• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

e_h

Thank you for helping me out, also what about audio quality?, does decoder do anything?
I use the "Full" Dolby dynamic range setting - if I understand correctly, this means that the G6 doesn't do anything in that department :)

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean regarding audio quality, but both DAC and amp measure quite well from what I understand here. I don't know if the external amp will make any audible difference (still waiting for it to arrive) - the main reason I felt the "need" to add an external amp was that I found myself operating at 100% Windows volume in some games when using the HD 800S with a -11.7dB preamp, and I want more headroom. When playing music I never listen above 80% Windows volume with this setup, comfortable level for me is around 60%.

Last edited:

L0ki

I use the "Full" Dolby dynamic range setting - if I understand correctly, this means that the G6 doesn't do anything in that department :)

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean regarding audio quality, but both DAC and amp measure quite well from what I understand here. I don't know if the external amp will make any audible difference (still waiting for it to arrive) - the main reason I felt the "need" to add an external amp was that I found myself operating at 100% Windows volume in some games when using the HD 800S with a -11.7dB preamp, and I want more headroom. When playing music I never listen above 80% Windows volume with this setup, comfortable level for me is around 60%.
Sorry, the bit rate and sample rate.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks :) Yes, the G6 amp is very good but I've found that when using it with my preamp of -11.7dB, Windows volume 100% in certain games is barely enough for the HD 800S. My (non-golden) ears don't notice any distortion/clipping etc, but I want more headroom, hence the Atom Amp.

Regarding the potential addition of the Atom DAC, one other reason was concerns about 3.5mm outputs in general, but maybe those are overstated.
Btw, do you know if adding the Atom DAC would mean that the signal is digital all the way from the PC source to the Atom DAC? Or would the G6 somehow do an extra DA/AD conversion inbetween? (I incorrectly wrote AD/DA in my previous post, I've changed it now.)
I realize that I may be overthinking things, but I like to optimize as much as possible :)
Ah, ok, well an external amp will help then - you got your Atom coming! Nah, just don't bother with the Atom DAC, you don't need another DAC in the chain, and I also don't know the answer to your questions re how it would be included but I'm sure you won't gain anything by it.

Reactions: e_h
Top Bottom