• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People integrate subwoofer pairs placed around the room with main speakers all the time, by adjusting the combined delay of both subs to get the smoothest crossover. That will always produce a better, more complete system than forgoing carefully-placed subs to eliminate room mode issues in the listening area.

The only viable alternative is to run your bass under the mains but within inches of the front wall to eliminate SBIR. It isn't perfect, though, as they will always be some distance from some boundary (side walls, ceiling), and you need certain room dimensions to get a good result. We should be doing this with main speakers anyway, as the physics apply to any bass source – both speakers and subwoofers – as neither will perform well if there is any distance to create interference.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree, one sub placed away from the speakers will become audible when crossed over above 40-50 hz.
You need more subs and you always need the fronts to play at the same time so that the directional ques will come from the higher frequencies played by the fronts. Otherwise you will hear where the subs are because there's no brick-wall crossover filter.
Nice looking setup. I disagree with this, though. There is a placement that avoids this issue. If your room is rectangular and you aren't sitting against the back wall (if you are, move them seats!): employ a center-wall placement, both front and back. Right against the walls, drawing a line down the center of the room through your seat. You just hear bass, but you can't determine a location. It's just in the air all around you and under you :cool:. It nicely helps with a lot of modes, too. This was in fact the same conclusion described by Floyd Toole and was the top placement for smoothing bass response.

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just add more subs.

Not to mention the fact that full-range speakers would also need to be spaced less than λ/4, for every frequency in the room-mode range (say below 200 Hz -- whoops, λ/4 is now only 0.4m), so it is not really a sub vs full-range argument. In fact, maybe it is actually nothing more than another point in favour of multiple bass sources, and the freedom to place them where needed for best overall compromise result. That means satellites and add more subs, oh no! :)

cheers

It isn't the separation distance between the two sources that directly matters. It is the difference in the distance from the listener to one source vs. the distance from the listener to the other source. Although the closer together the two stereo speakers are, the higher the frequency at which destructive interference will start to occur, for a given listening position. This of course is why the two stereo speakers should be kept reasonably close together, relative to the distance from either speaker to the listener. In a typical listening room and with the separation that most people seem to like, one speaker is probably several feet closer than than the other for most locations within the listening room, which means that the comb filtering effect comes into play somewhere in the midrange. Yet, almost no one seems to be bothered by it.

When you write something like, " ... it is not really a sub vs. full-range argument.", I don't really know what you mean. The use of the word "it" is often a red flag indicating that something that was written is not logically cohesive. As best as I can guess, you seem to be saying that since phase cancellation issues apply in most any stereo setup, that the related concern in the subwoofer/main speaker interface isn't any different and is of no concern. But the two concerns are very different notwithstanding that both revolve around phase cancellation between two or more different sources. One of the two concerns is with a comb filtering effect that doesn't seem to bother anyone, and that would have brought stereo to an early end more than fifty years ago if people noticed this effect and were bothered by it. With respect to the subwoofer/main speaker interface, coherency is needed in order for the total acoustic output to sum flat throughout the crossover region and match the output level below and above the crossover region. Two very different effects, notwithstanding that destructive interference is a sort of common denominator.

To put it more succinctly, it does not logically follow, from the fact that comb filtering occurs when two stereo speakers are not equidistant from the listener, that it doesn't matter whether the acoustic outputs of the subwoofers and the main speakers sum flat.

Newman

Major Contributor
OK given I misread and his words "Subs should ideally not be further away than..." need to be interpreted as talking about the sub-to-listener path length difference -- then it's not a high bar to cross, to the point of being generally irrelevant for most typical sub layout schemes. No biggie.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice looking setup. I disagree with this, though. There is a placement that avoids this issue. If your room is rectangular and you aren't sitting against the back wall (if you are, move them seats!): employ a center-wall placement, both front and back. Right against the walls, drawing a line down the center of the room through your seat. You just hear bass, but you can't determine a location. It's just in the air all around you and under you :cool:. It nicely helps with a lot of modes, too. This was in fact the same conclusion described by Floyd Toole and was the top placement for smoothing bass response.

I think he may just be referring to one sub. 50-60Hz seems a bit low for localization, but it could be true. I don't have sufficient experience with that to argue against it.

