• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It does not work that way. The amp section does not 'transfer' power.
USB3.0 can provide more power (and even more voltage) but this has to be negotiated with the USB 3.0 host otherwise it defaults to a lower output power.

With 5V supply voltage and balanced one can only get 3.5V max (will be slightly lower in practice) which is about 0.75W in 16 Ohm.
When using 7 Ohm headphones (say the Verum1) you could get more power but don't know what the current limit of the used amplifier is.
That may well be more of a limiting factor in that case.
You could feed it of an external 5V power supply that can deliver 10A and still won't get more output power than the headphones can draw.

If you want moar powerrr you need a higher output voltage.

Senegalas

The powerdac has a mode where the signal is 'f-ed up' on purpose. In that mode you get substantial 2nd harmonics added on purpose.
Also, when using the app you have 'basic tone control' functionality.
That will work with any USB source and program. Most software players have their own tone control though.
Another feature is 'loudness control' (not loudness war setting) but varying bass levels depending on volume setting.
The 'added value' is in the added 2nd harm. distortion IF you prefer that alteration of the sound.
It also has 7 PEQ filters so you can correct a headphone (when you know how to do this)
9038 is much smaller in size though.

IVX seems to prefer the distortion mode. Not possible in the 9038 though.
Powerdac can also be set to 'performance mode' in which case it is like the 9038.

Do note that PowerDAC and the early 9038 models require extra power to start with certain phones. The newer revision has a slow start.

USB3 won't deliver more power in the headphones as it is dictated by the power supply voltage and headphone impedance.

So your choice may have to depend on functionality here.
But from your perspective would you take 9038 over powerdac?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would choose the 9038 when I just wanted a small DAC that provided balanced out only, was small and has no frills on it.
I would also wait with ordering until the latest revision is sold that works directly from a phone as well.

I would choose the PowerDAC when I was looking for a balanced out only DAC and wanted to utilize the extra functionality of the DSP app.
Without that app the higher price and bigger size will not be of any benefit.

So it would have to be a functionality, price and size decision and the extra condition would be the headphone must be balanced.

Senegalas

I would choose the 9038 when I just wanted a small DAC that provided balanced out only, was small and has no frills on it.
I would also wait with ordering until the latest revision is sold that works directly from a phone as well.

I would choose the PowerDAC when I was looking for a balanced out only DAC and wanted to utilize the extra functionality of the DSP app.
Without that app the higher price and bigger size will not be of any benefit.

So it would have to be a functionality, price and size decision and the extra condition would be the headphone must be balanced.
I don't think it it would make sense to use it with a phone because it would drain too much power

Senegalas

Also powerdac is cheaper. Do you have both by any chance? And my phone is pretty new so I think even gen1 would work

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't have smartphone (just a handy that can make calls and SMS), don't have either DAC nor any balanced headphones, at least not balanced cables for those headphones that can be used this way.

When you want to use it as a home DAC that drives balanced headphones directly any of these may do fine.
The powerDAC may require you to buy extra software when you want to use that functionality ?

Best ask IVX he seems quite responsive.

Senegalas

I don't have smartphone (just a handy that can make calls and SMS), don't have either DAC nor any balanced headphones, at least not balanced cables for those headphones that can be used this way.

When you want to use it as a home DAC that drives balanced headphones directly any of these may do fine.
The powerDAC may require you to buy extra software when you want to use that functionality ?

I think I will just go with 9038 you can't go wrong with top tier chips and that stuff.

muths66

remember me the verum guy that pmyou. i been using powerdac very satisfying with it.

Senegalas

Damn seems like ppl are shilling powerdac v2. Not sure which one should I really order. Since powerfac is cheaper i prob should go for powerdac

Senegalas

@IVX Also the one I just bought (last one) did that that one have real TAS558? Because I kinda can't wait for weeks if that is the case

Top Bottom