• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Schiit Yggdrasil with TI chip

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't think of any reason to get the yggy over any flavor of RME, the RME has a ton of features vs the yggy which is just a DAC.

Never heard the yggy till a Head-Fi meetup, it wasn't hooked up most of the meetup. I finally got to hear it at the very end. I was shocked how big it was, other then that I didn't hear anything special out of it via my Sennheiser HD800. I have no idea what revision it was.

It's a competently measuring DAC. It's not supposed to sound different than your RME and even the Modi 3.

yamahaha

I just got a Yggy Less Is More. No idea how it measures but I can tell you this - its sounds very good. For years I had been using a Hegel HD12 which is a great DAC. I will give it time to decide but I can tell you I can tell these DACS apart immediately.

Stereodude

I just got a Yggy Less Is More. No idea how it measures but I can tell you this - its sounds very good. For years I had been using a Hegel HD12 which is a great DAC. I will give it time to decide but I can tell you I can tell these DACS apart immediately.
Can your significant other also hear the difference from the kitchen?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Note that the measurement bandwidth of the top graph (1 kHz test, see the "Filters" parameters in the leftmost pane in the screen shot) is 20 kHz, whereas the bandwidth used for the 20 kHz test is 90 kHz. Not apple-to-apple comparison.

The claimed advantage by TI for this R-2R DAC is that there is no increase in the noise magnitude in the out-of-band frequencies (i.e. flat noise density with frequency), whereas ΣΔ DAC's have high out-of-band noise due to noise shaping. It is an advantage for certain applications, but not for consumer audio reproduction.

Yep, the application is signal generation and analysis, not audio.

yamahaha

There are a lot of "experts" here yet none make dac's people buy. Hmmmmm?

Last edited:

Stereodude

I think it was: there’s a lot of so called experts here, and yet nobody has made a DAC that people buy.

Yamahaha is unaware that there ARE folks that have worked in DACs here.
That's like saying someone isn't qualified to evaluate a car's performance unless they've built their own car from scratch that is a commercial success. :facepalm:

yamahaha

You guys can sit here doing the forum thing all you like. My mistake for coming here. Its always the same in these places.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The original Yaggi was hailed by subjective reviewers as wonderful while measuring very poorly. At over $2k it looked like a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Stereodude

You guys can sit here doing the forum thing all you like. My mistake for coming here. Its always the same in these places.
Actually, it's not. Most places are probably more to your liking where the accepted performance level of gear scales linearly with price and people will be impressed by your expensive purchases.

oleg87

There are a lot of "experts" here yet none make dac's people buy. Hmmmmm?
Yes, some of us are paid to work on actual engineering problems instead of adding to the vast pile of interchangeable audio DACs, which ceased to be an interesting technical problem decades ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom