• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What an overpriced piece of junk.
Ok I couldn't make it myself, but still...
I feel for the buyer... wait! he's probably richer than me!...

Very funny review, like a gag. Thanks!
At least we have one more proof that all DACs, even crappy, sound the same or close.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Snafu

AAAdac.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot to post the 19+20 kHz IMD test:
View attachment 30071

Looks to me like this shows the value of a DAC like this. Twice the sound output for the input. No other DAC you've tested can do this. Twice the sound has to equal twice the sound quality, twice the detail, twice the timing accuracy just everything is twice as good. Twice, twice, twice enough times and this DAC becomes some sort of a bargain at that price.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TotalDAC is a NOS (Non Over Sampling) DAC, which per definition have a small high frequency roll-off. The FIR filter is there to compensate for that roll-off, apparently not doing a good job....
The FIR itself, efficient or not, is probably responsible for half the price - whereas any laptop with Rephase + EqualizerAPO would allow you to do the treble correction for free.

Zog

I feel bad for the owner who sent it to you.
Well yes, from the point of view that a lot of money has been spent on what appears to be a mid / poor product. However if I was the owner I would I would be happy because, thanks to Amir and his thorough regime, I can look forward to getting better sound from my Hi-Fi. And, as a kicker, it will not necessarily cost a lost of dosh.

gvl

Major Contributor
One has to wonder what a report like this can do to resale values of such equipment... However I don't think all Schitt bashing on ASR, deserved or otherwise, made a big dent in used Yggdrasil value looking at head-fi and ebay sales, which could indicate that audiophile community is immune to common sense.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the stamped sheet metal case steel or a non-magnetic metal? Just curious. Wouldn't bother to ask if not for so many other oddities.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From manufacturers page:

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-six-en.htm

"The noise floor is very low (even lower than with the d1-dual)."

Spectrum of a 1KHz waveform, same FFT reference as for the d1-dual for a direct noise floor comparison:

fft-d1-six.gif

Did this DAC have tubes ??
I always love these kinds of plots. Is the noise floor low? They hope most people are saying, "wow the noise floor is way down there, -160 db!". But without knowing the size of the FFT you don't know what this translates into. Amir's test makes it look like maybe -110 db or -115 db.

Icarus

Curious if you used HQplayer's filters and dither feeding the dac 705/768khz x16 rates if you would eliminate all the issues? I bet you would get better performance? But would that be worth 13k I think not? You could get phasure NOS dac which is well than less than half the price of totaldac and get his xxhighend software and custom pc. I have not heard this either but along the same in comparison I would imagine?

gvl

Major Contributor
So it is a NOS DAC. Can we get some plots at higher sampling rates (176.4kHz?) to see if it may respond well to external digital filtering?

Top Bottom