• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

Samib

The newer Crown XLS models have a switch for two gain settings on the back. Many people were trying to drive the Crown's with the pre-out of AV receivers and found the gain too low so Crown added the additional setting with higher gain. The lowest noise and distortion is at the low gain setting.
Are you referring to input sensitivity setting 0.774v/1.4v? From what i read, lower input sensitivity is to match with AV receivers and such but it increases the noise from crown

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Are you referring to input sensitivity setting 0.774v/1.4v? From what i read, lower input sensitivity is to match with AV receivers and such but it increases the noise from crown
Crown recommends higher setting if possible. Crown observed demand for lower input sensitivity and provided the compromise.

JeffGB

Yes. I wasn't aware that the setting was in the DSP of the Crown XLS 1502. My XLI800 just has a switch.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. I wasn't aware that the setting was in the DSP of the Crown XLS 1502. My XLI800 just has a switch.
You're simply comparing dissimilar amps....the original XLS Drive Core series (XLS 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500) had no adjustable sensitivity (just 1.4V). XLS gen 2 had settings for both 1.4V and .775V. XLi is just different....

Samib

Between XLI and XLS, which is preferred for HT/Hifi use. On paper, XLI being Class AB seems like it should be better

JeffGB

Between XLI and XLS, which is preferred for HT/Hifi use. On paper, XLI being Class AB seems like it should be better
I expected that as well, but I find the XLI800 lacking in detail. The XLS is by far my preferred choice of those two.

Samib

Crown recommends higher setting if possible. Crown observed demand for lower input sensitivity and provided the compromise.
Makes sense. My Yamaha tsr-700 LR pre-out are quite low in output so Crown may work in my case. My Basx A-100 turns off after a while even when audio is playing because yamaha puts out such a low signal

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes sense. My Yamaha tsr-700 LR pre-out are quite low in output so Crown may work in my case. My Basx A-100 turns off after a while even when audio is playing because yamaha puts out such a low signal

The Crown if turned on will stay on Signal sensing on your A-100 would annoy me greatly, why not turn that feature off?

Why would class AB vs D be a determining factor on paper or otherwise?

thebizz

I'd value your opinion, please. Whilst I realise this amp isn't perfect, do you think I would gain benefits in using one as a power amplifier for the left and right channels of my av system using a Denon 3400. Speakers are MK 150. The Denon isn't bad sounding but starts to sound harsh when pushed to my normal upper listening level driving 7 speakers.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolutely. I am using a Yamaha Aventage 1070 AVR with an XLS 1502 on the front LR channels. Typically AVR power ratings are with two channels driven and they run out of power supply current rather dramatically as the channel count goes up. Using an external amp on the front LR speakers relieves the AVR of its biggest burden and usually leaves it with plenty of power to run the center and surround/height channels that have lower volumes in the mix.

thebizz

Thanks for the reply. I do find this a very informative site but it does make you start to think that anything short of a well-implemented high-end hypex amp is unlistenable. I would prefer if there wasn't a limit at 48 kHz but in practice my hearing or the sources used may be the limiter most of the time. I think I still need to understand more about the Denon avr. It doesn't have preamp mode like the latest iterations so the lr amps are still on so not sure what the power consumption saving will be.

Last edited:

rwortman

Forum Donor
If it has preamp outputs, and it looks like it does, it can be used as suggested above. If you have no speakers connected to two or more of it's internal amps, that lessens the load on the power supply. They are not class A amps, they draw much more current in use than while idle. This is why an AVR rated at say 100 watts per channel with two of them driven as they are usually rated, will often put out in the range of 60 to 70 watts per channel if you drive them all.

P.S There is no market in professional audio for amps that are "unlistenable". I can also certify with a reasonable confidence that I am not deaf.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. I do find this a very informative site but it does make you start to think that anything short of a well-implemented high-end hypex amp is unlistenable. I would prefer if there wasn't a limit at 48 kHz but in practice my hearing or the sources used may be the limiter most of the time. I think I still need to understand more about the Denon avr. It doesn't have preamp mode like the latest iterations so the lr amps are still on so not sure what the power consumption saving will be.

