• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

threni

Major Contributor
I could say just as the bass with these amps is incredible, with exceptionally clean voltage to the processor & DACs, saxophones etc sound as if they are in the room, with one caveat - you have to know how live music sounds. But I'm not going to for fear of further castigation.

As with any of the amps mentioned, a single test tone is revealing. Thirty two test tones are very informative, but in the end there is only one test instrument for music - the ears, so have an open mind and be prepared to believe what you are hearing.

Your opinion is literally worthless to me. I don't know who you are so you have no reputation, and based on your typing here today you have no credibility regarding whether this piece of equipment more faithfully reproduces an input signal than that. Had you published some measurements, it would be a different matter entirely. As long as you're happy with your equipment, though, that's the important thing.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have an open mind and be prepared to believe what you are hearing.

Again, have an open mind - but not so open your brain falls out. Do you always believe what you see?

PaulD

... but in the end there is only one test instrument for music - the ears, so have an open mind and be prepared to believe what you are hearing.
So, believe the ears, but not the biases, and the ONLY way to do that (as outlined previously) is to use proper scientific method and remove biases with a level-matched DBT (for everyone, not just you).

[As others might remember, I have changed the colour of the LED on an amplifier and had people claim a difference in sound... DBTs are absolutely needed to determine a real difference.]

Last edited:

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought of building the Purifi amps too. At the time it seemed to be a bit more complicated to source the components for the build. ...
Fortunately, this is now much easier. You have more choice.

Smislov

What sound color will I have if I connect smsl m500 to Harman Kardon (to be a preamp because I have turntable and a lot of CD's) to hypex??? Did color sound will take part from pre amp and hypex.. or just from Hypex?
Tnx

TimF

Forum Donor
"...I have developed the ability to shut off my beliefs/feelings/expectations and make logical decisions...." That is like forgetting the locations of the light switches in your house that you can easily find in the dark. It is like forgetting who became president after JFK was killed. It is like putting aside your food and taste preferences. Can you be neutral about brussels sprout? Commander Spock on a good day might have achieved it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What sound color will I have if I connect smsl m500 to Harman Kardon (to be a preamp because I have turntable and a lot of CD's) to hypex??? Did color sound will take part from pre amp and hypex.. or just from Hypex?
Tnx

The hypex has no color, so any color will come from your preamp and sources.

pma

Major Contributor
The hypex has no color, so any color will come from your preamp and sources.
It would be pretty difficult to make a scientific proof of this statement, in a listening test.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be pretty difficult to make a scientific proof of this statement, in a listening test.

Actually, a blind listening test is pretty much the only thing that would establish scientific proof of that statement.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How so? Or is it just a reference to the ambiguity of the term "color"?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No, it would actually be the only way to show possible differences. Or are you referring to setting up a base line that should be considered not colored (whatever that may be)?

Smislov

Can I use Nobsound Little Bear MC3 3-IN-3-OUT ... (CD player, TV & PC) to DAC to Balanced to Hypex; Turntable with preamp to RCA to Hypex? TNX
1607283248417.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I use Nobsound Little Bear MC3 3-IN-3-OUT ... (CD player, TV & PC) to DAC to Balanced to Hypex; Turntable with preamp to RCA to Hypex? TNX

Just for switching? There is no problem driving a balanced input from an unbalanced output.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh in this case I don't have sound regulator for turntable :(

I assume the turntable needs a preamp with RIAA correction anyway.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but many of them have fixed levels for use with a line-level-only preamp or integrated. I assume @Smislov has one of this variety.

Right. So with that many different sources, I guess what you need is a traditional line-level preamp.

hutt132

Does this have an auto-off/on feature that detects when a signal is being passed to it?
If not, what is the idle wattage?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Does this have an auto-off/on feature that detects when a signal is being passed to it?
If not, what is the idle wattage?
No Hypex board has this feature embedded. External board needs to be added.
Idle wattage depends from both the amplifier and the power supply used.
One NC400 is idling at 4.5 W, SMPS600 is idling at 5 W, so the configuration tested here is idling at 14 W. A dual mono configuration like the one sold by Hypex will idle at 19 W.

Top Bottom