• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon2 questions

dehati_paul

Hi - I am thinking about upgrading my stereo audio setup (all because I spend too much time on ASR!) and need guidance from the experts. I have decided on Revel Salon2, and here are my questions -
1. Will I need a subwoofer to complete the range?
2. Will a pair of Benchmark AHB2 in bridged mono mode provide enough power to drive this?
3. Will this setup need any equalization (in that case will get rme adi-2 dac fs)?

Thanks in advance!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) If you are worried about a sub, I personally would suggest getting the F328Be and getting subs (if going with the wood color for either speaker, Salk makes custom cabinets using Rythmik kits, and could probably match the wood, or in whatever finish you want). By Spinorama only, the F328Be is a better speaker, but the Salon2 digs a bit deeper.

2) I think @DonH56 uses mono AHB2s with his Salon2s.

3) Below the room‘s transition frequency pretty much all speakers benefit. Especially if considering a sub, I would instead get the MiniDSP SHD which has Dirac and is also a streamer.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi - I am thinking about upgrading my stereo audio setup (all because I spend too much time on ASR!) and need guidance from the experts. I have decided on Revel Salon2, and here are my questions -
2. Will a pair of Benchmark AHB2 in bridged mono mode provide enough power to drive this?
3. Will this setup need any equalization (in that case will get rme adi-2 dac fs)?

Thanks in advance!
1. I’d recommend two subs to maximize the systems potential. I use 2 with my Salon 2
2. Yes a pair of bridged AHB2s supply more than enough power. one is enough for me but I use 2
3. Yes, a Mini DSP SHD studio and two dacs of your choice or one multichannel dac will work great.

take a look at my system , it’s similar to what you are planning
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chasing-sinad.17420/

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance!
1. Not really. Agree the Be plus subs is more sensible.
2. Certainly. Great choice.
3. It won't need it but it will be better with it.

OP
D

dehati_paul

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Mini DSP SHD studio didn't cross my mind, so I will add it to the list. @waynel - You setup rocks!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@RichB is using bridged AHB2's to drive his Salon2s. I an using cheap old Emotiva amps.

I, and folk I respect (like Dr. Toole), use subs with our Salon2's. Not only does it offload the deepest bass, making them cleaner over the rest of their range, but subs also add an octave in my setup and most importantly allow you to optimize the bass response independent of the position of the main speakers. It is rare that the best place for the mains for imaging and such is also the best place for the subs.

Bridged or not depends upon how far you are from them and how loudly you listen. I would suggest starting with one and seeing if that is enough. The AHB2 has a very sophisticated clipping circuit so you will be able to tell if you are exceeding the capabilities of the amp.

A very rough estimate of the power you might need can be obtained via an online SPL calculator: _Peak SPL Calculator

80 dB is loud to me but YMMV.

EQ depends upon the room and your taste. I have always used some sort of EQ/room correction with mine.

HTH - Don

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the great advice everyone! Mini DSP SHD studio didn't cross my mind, so I will add it to the list. @waynel - You setup rocks!
Thanks , the regular miniDSP SHD is a good idea too if you don’t want to mess with separate DACs.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
I’m actually in the exact same situation looking at the Salon 2 + either one or two Rhythmik E15HP2. I already have an AHB2 but will add another if need be.

My local dealer says July is the earliest they can get the Salon 2 but can have the F32be in May. To further complicate matters the Salon 3 rumors just won’t go away. Decisons, decisions!

OP
D

dehati_paul

Thanks , the regular miniDSP SHD is a good idea too if you don’t want to mess with separate DACs.

The only question that I will have to figure out if miniDSP SHD + separate DACs will play DSDs (have a lot of them in my local NAS, that I can play through volumio)

OP
D

dehati_paul

I’m actually in the exact same situation looking at the Salon 2 + either one or two Rhythmik E15HP2. I already have an AHB2 but will add another if need be.

My local dealer says July is the earliest they can get the Salon 2 but can have the F32be in May. To further complicate matters the Salon 3 rumors just won’t go away. Decisons, decisions!

Salon 3 rumors have been out there for a long time. I can't hold my breath any longer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Salon 3 rumors have been out there for a long time. I can't hold my breath any longer

You know what will happen, as soon as you buy a pair, the new ones will be announced. If you hold back, Salon 3s will never happen. Murphy will get you, no matter what.

