• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

pedrob

Anyone with narrow minded prejudices and aggressive tendencies has my deepest sympathy.

Assuming there is only one way of thinking indicates flawed thinking.

Thanks for the laugh!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone with narrow minded prejudices and aggressive tendencies has my deepest sympathy.

Assuming there is only one way of thinking indicates flawed thinking.

Thanks for the laugh!

Thanks for the generalized ad hominem. By the way, thinking anyone who disagrees with your world view exhibits flawed thinking indicates flawed thinking. :)

Anyway, always remember "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out".

There is this funny little thing called "science" - you know, as in in the name of this forum...

threni

Major Contributor
Thanks for the generalized ad hominem. By the way, thinking anyone who disagrees with your world view exhibits flawed thinking indicates flawed thinking. :)

Anyway, always remember "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out".

There is this funny little thing called "science" - you know, as in in the name of this forum...

I think his point is that instead of science he can simply engage one of his other ways of thinking; one where he is not subject to the subconscious biases, misconceptions and so on which are part of the normal psychological make up of every other human being on the planet. A "golden brain", if you like.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think his point is that instead of science he can simply engage one of his other ways of thinking; one where he is not subject to the subconscious biases, misconceptions and so on which are part of the normal psychological make up of every other human being on the planet. A "golden brain", if you like.

Ah, yes, kind of like the "don't trust any mainstream media, it is all a conspiracy" crowd? So the next reaction will be "do your own research!"? :)

pedrob

Tell me this. If you change a setting on your equipment, can you hear the difference of do you need someone to do a test for you?

I thought so...

Oh dear, that's a pity.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tell me this. If you change a setting on your equipment, can you hear the difference of do you need someone to do a test for you?

I thought so...

Oh dear, that's a pity.

Oh dear. Even as straw men go, that one was a pretty poor one. You can do better!

You know what? The internet is full of faith-based audiophile groups that will accept you with open arms without bothering you with this "science" crap.

pedrob

Honestly, you can not be serious. Yes I'm as frustrated as John McEnroe.

Are you telling me you are unable to hear the difference at home hen you change to volume without someone telling you what you're hearing.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Is that too bright? Is that too loud. Wait until I grab my meter.

For god's sake. Surely you can decide something by yourself without needing a test for everything.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you telling me you are unable to hear the difference at home hen you change to volume without someone telling you what you're hearing.

Of course not. What makes you think I am.

Do you know what a straw man argument is?

pedrob

You're telling me I can't appreciate what I'm hearing, so what as I to think?

I'm thinking there's a double standard here and you can tell the difference when the tone changes. But I can't! WTF?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I am telling you you can't use just your subjective impression to support any claims. Do you know the term "expectation bias"? Do you believe your senses are infallible?

PaulD

I'm thinking there's a double standard here and you can tell the difference when the tone changes. But I can't! WTF?
Not at all, everyone is saying that no one can tell the differences without a controlled test. That is what I said a dozen posts ago. It is the way the human mind works. Read the posts I pointed to on the last page :facepalm:

threni

Major Contributor
Not at all, everyone is saying that no one can tell the differences without a controlled test. That is what I said a dozen posts ago. It is the way the human mind works. Read the posts I pointed to on the last page :facepalm:

Or just read any posts on any page on this site. Try to get a feel for what you're misunderstanding.

pedrob

How magnificent would have been if you'd said I'm glad you believe you can hear a difference, however I prefer to wait and see the test results.

Now that'd be awesome, but I guess it would be expecting too.

Come on, I'm not making any claims, just expressing an opinion that others may or may not care to investigate.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on, I'm not making any claims, just expressing an opinion that others may or may not care to investigate.

What you wrote was:
I opened up the case of my 4300 and physically disconnected the inputs to the power boards. The improvement was simply amazing and upper frequencies are now as stunning as the bass.

The only conclusion I can draw is that surround processing demands stunningly perfect, stable and clean power supplies and the inclusion of extra features and channels puts additional stresses on more compact power supplies.

When @PaulD responded with this:

No, I think the conclusion that you should draw from this is that a double-blind test is required to verify that these effects actually exist rather than being the effects of bias. This is the standard of evidence ASR promotes, not casual listening tests.

I would point you to this post for reference https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...aphic-dac-available.17062/page-17#post-556223
When people do a blind test suddenly all of the "obvious differences" between the amplifiers disappear. It is a very sobering experience to be part of and I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to do it. Also worth reading is the PDF from that post https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/Valves versus Transistors DCD.pdf

This has been proved so many times I am sorry to keep repeating that double-blind and level matched tests are needed to verify audible differences. Casual listening tests, particularly with amplifiers (and DACs), tell us basically nothing. What audible differences actually exist between amplifiers can be readily explained by their measurements (frequency response, distortion, output impedance, and so on).

you launched off into a tirade with stuff like

Telling me I'm fooling myself is the height of arrogance.

To say subjective assessments are useless is simply bizarre.

Why would anyone need to be blindfolded? The only reason I can think of is their emotions are overbearing and influencing.

Perhaps the difference is I have developed to ability to shut off my beliefs/feelings/expectations and make logical decisions based on what I hear and not what I read.

that includes a bunch of absurd claims.

threni

Major Contributor
How magnificent would have been if you'd said I'm glad you believe you can hear a difference, however I prefer to wait and see the test results.

Now that'd be awesome, but I guess it would be expecting too.

You started off with "I believe the upper register is fine but certainly nowhere as spectacular as the bass..." and now you're talking about tests - what a journey!

Looking forward to the test results...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Perhaps the difference is I have developed to ability to shut off my beliefs/feelings/expectations and make logical decisions based on what I hear and not what I read.

I think most people in here see that as a physical impossibility. A bit like developing the ability to breath under water.

Sometimes it seems like everybody just goes: "DBT, or it didn't happen!" to anything and everyting. A precautionary statement like: "It might just all be in my head, but here's what I have have experienced" can help a lot if you want to avoid it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes it seems like everybody just goes: "DBT, or it didn't happen!" to anything and everyting.

As long as there are people who go "I have developed to ability to shut off my beliefs/feelings/expectations", we will. :)

D

Deleted member 65

I fully agree and I can't imagine ever replacing my NC400s.

BTW I've seen concerns the SMPS600N400 power supplies overheat. I had that issue and it was so sever they cut out. My solution was attaching finned heatsinks to the flat heatsinks, massively improving air flow ability and attaching externals fans to keep the air flowing. Perfect and the supplies never get too hot to touch no matter how hard and long the amps are driven. Long term reliability is virtually assured. Plus I believe the power supplies are more stable and the amps sound better.

Built a pair of nCore’s back in 2013, now long gone since I was underwhelmed for reasons now unknown to me. Decided to take the Class D plunge again and assembled a Purifi/Neurochrome amp, couldn’t be happier. Used a passively cooled PC case, no overheating I’m sure, just because I wanted to build something different and pass some pandemic time. RME ADI-2 DAC as pre/DAC.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/post-579018

doug2761

Forum Donor
I thought of building the Purifi amps too. At the time it seemed to be a bit more complicated to source the components for the build. Having it all in one kit gave me a bit more confidence with the Hypex. Having it all in one chassis like the Purifi is convenient though.

pedrob

I could say just as the bass with these amps is incredible, with exceptionally clean voltage to the processor & DACs, saxophones etc sound as if they are in the room, with one caveat - you have to know how live music sounds. But I'm not going to for fear of further castigation.

As with any of the amps mentioned, a single test tone is revealing. Thirty two test tones are very informative, but in the end there is only one test instrument for music - the ears, so have an open mind and be prepared to believe what you are hearing.

Top Bottom