• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

garbulky

Major Contributor
I want to know how @amirm could have heard the "accented high frequencies" in a blind test. Looking at the distortion levels, is that even humanly possible?
BTW, good review. I appreciate the detail and time you took.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Delightful stuff.
That's one way of putting it :D Totally bonkers pair they are, and I luv 'em to bits.....

oufloued

I agree with you but not most of the hifi fans on THIS site, somewhere else yes indeed
As the reviewed gear measures different isn't it quite expectable that there are also hearable differences? And for me it's exquisite audible differences I experience using different gear as headphones for example which let me enjoy this hobby so much.
Thank you for this site and discussion!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As the reviewed gear measures different isn't it quite expectable that there are also hearable differences? And for me it's exquisite audible differences I experience using different gear as headphones for example which let me enjoy this hobby so much.
Thank you for this site and discussion!
You are correct; things that measure like shit typically sound like shit and so on and so forth.
There are rare exceptions where tubes can have "smooth" sounds because the performance is so bad that all micro details are lost. I can understand how it is a experience that some people might like, but it just isn't for me. I like details.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
As the reviewed gear measures different isn't it quite expectable that there are also hearable differences?
No. If two pieces of equipment measure differently, but the differences are well below any reasonable audible threshold, there's no reason that they can sound different. For example, if DAC A has 0.004% distortion and DAC B has 0.0004% distortion, then ceteris paribus they will not sound different even though the measurements differ by a factor of ten.

We can measure FAR more precisely than our ears can distinguish.

Top Bottom