• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
Looks like the dude has no idea what harmonics really are based on his comments for the 17.5 and 18kHz plots.

gvl

Major Contributor
These spikes look a bit disconcerting, hopefully they are much lower with real world high-frequency content levels which is much less than 0dB.

18khz-44k.png

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These spikes look a bit disconcerting, hopefully they are much lower with real world high-frequency content levels which is much less than 0dB.

18khz-44k.png

What gets me is that this measurement is taken at 44.1kHz, so this grotesque level of foldback IMD isn't a result of the choice to use 4x oversampling.

gvl

Major Contributor
What gets me is that this measurement is taken at 44.1kHz, so this grotesque level of foldback IMD isn't a result of the choice to use 4x oversampling.

You think it’s IMD? Given the regularity to me this looks like some kind of byproduct of the chip deglitcher or some kind of fault interfacing the DSP with the DAC chip. Regardless this appears like a lot of junk that is not related to the fundamental frequency so it’s worse than harmonic distortion. And if it stays at the same level if the stimulus is reduced it’s pretty bad.

THD shoots ups with frequency pretty bad , if it happens due to these spikes below the fundamental and not harmonic content it is going to be a drama.

Last edited:

archerious

18khz-44k.png
Is this from the new more is less Yggdrasil or the OG? As that is a terrible SINAD. My smsl Sanskrit mk2 measures better and was $130 when I bought it.

ElNino

Is this from the new more is less Yggdrasil or the OG? As that is a terrible SINAD. My smsl Sanskrit mk2 measures better and was $130 when I bought it.

That's from the new "More is Less" Yggdrasil.

gvl

Major Contributor

It’s at 18kHz 0db and while it points to issues can also be red herring if those artifacts disappear at lower more realistic levels for HF music content. More study is needed before it can be qualified as junk.

rkt31

may be r2r is overrated tech. schiit newer ds design measure better than r2r dacs.

rkt31

Are you sure it's all about you? The reality is the measurements vs. subjective debate has been going on for a while. The Audio Critic was doing battle in this territory decades before you. Regarding ASR prompting Schiit to design better I have wondered if the same isn't true for forum favorite Topping. It's seems they release an amp or dac measured here every other month with higher and higher Sinad using ASR's measurements as their guide. Topping has clued into the fact that it does seem to be all about Sinad here, despite a protest to the contrary in another thread. I don't blame them for exploiting that segment of the market just as Schiit did with the Heresy, but it's ok if Schiit has a different perspective from you with their other products. Topping's focus appears to be to tap into the faith here and has managed to cultivate a band of eager defenders who will pile on dissenters. When I joined, ASR seemed like a breath of fresh air, about as objective as I could have hoped. Now it seems like a cult. This is audio, you're not saving lives here.
that's the beauty of objective approach. if it's bad it is bad. there is no scope of cult thing if you depend on objective approach. i don't think asr has favored any brand out of the way. anybody is free to send their equipment for test. topping have confidence about their measured performance so they send their product to ASR. schiit and other don't follow this, it's their choice.

ousi

I actually had the MIL version for 2 days. Couldn't get past the fact that it annoys my ears especially at higher registers. It's not because of constant hi-hat but more so it makes my inner ear feels uncomfortable. This kinda mirror what was found in the measurement. I just wonder why they even bother making this available... were they just trying to troll the measurement crowd?

Veri

Master Contributor
This kinda mirror what was found in the measurement. I just wonder why they even bother making this available... were they just trying to troll the measurement crowd?
Perhaps it suffers from aliasing?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ElNino

For a multibit DAC a SINAD of 118.5 dB is quite impressive.
In this case, SINAD measured at 1kHz is very misleading though. SINAD measured at 17.5k is 88 dB. The device's performance falls apart in the upper octave.

If you look at the full set of measurements, in terms of worst case behavior the "More is Less" Yggdrasil measures worse overall than any of the other Yggdrasils. I think Schiit's marketing rhetoric here is borderline dishonest. They acknowledge it sounds worse than the others, but claim it measures better, implying the measurement crowd is wrong. But it just doesn't measure well. Looking at the measurements, I'd rather have either one of the other Yggdrasils. (Well, I'd prefer zero Yggdrasils, but if it was the only option....)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In this case, SINAD measured at 1kHz is very misleading though. SINAD measured at 17.5k is 88 dB. The device's performance falls apart in the upper octave.
It's not correct to measure the SINAD at 17.5 kHz within a 20...20.000 Hz bandwidth, so let's stick to similar measurements that Amir, Wolf and AtomicBob are doing to such DACs. You may also check the multitone test as well and compare it with other multibit DACs; also Schit's own measurements can be checked as well.

Schiit guys are one of the few manufacturers that are publishing a full set of measurements about their audio devices and this started recently, after Amir started to publish measurements and reviews about some of their worse-measuring DACs and amps. I consider that this is a great step-up in marketing.

In the end, the SINAD of 118.5 dB measured @ 1kHz is still one of the best achieved by a multibit DAC, so for those looking for such a DAC this one might be an option.

Top Bottom