48khz is more than the 44.1khz of Redbook. Try down sampling a 96/24 file to 48/24 and do a blind a/b using Foobar. Unless you used some weird settings or something is broken, you are not going to be able to tell them apart.

thebizz

Thanks rwortman, yes the avr has preamp outputs it just does not have the preamp settings that the newer Denons have to disconnect the amp. This apparently leads to the amps potentially clipping even though they are not in use. With input sensitivity set at .75 it shouldn't be an issue to drive the Crown but I was just wondering how much the amps are actually drawing even when supposedly not in use.
My comments about unlistenable were somewhat tongue in check. More specifically Amir concluded that this amp was more suited to subwoofer use and recommending a Hypex NC400/NC500 instead. An nc500 based amp is 4 times the cost here.
Thanks Ron, Ill check out foobar and use my headphones. As I am now in my 40's I am making an assumption already that I will not be able to tell the difference but would be interesting to check.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Thanks rwortman, yes the avr has preamp outputs it just does not have the preamp settings that the newer Denons have to disconnect the amp. This apparently leads to the amps potentially clipping even though they are not in use. With input sensitivity set at .75 it shouldn't be an issue to drive the Crown but I was just wondering how much the amps are actually drawing even when supposedly not in use.
My comments about unlistenable were somewhat tongue in check. More specifically Amir concluded that this amp was more suited to subwoofer use and recommending a Hypex NC400/NC500 instead. An nc500 based amp is 4 times the cost here.
Thanks Ron, Ill check out foobar and use my headphones. As I am now in my 40's I am making an assumption already that I will not be able to tell the difference but would be interesting to check.

I don‘t understand the worry of an amp clipping with no load. Even if the voltage at the output terminals that aren’t connected to speakers hits the power supply rail, it is of no consequence. 7.2 and 9.2 channel AVR’s are routinely run in 5.1 systems with many amplifier channels not connected. The power supply is not going to be sending current to nonexistent loads. Are you saying that Denon supplied you with preamp outputs that can’t be properly used?

I also use my XLS1502 in a two channel system with a preamp/dac/VPI turntable driving my PSB Imagine T2 towers. It sounds great. Less than .1% distortion is generally accepted as inaudible. Many megabuck audiophile approved amps are no better. These amps are dirt cheap for the amount of performance you get. Find a place with a liberal return policy and try one.

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I don‘t understand the worry of an amp clipping with no load. Even if the voltage at the output terminals that aren’t connected to speakers hits the power supply rail, it is of no consequence. 7.2 and 9.2 channel AVR’s are routinely run in 5.1 systems with many amplifier channels not connected. The power supply is not going to be sending current to nonexistent loads. Are you saying that Denon supplied you with preamp outputs that can’t be properly used?
You do understand.

thebizz

I don't want to take this thread off-topic too much but just to explain my concern. I had home trials of the equivalent Pioneer and Yamaha receivers at the time and the Denon was easily the best in my setup by a good margin. Since then my cinema system has moved to a bigger room and now this is where I am feeling it is struggling to cope with driving seven 4 ohm speakers. I have been thinking of replacing the receiver but was thinking of adding external power instead. Cost-wise, to upgrade to the current Denon equivalent I could buy 4 xls1502 for all channels. The Denon 3300 behaves like the new model but doesn't have the option to turn the front amps off
1613213716355.png

In the AVR world it's still better than most but could be so much better with the implementation of the pre out setting. But the manual says the Crown has a .75v input setting so it shouldn't be an issue. And even though the amps are 'on' this should free up power reserves to drive the other speakers.
I ordered an xls1502 last night so will be trying it soon.

rwortman

Forum Donor
OK, now I see. The internal preamp would produce a slightly higher output if disconnected from the internal amps. This is of no consequence in the proposed application. You will need hearing protection to keep from being deafened should you approach that level of input.

Darknightsw

Hi .

I m Miguel from Portugal ,and i m a newbie to this kind os amps... i would like to have some help please.
I m thinking on buying 2 buttkicker bk lfe ( 400watts - 1500watts amp recomended) . I have spend already many hours trying to find the best option , and here in Europe i have acess to Crown , Dayton and Behringer ... i see that the magic of the buttkicker happens on 5hz till 40hz +- i think ... i read that many amps have a filter that dont let the amps go below 20hz ...??? will this xls 1502 or 2002 will be a good option ? will they go till 5hz with good power , or they have the filter blocking? or any one can recomend a better model , not noisy , easy to setup , with rca entrie , and maybe good dsp with delay option ?
Thanks very much , will apreciate very much all the help .

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The XLS 2002 is the better option. Has twice as many amplifier modules and filter capacitance of the XLS 1502. Should be capable of twice the instantaneous current.
There is DSP that will allow true low frequency output.

Top Bottom