• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

hayche

Hi.
I can hear a pop thought my headphones when I reboot my pi with khadas connected. I can also hear noise when I use the volume knob. Khadas is mounted close to the pi and I am using short interconnects. Would putting the khadas in it's own case rectify this problem ?

Cheers
Howard

LostOne__

Well, I think we are nearing the arrival of the sequel we all have been waiting for:

ded616f03002eef53bd8cc93517b638b05556a46.jpeg

Taken straight from Khadas' Forum.

Now we wait for @amirm 's measurements :)

milw50717

Hi.
I can hear a pop thought my headphones when I reboot my pi with khadas connected. I can also hear noise when I use the volume knob. Khadas is mounted close to the pi and I am using short interconnects. Would putting the khadas in it's own case rectify this problem ?

My KTB, which is cased, pops slightly at power off and power on as I reboot the Ropieee PI that feeds it

Can the noise when the volume knob is used be heard when any other or no source is plugged in ?

Last edited:

hayche

My KTB, which is cased, pops slightly at power off and power on as I reboot the Ropieee PI that feeds it

Can the noise when the volume knob is used be heard when any other or no source is plugged in ?

When I use an ipad as source it is silent.

dweekie

My KTB accepts USB audio from any otg mobile phone I attach to ...

How is the volume output when connected to your mobile phone? My Khadas requires external power when connected to my phone to work without distortion/clipping, and the output level is far lower as well.

Nango

Major Contributor
I use NeutronMP then and it works with no problem, volume at Neutron after start is same position where I left, around 5 from 10.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never did like digital volume control, especially when paired with an Amp, but I’ve never had a need for it.

dweekie

I use NeutronMP then and it works with no problem, volume at Neutron after start is same position where I left, around 5 from 10.

Interesting, I'll try a different phone later. I'm wondering if it is android limiting volume similar to connecting headphones.

dweekie

I never did like digital volume control, especially when paired with an Amp, but I’ve never had a need for it.

I'm curious about the safety aspect and the quality of the 32 bit digital attenuation of the ESS chips. I kind of like the idea of an analog control preventing mishaps, especially with my luck (or stupidity, whichever way you want to put it).

g29

I'm curious about the safety aspect and the quality of the 32 bit digital attenuation of the ESS chips. I kind of like the idea of an analog control preventing mishaps, especially with my luck (or stupidity, whichever way you want to put it).
If you use JRMC, it has software volume protection features.

Herbert

The new boards casing is obviously designed to please Cylons...
But no balanced output, right? The connectors are RCA, not XLR.

As there is some Khadas staff in this forum:
Will it be available as a bare board?
Looks like the footprint / size of the bare board has not changed,
besides a new location for USB, correct?
Is the distance between the RCA connectors is still 18.4mm / 0,72"?

g29

Yes, according to the new specification the new model should add:

- Volume knob
- Balanced output
- Case
- Fix to the ESS IMD "Hump"

Those are strange balanced outputs. Are they TRS or mini-XLR ???

headshake

Yes, according to the new specification the new model should add:

- Volume knob
- Balanced output
- Case
- Fix to the ESS IMD "Hump"

A soft start of some sort would be cool.

Mine too.

Top Bottom