I do know that a few years ago(when I was originally setting up my subs), I setup a crossover blind listening test with myself and 4 friends. We tested crossovers all the way from full range(none) to 150Hz. The goal of the test was to find the crossover setting that sounded the best, but we also had a bit of fun seeing if we could localize the subs. No one that tried was able to localize the subs, even with a 150Hz crossover. This is mostly inline with the research I'm aware of, but it does seem like one of those things that could be invalidated with the perfect source material. Sub placement was midwall front and back. This was with 2 subs though, so I could imagine where it would be easier with just 1. I know that in my office setup(with 4 smaller corner subs) it's even more difficult to localize. It sounds like the bass is coming from inside your head.

If you haven't done a test like that, I would definitely recommend it. It's a free way to potentially make your system much better, and this was what happened with my system. I had been running an 80Hz crossover, but everyone in the test agreed that 100Hz and 120Hz sounded quite a bit better than 80Hz(and way better than anything below that). Nobody could hear the difference between 100Hz and 120Hz, though, so I went with 100Hz; crossing 160lb tower speakers over at 120Hz just felt wrong, even if it sounded just as good.

KaiserSoze

People integrate subwoofer pairs placed around the room with main speakers all the time, by adjusting the combined delay of both subs to get the smoothest crossover. That will always produce a better, more complete system than forgoing carefully-placed subs to eliminate room mode issues in the listening area.

The only viable alternative is to run your bass under the mains but within inches of the front wall to eliminate SBIR. It isn't perfect, though, as they will always be some distance from some boundary (side walls, ceiling), and you need certain room dimensions to get a good result. We should be doing this with main speakers anyway, as the physics apply to any bass source – both speakers and subwoofers – as neither will perform well if there is any distance to create interference.

"...by adjusting the combined delay of both subs to get the smoothest crossover..."

I don't know what you mean by the "combined delay of both subs". Potentially, if you identify a specific listener position, you could introduce delay into the subs, generally a different amount for each sub, so that the wavefronts from the subs with will coherent with the wavefronts from the main speakers. It seems to me that while this is similar to adjusting the phase of a subwoofer positioned in the front close to the stereo speakers, it isn't exactly the same in effect. When you adjust the phase of a subwoofer positioned in the front close to the main speakers, you are correcting a phase offset introduced by the crossovers. You will no doubt correct me if I misunderstand, but it seems to me that what you're talking about is a fix that only really works for listeners seated within a small region somewhere in the room, the actual size of which will depend on the particulars, but regardless it would not apply to the entire room.

KaiserSoze

... No one that tried was able to localize the subs, even with a 150Hz crossover. ... This was with 2 subs though, so I could imagine where it would be easier with just 1.

I'm not at all certain but will hazard a guess that the reason you could not identify the sub location with the crossover at 150 Hz was because there were two of them. If so, this is a useful thing to know. However even with this I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the main speakers could still be letting you know that all that bass isn't coming from them. Since you couldn't identify the location of the subwoofers, an illusory effect that should have been in effect is the effect whereby your brain autonomously decides that the bass is coming from the stereo speakers. I've experienced this on multiple occasions, so I know that it is a real effect that applies with good subwoofer integration.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"...by adjusting the combined delay of both subs to get the smoothest crossover..."

I don't know what you mean by the "combined delay of both subs". Potentially, if you identify a specific listener position, you could introduce delay into the subs, generally a different amount for each sub, so that the wavefronts from the subs with will coherent with the wavefronts from the main speakers. It seems to me that while this is similar to adjusting the phase of a subwoofer positioned in the front close to the stereo speakers, it isn't exactly the same in effect. When you adjust the phase of a subwoofer positioned in the front close to the main speakers, you are correcting a phase offset introduced by the crossovers. You will no doubt correct me if I misunderstand, but it seems to me that what you're talking about is a fix that only really works for listeners seated within a small region somewhere in the room, the actual size of which will depend on the particulars, but regardless it would not apply to the entire room.
Correct. The subs would first be aligned to each other, and you would be aligning the subs to the main speakers at the crossover for listeners in a primary seating area, whether that be one seat or two or three, depending how you did the setup and what EQ you are using. That means adjusting the delay of both subs by the same amount to maintain their alignment to each other but to merge them with the main speakers. This is usually done with subs + center or subs + LR. It isn't possible (as far as I know) to align them with all of the speakers in the room, so if you have surrounds, they will have to suffer a bit. That is usually acceptable, though.