Life is too short. Buy the speakers you want now.

nerdoldnerdith

I wouldn't be surprised if the Salon3/Ultima3 never happens. Harman was purchased by Samsung a few years ago, and all of the offerings brought to the market since then evince a more aggressive approach to put profit over engineering. The Salon2 was a cost-no-object loudspeaker designed to be the best thing Revel engineers could produce after already spending millions on research. Such a philosophy doesn't work with a large corporation like Samsung. After all, this is a company that tries to pass off their cheap shoddy LCD's as worthy competitors to OLED's and even prices them significantly higher to boot.

Thanks in advance!

1. No. My Salon2's already have incredible full-range bass. It would be pretty difficult finding subwoofers that do a better job, let alone integrating them.
2. Yes, but it is overkill. They are insensitive speakers. The Benchmark has levels of noise and distortion well below what would be audible with them. Save the money can get something like a Purifi 1ET400A based amplifier.
3. I personally prefer the unequalized sound I get from mine, but that may just be the room correction I am using. EQing the bass with something like a MiniDSP will probably yield better results, as it would with any full-range speaker.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
1. I’d recommend two subs to maximize the systems potential. I use 2 with my Salon 2
2. Yes a pair of bridged AHB2s supply more than enough power. one is enough for me but I use 2
3. Yes, a Mini DSP SHD studio and two dacs of your choice or one multichannel dac will work great.

take a look at my system , it’s similar to what you are planning
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chasing-sinad.17420/

I noticed you’re running a pair of F113v2 with your Salons, how do they compare with your E15HP2s? I had initially penciled in the F113v2 but changed to the Rythmiks after some research. Should I reconsider? Thanks.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed you’re running a pair of F113v2 with your Salons, how do they compare with your E15HP2s? I had initially penciled in the F113v2 but changed to the Rythmiks after some research. Should I reconsider? Thanks.
No, Rythmiks are fine. I have an E15HP2 in my other system. The JLs have more output for the size but the Rythmiks are better for the money.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I use a pair of Salk Sound (customer cabinet) E22s for LFE. These work extremely well in that they are felt rather than heard most of the time. The E22 has a smaller footprint and taller look that matches the Salon2s. Here are the response of the dual subs with on-board phase adjustments:
Dual Subs Sub Phase Only No Smoothing.jpg

LFE goes up to 150Hz, dual subs has eliminated localization as well.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance!

1. Is suppose that depends on your music listening tastes. For 2-channel I use Roon, Oppo UDP0205 DAC, Benchmark LA4, AHB2 (b-amped). With Room gain, music should not be an issue without subs but @DonH56 makes a good point on offloading your speakers.

2. I bi-amp the Salon2s and have the option to bridge but I don't clip them at my listening levels. Even with HT loud, they are not clipping so I don't. I have one friend who also bi-amps the Salon2s and another that bridges, mostly for demoing to friends :)
During tests I can get the clip indicators to light. The AHB2s apparently have no trouble delivering current so they will voltage clip.
Benchmark has published a paper to compute the volume before voltage clipping. I used that compute the 106 dB for the Salon2s:
VoltageCalculation.jpg

I made measurements at 2.83 volt at my 11' listening position of 86 dB (including room gain) and that came out between 104 dB (128 watts) and 107 dB (256) watts.

3. Equalization helps room modes. I don't use it currently but have the option. At some point, I 'll try it and also offload to the subwoofers. At also have a SHD for my Office system but it is the new hardware and Roon Endpoint is glitch, Roon ready is not certified, so this is a work in progress. I have done some A/B comparisons to the UPD-205 with no EQ and the 205 seems a bit more open on the top end. There is nothing measured by ASR that would support this, but it is a newer hardware platform.

- Rich

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance!
1) I had subs with my salons but i would suggest waiting to purchase and listen in your room to see if they are needed
2) Yes
3) I preferred them with equalization. Whether it be RME or some other device/method, the availability of equalization can help dramatically with your setup if not perfect (what setup is?) and i would recommend.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

jonfitch

The thing is, I wonder why Revel doesn't put some modified PerformaBE drivers in Ultima2 cabs in a refresh. As I recall the Ultima2 used the same drivers as the JBL PT series outside of the beryllium tweeters, and many of the speakers had the same driver arrangements but without the curved cabinet.

(aka JBL PT800 vs Revel Gem2).

Top Bottom