• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Does Google not work for you? Start with the classic papers of Lipshitz & Vanderkooy, Clark, Carlstrom, and of course Olive and Toole.

ABX is one format for controlled testing. There are many others, which have been well established in sensory science. The key is ears only- double blind and level matched. Don’t do that and you’re playing make believe- or marketing.
So we are either delusional or liars? Please, tell me what you really think?! Also, for a forum that claims to be helpful you, in particular and not a reflection of others, certainly can't resist being demeaning. It's impressive, really.

The point of the listening test was to challenge presuppositions on what DAC would sound best versus what the individual experienced separate of their own bias. We weren't looking to publish the results.

So essentially all the papers that were in Clark's Ten Year's of A/B/X testing that was presented at AES in 91. I was just wondering if there was any other seminal work I might have missed.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I believe T. M is more on the marketing /PR side, he's saying contact the designers/technical side directly if you want to go into technical product details.
AND HOW DARE YOU?!?!?! I am their Director of Finance/Administration. I would never sully my good name as a PR guy. ;) But seriously I wanted Schiit to have a presence here so I volunteered for the position. I guess I am a bit of a PR guy. Sadly.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AND HOW DARE YOU?!?!?! I am their Director of Finance/Administration. I would never sully my good name as a PR guy. ;) But seriously I wanted Schiit to have a presence here so I volunteered for the position. I guess I am a bit of a PR guy. Sadly.
Schiits very own Daniel! Hats off to you. (fellow finance and admin type here too).

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Luckily, I don't have to worry about schiit r&d. My very first purchase in audio was the original jotunheim, it had a loud 80hz hum that I fixed with a humx. But there was still backround noise so I purchased a usb isolater that helped. There was still noise with no music playing and touching the knob would lower the noise for some odd reason. This issue was identified by Amir so after his review I sent my jotunheim in to be "fixed". But it came back with the same issue with the knob and noise.

I ended up finding this site and purchasing a rme adi 2 dac. I was blown away by how great it sounded and no matter how much I turned up the volume, I could not hear the noise floor (I got rid of my humx and usb isolator because the rme wasn't broken). This lesson really taught me a lot. If you are wondering why people appreciate Amir's third party testing, this type of situation is why. Without this site I might still be in audiofoolia.

Sending it in to get fixed and schiit being unable to fix the problem told me all I needed to know about schiit, at least at that time. I have noticed in more recent years a more scientific approach seemed to have been taken by schitt, particularly after Amir's reviews which seemed really promising. Maybe I was just being too optimistic.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So we are either delusional or liars? Please, tell me what you really think?! Also, for a forum that claims to be helpful you, in particular and not a reflection of others, certainly can't resist being demeaning. It's impressive, really.

The point of the listening test was to challenge presuppositions on what DAC would sound best versus what the individual experienced separate of their own bias. We weren't looking to publish the results.

So essentially all the papers that were in Clark's Ten Year's of A/B/X testing that was presented at AES in 91. I was just wondering if there was any other seminal work I might have missed.
Please don’t put words in my mouth. THAT is dishonest.

I’ve given you the start you need to bring yourself up to speed on the basics. Now it’s up to you.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Please don’t put words in my mouth. THAT is dishonest.

I’ve given you the start you need to bring yourself up to speed on the basics. Now it’s up to you.
Wouldn't dream of it. I don't need to do that. Your opinion seems very clear. If you are not trying to be demeaning or adversarial. My apologies.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am well up to speed as I already have those sources.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wouldn't dream of it. I don't need to do that. Your opinion seems very clear. If you are not trying to be demeaning or adversarial. My apologies.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am well up to speed as I already have those sources.
Excellent! Now let’s see controlled listening tests.

I have no experience with your products, but I’ve tested quite a few other good measuring DACs and mostly haven’t found an audible difference between them. One exception: the RME with the NOS filter sounds slightly softer than the bypass. With the normal filter, it sounds the same as all the other competent DACs I’ve tried.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor

Very funny!! Kudos...

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When it comes to the animus between Amir and Schiit, I have no dog in that race. But I'm strongly pleased with my bargain-basement Modi 3+, and if Schiit made something with the DSP capabilities of the RME ADI-2 or the miniDSP products, I'd be shopping on their pages for my next upgrade. I think they know what they're doing, choose not to chase SINAD nadir at all times, and they don't BS about what they do.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
When it comes to the animus between Amir and Schiit, I have no dog in that race. But I'm strongly pleased with my bargain-basement Modi 3+, and if Schiit made something with the DSP capabilities of the RME ADI-2 or the miniDSP products, I'd be shopping on their pages for my next upgrade. I think they know what they're doing, choose not to chase SINAD nadir at all times, and they don't BS about what they do.
RME doesn't chase sinad while having transparent performance.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But seriously I wanted Schiit to have a presence here so I volunteered for the position. I guess I am a bit of a PR guy. Sadly.
Your doing a dang good job of it.
I do wish all our members would attempt to be as cordial.
I would hope that in the end the waters could be smoothed and good relations could be returned to.
No one wins if that can't be accomplished, we all lose.
Cheers All,
Sal1950

gvl

Major Contributor
I can't find a THD+N(F) sweep in Schitt's data, but they include CCIF(F) which I think is another way to look at the former. Seems that the multi-tone won't be as pretty as 1kHz testing, but let's wait and see.

1631321750337.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be clear, I will review any Schiit product members or company sends me. My testing of electronic products is all objective/standardized with no way for me to influence them. Beyond this, I have been gushing about the company and its new approach in the last couple of years in my reviews and commentary in general. That came crashing down with the interview that Mike and Jason gave and disrespectful tone toward me, and what we are about. This is not going to stop me from giving a fair review of Schiit products but my personal position is no longer one to advocate the company as a whole.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, I will review any Schiit product members or company sends me. My testing of electronic products is all objective/standardized with no way for me to influence them. Beyond this, I have been gushing about the company and its new approach in the last couple of years in my reviews and commentary in general. That came crashing down with the interview that Mike and Jason gave and disrespectful tone toward me, and what we are about. This is not going to stop me from giving a fair review of Schiit products but my personal position is no longer one to advocate the company as a whole.
How can I view this video? What is a proper link?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
How can I view this video? What is a proper link?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Even though I'll undoubtable disagree, I'd still like to see what was said.

Top Bottom