or seated listening posistion.

The vertical listening window is also pretty narrow for the RAAL version. I believe the tweeter is the reference point for the ELX and is only 33" off the floor. My seated listening height is between 40"-43",so it could be causing the upper mid range dip. My solution for recordings that sound sharp is -1 or -2db on the treble tone controls.

Edited to add that these are the best speakers I have ever heard,the dispersion,imaging,dynamics,bass response tone and texture,and cohesiveness in the soundstage is all excellent. I don't want another speaker. These are it for me for the foreseeable future,unless I come across a deal on the Titan version and even then I would probably keep both.
Thanks for reaching out. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom