• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
12 feet (3.6 m).

https://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_37

At 8 Ohms: dB/W/m = dB/2.83v/m

Calculations if they were 8 Ohms speakers.

80 dBSPL continuos is loud. If you listen to very good recordings with high/very high DR like me, at least DR15 -> You want 95 dBSPL at 3.6 m.

https://www.doctorproaudio.com/content.php?2273-calculators-proaudio-sound-dmx&langid=1#calc_spl

View attachment 37277

At 4 Ohms -> 100 watts.

At 2 Ohms -> 200 watts.

Problem, the amplifier will work near the limit so you need one that is well built and capable of supplying a large amount of current and, if possible, does not generate a huge amount of heat inside.

Using Hypex SMPS does not seem like the best idea for 2 Ohms loads. Better with forced cooling with very quiet fans like the very silent Noctua.

Note that the maggies will behave like a line-array and will drop less than 11 dB@12feet.

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-class-d-amp-build-quality.7717/post-230982
Hypex SMPS + NCxxx and so much power will need good ventilation, even forced with one or two silent fans (Noctua, low revolutions, 11dBA, if two: 14 dBA << 19 dBA-21 dBA, from which the human ear begins to hear) if you want to harness so much power in a sports hall, I say. At home it does mot make much sense.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/post-230766

maty

Major Contributor

Apollon NC1200SL Amplifier
[ 10mm Aluminium Faceplate
Faceplate Color: Silver
Logo Size: Small Logo
Input connector choice: Balanced XLR only
Input buffer board and Op Amp choice (600,00€): Apollon PRO buffer boards with 2x Sonic Imagery 990Enh-Ticha Op Amp
Binding Post Configuration: WBT 0703CU
12v Trigger (50,00€): 12v Trigger
Input Voltage: US 110V
Feet Choice: Black aluminium feet ]

€ 2.940 (ex. VAT) + shipping to NA? -> a lot of $. Just now, 1.11 $/€. With $ 300 shipping? -> about $ 3.600.

Last edited:

tensor9

Forum Donor
Apollon NC1200SL Amplifier

[ 10mm Aluminium Faceplate
Faceplate Color: Silver
Logo Size: Small Logo
Input connector choice: Balanced XLR only
Input buffer board and Op Amp choice (600,00€): Apollon PRO buffer boards with 2x Sonic Imagery 990Enh-Ticha Op Amp
Binding Post Configuration: WBT 0703CU
12v Trigger (50,00€): 12v Trigger
Input Voltage: US 110V
Feet Choice: Black aluminium feet ]

€ 2.940 (ex. VAT) + shipping to NA? -> a lot of $.
Yep, it’s going to be $3200 or so. Right in my budget.
I’ve been taking to the guys at Apollon. They’ll even adjust the gain for me.

maty

Major Contributor
Other option, in US:

AVA SET 400 amp and Maggie .7 speakers
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165771.0

-> https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-400-amplifier
The SET 400 is our most powerful solid state amplifier. It is rated at 225 watts per channel into 8 ohms and much more into 4 ohms and operates safely into 2 ohms. It’s comfortable paired with any speaker, including speakers demanding a LOT of power.

$ 2.200 + shipping and you have 30 days. And it is SET -> Single Ended Topology!

If I lived in the US, I would buy first. If it does not convince me I will have lost little money.

In EU, PURIFI 1ET400A, without customs and expensive shipping. And a DIY kit in the future.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BreakingBad

Left: Danish | Right: Chinese

_s_4_2.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So, does anyone have a nice flat Phase graph at the listening position, where it really matters? (if it does at all)

maty

Major Contributor
Interesting. I can see three different components (2+2+1=5). Two SMD resitors and the more obvious -> Asian modules cheaper and better? And the connectors too.

PURIFI-1ET400A02b-coils-asian.jpg

and PCB001A -> PCB001C

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Nope. The first limited batch was made in EU and it cost $ 200 (each module) more than the future Asian modules, so that assemblers could do the tests, modify/design own boutique input buffers and sell some (expensive because the EU modules inside). And it seems that they have refined the product.

In Spanish we have a saying: "los primeros suelen pagar el pato" -> the former usually pay the duck.

That is why it took months to buy the ODAC despite having followed its development from the beginning, and it is the same thing that is convenient to do with any new product, as happened with the Topping DX3.

Last edited:

Audiocrusader

Nope. The first limited batch was made in EU and it cost $ 200 (each module) more than the future Asian modules, so that assemblers could do the tests, modify/design own boutique input buffers and sell some (expensive because the EU modules inside). And it seems that they have refined the product.

In Spanish we have a saying: "los primeros suelen pagar el pato" -> the former usually pay the duck.

That is why it took months to buy the ODAC despite having followed its development from the beginning, and it is the same thing that is convenient to do with any new product, as happened with the Topping DX3.

It looks to me that the only revisions are the removal of a few test points, and a nickel plated header rather than gold. Something that would result in a reduction of BOM. A couple of the resistors are different, but that's common practice among any audio gear to use different brands of SMT parts due to availability, not performance. You will find 10 different brands of ceramic caps and resistors with the exact same spec at all the major electronic suppliers. And 1 day there could be 50000 in stock of one brand, and sold out the next day. So from lot to lot it's standard to see different SMT components. You'll see this on Icepower, Hypex, and Pascal modules as well.

Yet here you are spreading rumours pulled from thin air once again. A major disservice to the community.

Audiocrusader

I don't see any problem with his post, seems to be saying the same as you are.

The problem with his post is he's trying to convince people that the Asian versions are superior because they use a cheaper nickel plated header rather than the gold on the Danish modules. And that the revisions made to the PCB have resulted in refinement of the product. When in reality all they did was remove a couple test points which would have absolutely no impact on the measured or subjective results of the modules.

Top Bottom