• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Revel Salon2 questions

restorer-john

Major Contributor
Perhaps Revel as a brand simply doesn't sell enough speakers outside North America to justify continued investment in SOTA loudspeaker design and manufacture.

The brand is virtually unheard of in this country. It's hard to get, if at all in the UK, not sure about the EU, but it sure isn't good value anywhere outside the US. Considering most of the range comes out of low cost plants in Asia now, there is no excuse for more competitive price points.

It was a top tier research-based halo brand for Harman to hang their hat off. Now Harman is merely a small subsidiary of global giant Samsung. It may not survive in the long term and my bet is, unless they sell an absolute f#$k ton of their mid range, clearly very profitable speakers, in order to bankroll the small volume high end models, they will likely disappear altogether in the future.

The business case for a Salon 3 ground-up new design would be a very tough sell to (indirectly) Samsung IMO. I bet they have one, but it is on ice.

Last edited:

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The brand is virtually unheard of in this country. It's hard to get, if at all in the UK, not sure about the EU, but it sure isn't good value anywhere outside the US.
Also close to impossible to get and listen to in Germany which is EUs largest market, weirdly Harman opened though recently a "flagship store" in Munich which seems though rather to have the usual low cost BT products https://de.harmanaudio.com/munich-store.html

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we can't get ME Geithain here in the United States, so consider it even.
:D I hope you are kidding though comparing a giant like Samsung/Harman to the small family manufacture MEG. Weirdly you can get the low price Harman products everywhere here.

Mnyb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have Revel at some shops in Sweden but you have to travel and seek them out performa 3 F208 is between 64000:- sek and 67000:- sek pair including VAT wich is hoigh inSweden

The US price of 5000 USD would translate to 43500:- sek .

There are the usual price gouging for American hifi that always takes place in sweden due to oligopoly like importer situation . But it could be worse.
I've seen worse markups.

So yes an American can buy the F208 and we Swedes get the F206 for the same money.

Top Bottom