• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
solderdude
let me a bit correct you yet, PDv2 has no 2nd harmonic domination mode aka SE but 9038S has. New #9038S Gen2 has additional IEM mode and ready for 4ohm load.

I stand corrected... only the PDv2 can be used with the app and have all kinds of DSP applied but has no '2nd harmonics added mode' .

Does the 9038S remember its 'mode' setting or does it default to 'normal' when plugged in ?

Veri

Master Contributor
PDv2 gonna be out of stock for a week-two because yesterday I've got 240pcs soldered PCBAs with a fake TAS5558. 100% of PDv2 PCBAs don't work. Now I have to replace all 240pcs bad 5558 by my hand, and it will be slow. T.I.C. (This Is China)
Ouch man, they really fake everything :s

Senegalas

It is not really fake ICs, rather dead ICs. I guess they were unsoldered and cleaned up to make look like a brand new after massively broken after some design mistake. Stupid people burned a few thousand TAS5558, and next sold again to another stupid(me) ;)
Well I hope they gonna refund the money you paid for those

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is not really fake ICs, rather dead ICs. I guess they were unsoldered and cleaned up to make look like a brand new after massively broken after some design mistake. Stupid people burned a few thousand TAS5558, and next sold again to another stupid(me) ;)

That's some bad, time consuming luck...

Sorry to hear about that.

Ardier Matavy

Yes it works with Android. Whether or not it works with you're phone will depend on the (possible) power output limitations on some brands. It works like a charm with my Galaxy S8. Battery drain is quite high though (as should be expected from a device with these specs).
thanks!

doctorjuggles

New #9038S Gen2 has additional IEM mode and ready for 4ohm load.

Is Gen2’s new feature-set a hardware or firmware change?
My Gen1 literally just arrived, but as I will mainly use it with IEMs I was just wondering :)

Andy79

Yep, mine is on its way, and have the same question.
Unfortunately will not be able to keep buying all iterations.

doctorjuggles

In fairness Ivan has always been clear that this iteration isn’t really made for IEMs, but I’m hopeful for a firmware fix nonetheless ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

doctorjuggles

Does anyone have any recommendations for the data cables to run between the 9038S and portable devices (so USB type C to type C OTG and also USB type C to lightning)?
I can barely find anything, and most of them are (a) really long and (b) do not conform to OTG standards.

Realise I’ve already asked this question but I’m hoping some people have managed to find some bits and pieces now a few of us have bought the DAC :)

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
doctorjuggles
The original #9038S is near to out of stock, next week-two we'll offer #9038S G2 which able to work any iOS/Android devices without an external power source i.e. any USB type C to type C OTG and also USB type C to lightning will work no problem. Also, G2 will get IEM mode.
I have USB-C/USB-C 10" cable and use it successfully with Android, also, I have USB-A/USB-C 1.5m cable and it is fine too with my PC. The only reason to be better for 10" cable is lower resistance, hence, higher max power.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I connect this to a pair of LSR305s?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is answerred here

You MUST use the XLR inputs and make a cable for it.
Leave pin 1 on both XLR's unconnected.

Top Bottom