• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just to add to the chorus, I've never heard the fan come on with either of my XLS2502s. They have sufficient finesse for my ears and give me the ability to run subs with an adjustable high pass which is gold in my book.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
1mS. is over a foot. I guess I would tell ARC it is a foot further away than it is.

Got my new cabinet built, so tomorrow I can test and tune.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at their line. XLi, no DSP I don't need, XLS, seems to have some, so that implies a A2D / D2A process with subsequent delays. Need to search to see if an XLi has been tested.

Getting frustrating as I have a budget, but can't find anything that is just right. Best bet may be an old used AB for the single sub in the living room and use both old O-Audio plates for th HT. ( 350 @ .05% into 4)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/crown-xli-800-power-amplifier-review.9420/

rwortman

Forum Donor
The XLI series are class A/B amps and those fans will run. I bought one for an installed sound application and tried it at home just for fun. No complaints about the sound but the fan ran all the time and was clearly audible at low listening levels. If you put it far enough away maybe it doesn't matter. The DSP delay in the XLS amp is so small that I can't imagine it matters. People in audiophile land worry about electrical delays that are so small that it's actually funny. The common recommendation is that both speaker wires have to be the same length to prevent signal delay differences. The delay from 1 foot of speaker wire is about the same as moving the speaker .00000000001 inches. Now how accurately did you place them? A one foot delay in the bass region won't matter. A one foot delay to both stereo speakers won't matter. A one foot delay to one speaker in a surround setup might make a small difference but no more than someone not sitting at the exact spot of the measurement microphone or you leaning back in your chair.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The XLI series are class A/B amps and those fans will run. I bought one for an installed sound application and tried it at home just for fun. No complaints about the sound but the fan ran all the time and was clearly audible at low listening levels. If you put it far enough away maybe it doesn't matter. If you were to keep the XLI, perhaps a different fan (and maybe different fan position) would make some difference.

rwortman

Forum Donor
It’s installed at the client’s auditorium. It did make me think about pro amps in home systems and I subsequently bought an XLS1502 for my front LR pair and sold my NAD.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what happened to my last post: Just wondering if it would be quieter if a different fan was mounted (and perhaps mounted in a different location).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see anything that would cause me to get rid of any piece of NAD equipment that I have. But if I had the CROWN: I would be seeking a quieter fan situation.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It’s installed at the client’s auditorium. It did make me think about pro amps in home systems and I subsequently bought an XLS1502 for my front LR pair and sold my NAD.
Just curious as to why, did you require more power or something else?

sailor2005

The XLI series are class A/B amps and those fans will run. I bought one for an installed sound application and tried it at home just for fun. No complaints about the sound but the fan ran all the time and was clearly audible at low listening levels. If you put it far enough away maybe it doesn't matter. The DSP delay in the XLS amp is so small that I can't imagine it matters. People in audiophile land worry about electrical delays that are so small that it's actually funny. The common recommendation is that both speaker wires have to be the same length to prevent signal delay differences. The delay from 1 foot of speaker wire is about the same as moving the speaker .00000000001 inches. Now how accurately did you place them? A one foot delay in the bass region won't matter. A one foot delay to both stereo speakers won't matter. A one foot delay to one speaker in a surround setup might make a small difference but no more than someone not sitting at the exact spot of the measurement microphone or you leaning back in your chair.
I have a Crown XLi1500 and an XLS1002, and never heard their fans. Sitting like 2.5 ft in front of them with NO music playing. The XLi has 2 fans! Using now a Behringer A800 with an RME ADI-2 DAC v2. The Crowns are in reserve duty.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SAL1950 asked the question I was going to ask. We are curious about what the answer might be. I use three NAD 2200's that have been set up identically internally. 2 bridged in mono mode (into 4 Ohms [which Amirm did not test]) and one in stereo mode into 2 Ohms per channel [which Amirm also did not test]. If power was the question, this is Amirm's test of one of my NAD Triplet 2200's for power:
1609560479573.png

If FR was the question:
1609560821680.png

And if SINAD was the question:
1609560958258.png

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Crown XLi1500 and an XLS1002, and never heard their fans. Sitting like 2.5 ft in front of them with NO music playing. The XLi has 2 fans! Using now a Behringer A800 with an RME ADI-2 DAC v2. The Crowns are in reserve duty.
The RME ADI-2 DAC v2 is on my wish list!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s unlikely your Crown XLS fans would ever turn on in a home theater use case.
I was basing what I would do IF the fans (on any piece of equipment that I had) were LOUDLY running , even occasionally. But first I would try to find out if this was normal (likely not in a home theater use case). And if it is not, seek resolution through the warranty, dealership exchange or (if they are being an A-Hole about it) legal means. If the fan noise is deemed normal then the choices are change to fans that are of an acceptable noise limit or change to entirely different amps.

Velocity

Hi there, I just joined and would like to thank amirm for all their amazing reviews.
I have a question about the Crown XLS 1502. It's a 300 watt amp at 8 ohm, if used with speakers that have an RMS of 100-125 watts, (klipsch 600m/6000f) how concerned should I be for overdriving the speakers?
Is 12 o'clock 50% power, or a few clicks down from level 10? What do the -20 and -10 mean on the warning lights, dBs?
Thank you.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Just curious as to why, did you require more power or something else?
I wanted to try the Crown amp just to see test if a pro PA amp could replace an “audiophile” amp. My NAD C275BEE was rated for 150wpc into 8 or 4 ohms, the XLS1502, 300/525. The NAD had occasionally tripped the output protection for no apparent reason from new. I found an XLS1502 on a pro audio auction site brand new for $300. I bought it, listened to it for a week and liked it. As clean sounding as anything I’ve heard with seemingly infinite power reserves. I sold the NAD and put $200 in my pocket. This amp at that price is probably the best deal I‘ve had in 40+ years of messing around with audio gear. If this one ever blows up, I’ll buy another pro amp.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The NAD had occasionally tripped the output protection for no apparent reason from new.
That sounds like a good reason to me. ;)
As long as the internal fans don't bother you and your happy with it then that's all that matters.
Rock and Roll my friend!

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
New sub built and in place. Analysis of efficiency and excursion, analysis of mains. Well, my old amp is more than large enough. Failed at the BP-4 alignment; wound up with the pair in a .6 Qtc box, one driver reversed. For about 1 dB of increased odd harmonics, dropped even by 10 dB. Result is 3.5 % THD @ 30, 80 dB, 2.5 from 50 dropping to .5%. Old sub was over 15% @ 30. If I cranked it up, it could exceed 114 dB in-room. Way more than I would ever do.

New version of ARC Genesis software is far more flexible and solved several problems. So off to finish the new mains.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
That sounds like a good reason to me. ;)
As long as the internal fans don't bother you and your happy with it then that's all that matters.
Rock and Roll my friend!

What internal fans? Seriously, under what circumstances of typical home audio use would the fans be active. Never ever heard mine.

Top Bottom