• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

doug2761

Forum Donor
Yes i think so too.

Thanks for the qick answers!
If you have a basic volt meter then you can do a quick check to make sure the binding posts aren't inadvertently shorting to ground. Same for making sure the pins on the XLR connectors are correct. When I built my NC400 monoblocks I recall that everything plugged together so the chances of having something reversed was really small. Also wondering if the red leds are all lighting up as they should.

Oscar21

hi guys,
sorry for my beginner questions, but I can't get on without you.
i have now soldered both nampon cables through the metal eyelet on pin1 of the xlr connector - still have the same problem.

here are the actual pictures.

What did i do wrong?

Attachments

• nAMPON XLR11.jpg
    nAMPON XLR11.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 222
  • nAMPON XLR22.jpg
    nAMPON XLR22.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 225

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
hi guys,
sorry for my beginner questions, but I can't get on without you.
i have now soldered both nampon cables through the metal eyelet on pin1 of the xlr connector - still have the same problem.

here are the actual pictures.

What did i do wrong?
If you live in a country with mains @ 220 V, take a multimeter and check all supply rails referenced to chassis (carefully).
Else (mains @ 110 V) install the jumper on J3.

robertpos

Hi guys!

This is my first post here...

I am going to build stereo amplifier: 2 x nc400 + 2 x SMPS600N400.

When the amplifier is not in use, I want to have minimal power consumption. Therefore, I am going to add a small, high-efficiency, 5V power supply, to control the "Standby" lines in the power supplies.

I have a two questions about this:
1. To switch SMPS into standby mode, I need to apply external voltage to the "Standby" pin. Since there are two power supplies, I have a doubt - may I have one common +5V signal for each of them? This means, that I will have to connect pin J1.1 (Standby) in first SMPS with J1.1 in the second one. Same with J1.5 (GND). May i do that? Will I not damage the SMPS in this way?

2. When switching between SMPS modes: Standby-> active and active-> standby, will I generate popping sound in the speakers? I would like to avoid this. I have read many pages of this thread and still don't know under what circumstances this popping sound is heard. Can someone explain / check it?

Regards!
Robert

Gregss

As a general question relevant for all amplifiers, what is your view on the validity of thd + noise going up to 90 kHz when beyond 20 kHz its is not audible and very few speakers will reproduce beyond 30 kHz? It may also make comparison with data available elsewhere difficult.

My view is it isn't valid, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

Ultrasonic garbage can be viewed with an fft which is more informative. As a second question on that point, ultrasonic garbage output from a dac can be of issue for a subsequent Amplifier. Is USG an issue for a speaker which has no response to it? Think of how class D works.
Hello,

Would argue that ultrasonic "garbage" would be limited a lot by the inductance/capacitance of the speaker cables, crossover network and finally the inductance of the voice coils. Really doubt any anything would come out as something you could hear from the speakers.

Oscar21

Hi guys
I have found my mistake. I forgot to set J6 and J7 to unregulated vaux on smps1200.

Now I am in the game.

Wow!!

doug2761

Forum Donor
Hi guys
I have found my mistake. I forgot to set J6 and J7 to unregulated vaux on smps1200.

Now I am in the game.

Wow!!

Congrats on getting the project done. I hope you enjoy them. I think they're terrific sounding amps in that they are just transparent. Not adding or subtracting from the upstream sources. The measured performance is just spectacular.

Pritaudio

Is there still overheating/failure rates on these nc400 modules. Or is it just the power supply.
it’s just that the n500 don’t seem to have such high rates of overheating/failure and measure much better closer to the purifi modules.
trying to find a uk vendor who will build it for me.

6speed

The NC400 modules stay cool. The SMPS600 run hot because they are inadequately heatsinked, and I doubled its load by building stereo modules. However, I have active speakers and my power requirements per channel are low. If you want a more reliable PS, use the SMPS1200A400.

The other thing I did was to add a 120mm fan to my rack. At just 3.3V it is silent, but still moves enough are to make a dramatic difference in the temperature of my 8 channels of Hypex amplification.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it’s just that the n500 don’t seem to have such high rates of overheating/failure and measure much better closer to the purifi modules.

In what way does the nc500 measure better than the nc400?

Zoomer

but is there a problem with longevity with the nc400.

They were introduced in 2014. If there was a longevity problem you would have found out by googling.
I suppose you are addressing longevity doubts regarding the SMPS and not the NC400 amp module itself btw.

Gregss

They were introduced in 2014. If there was a longevity problem you would have found out by googling.
I suppose you are addressing longevity doubts regarding the SMPS and not the NC400 amp module itself btw.
Hello All,

NC400 has not had any heat problems that I am aware of and I have looked. Using the small SMPS to power two NC400 modules could very well cause problems as it is not rated to power two modules at once. Seems to do fine except when the modules are driven hard. I have the two NC400 modules in a larger case so there is more room between then and quite a bit of space between them and the SMPS1200A400 power supply as well and there is no problem with cooling at all. Trying to cram everything into the smallest possible case with an underrated power supply is far less than ideal. Nobody would suggest using an underrated linear power supply for a power amp, so why they are using an underrated SMPS is a mystery to me. Seems to work fairly well, but then expecting premium results is nuts. IMHO.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody would suggest using an underrated linear power supply for a power amp, so why they are using an underrated SMPS is a mystery to me. Seems to work fairly well, but then expecting premium results is nuts. IMHO.

Depends on your definition of "underrated". The Hypex datasheet shows the SMPS600 is perfectly fine powering two NC400's.

Gregss

Depends on your definition of "underrated". The Hypex datasheet shows the SMPS600 is perfectly fine powering two NC400's.
Yes, barely. And the testing on this site shows increased distortion when driving them both of them hard which does not show up when they are driven individually. You want the best, don't use a marginal power supply.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, barely. And the testing on this site shows increased distortion when driving them both of them hard which does not show up when they are driven individually. You want the best, don't use a marginal power supply.

Again, what is marginal? The performance would be even better with an even more powerful supply - where do you draw the line?

doug2761

Forum Donor
I built the NC400 monoblocks from Hypex's DIY store. I haven't found them to get unusually warm. I also haven't read anything about longevity problems. Just the concern that Amir pointed out about the heatsink over top of the electrolytic caps. At the time I went with the NC400's over the Purifi because Hypex offered the complete kit. It's comforting to me to have a company support the entire build. The measurements are so close on those two amps that I can't imagine there to be an audible difference in my system.

Gregss

Again, what is marginal? The performance would be even better with an even more powerful supply - where do you draw the line?

Well, marginal to me is limiting the performance from what a design could do by going with a cheaper power supply. You don't want to get the best that a device is capable of, that is your option. As long as you are happy with that, no problem.

Top Bottom