• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Well, the Pioneer feeds the iDSD, the HifimeDiY and Teac P90 with no problems.
The Pioneer manual lists only 2 compatible devices, with a plan to support more through firmware updates. We have no way of knowing what their firmware is looking for. It may have a list of 'supported' vendor and product IDs, known device strings, or just some combination of sample rates and bit depths, but without more info from Pioneer all we can do is speculate. Did the firmware come with more details about device support? Indications so far are that the Tone Board works as a UAC2 device with Mac, Linux and recent Windows 10 so it seems to be doing it right.

Hi.
I can hear a pop thought my headphones when I reboot my pi with khadas connected. I can also hear noise when I use the volume knob. Khadas is mounted close to the pi and I am using short interconnects. Would putting the khadas in it's own case rectify this problem ?

Cheers
Howard

milw50717

Hi.
I can hear a pop thought my headphones when I reboot my pi with khadas connected. I can also hear noise when I use the volume knob. Khadas is mounted close to the pi and I am using short interconnects. Would putting the khadas in it's own case rectify this problem ?
My KTB, which is cased, pops slightly at power off and power on as I reboot the Ropieee PI that feeds it

Can the noise when the volume knob is used be heard when any other or no source is plugged in ?

Last edited:
My KTB accepts USB audio from any otg mobile phone I attach to ...
How is the volume output when connected to your mobile phone? My Khadas requires external power when connected to my phone to work without distortion/clipping, and the output level is far lower as well.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never did like digital volume control, especially when paired with an Amp, but I’ve never had a need for it.

I use NeutronMP then and it works with no problem, volume at Neutron after start is same position where I left, around 5 from 10.
Interesting, I'll try a different phone later. I'm wondering if it is android limiting volume similar to connecting headphones.

I never did like digital volume control, especially when paired with an Amp, but I’ve never had a need for it.
I'm curious about the safety aspect and the quality of the 32 bit digital attenuation of the ESS chips. I kind of like the idea of an analog control preventing mishaps, especially with my luck (or stupidity, whichever way you want to put it).

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious about the safety aspect and the quality of the 32 bit digital attenuation of the ESS chips. I kind of like the idea of an analog control preventing mishaps, especially with my luck (or stupidity, whichever way you want to put it).
If you use JRMC, it has software volume protection features.

Herbert

The new boards casing is obviously designed to please Cylons...
But no balanced output, right? The connectors are RCA, not XLR.

As there is some Khadas staff in this forum:
Will it be available as a bare board?
Looks like the footprint / size of the bare board has not changed,
besides a new location for USB, correct?
Is the distance between the RCA connectors is still 18.4mm / 0,72"?

Top Bottom