Also, when I use the term "delay" I am speaking of a digital delay. Subs with a phase adjustment also alter delay but not linearly. A true delay is best. Subwoofers such as Rythmik and PSA have true delay controls on their amps, yet this is usually managed in the AVR. EQ such as Audyssey can align the subs automatically, but leaves the user to adjust the sub distance, or delay, of the pair to improve the crossover.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not at all certain but will hazard a guess that the reason you could not identify the sub location with the crossover at 150 Hz was because there were two of them. If so, this is a useful thing to know. However even with this I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the main speakers could still be letting you know that all that bass isn't coming from them. Since you couldn't identify the location of the subwoofers, an illusory effect that should have been in effect is the effect whereby your brain autonomously decides that the bass is coming from the stereo speakers. I've experienced this on multiple occasions, so I know that it is a real effect that applies with good subwoofer integration.
I have tried simulating this effect by lowering the crossover frequency, providing the response is good. Often times there is a null somewhere in the bass region of the mains, which the subs fill in. However my current setup is running my Buchardt S400's full-range near the front wall and EQ'd to flat, so SBIR is virtually eliminated. They extend to 25 Hz before dropping off sharply. I'm still not sure I'm getting a stereo bass effect. At least for frequencies under say 80 Hz, on the content I have, the bass seems to combine together. Maybe it's content-dependent. Above 80 Hz, sure, I think I'm getting at least directional cues and some nice punchy bass from the front. Maybe I'm not trained to listen for it.

I like the sensation that the bass is coming from all around me, especially from the floor. It helps when the floor is suspended such as on the 2nd floor of a house. It makes your 18 pound speakers sound like they weigh 180 lbs when that 35 Hz rumble rolls through. And it's greatly enhanced with subs.

KaiserSoze

Correct. The subs would first be aligned to each other, and you would be aligning the subs to the main speakers at the crossover for listeners in a primary seating area, ... Also, when I use the term "delay" I am speaking of a digital delay. Subs with a phase adjustment also alter delay but not linearly. ...

With respect to delay associated with a phase adjustment, you say that it isn't linear. Does this mean that the amount of delay is different for different frequency?

KaiserSoze

I have tried simulating this effect by lowering the crossover frequency, providing the response is good. Often times there is a null somewhere in the bass region of the mains, which the subs fill in. However my current setup is running my Buchardt S400's full-range near the front wall and EQ'd to flat, so SBIR is virtually eliminated. They extend to 25 Hz before dropping off sharply. I'm still not sure I'm getting a stereo bass effect. At least for frequencies under say 80 Hz, on the content I have, the bass seems to combine together. Maybe it's content-dependent. Above 80 Hz, sure, I think I'm getting at least directional cues and some nice punchy bass from the front. Maybe I'm not trained to listen for it.

I like the sensation that the bass is coming from all around me, especially from the floor. It helps when the floor is suspended such as on the 2nd floor of a house. It makes your 18 pound speakers sound like they weigh 180 lbs when that 35 Hz rumble rolls through. And it's greatly enhanced with subs.

The frequency at which the stereo effect vanishes and a tone emitted by one speaker will sound as though it is coming from both (or neither) will likely depend on how far apart they are and on how close to them you are. To find this frequency point, you should ideally be between them or close, and switching quickly between the two channels, playing only one at a time. Do this and gradually low the frequency until eventually you can't tell which speaker is playing. I'm not at all sure, but my guess is that you would get below 150 Hz before you would no longer be able to tell which speaker is playing the tone. If you have nothing better to do and decide to spend a little time to do this experiment, I will be curious to know what the frequency is where you absolutely cannot tell which speaker is playing the tone. While playing the tone, you have to try not to let your ear move closer to or further from the speaker, because then the change in volume will tip you off, and this will not be a realistic test if you are sitting very close to the speakers.

JustIntonation

About the 1/4 distance of the sub to speaker placement I was talking about the power response and the cancellation axis of the crossover.
We get a full cancellation at 1/2 wavelength distance of the crossover freq. So if a sub crosses to a speaker at 80 Hz then if we place the sub 340 / 80 / 2 = 2.13m away from the woofer of the speaker then along the line between the sub and speaker woofer we get a cancellation / notch as the sub will be fully out of phase with the speaker woofer along that line. And at an angle half that we get a 6dB dip.
Since we're dealing with frequencies that reverberate around the room and not in a straight line but wrap around things and bounce off walls in all directions etc we get a dip in the power response with the width of the dip depending on the crossover slope.
So in a precise setup you'd want the center of the subwoofer driver to be no farther away than about 1m from the center of the speaker woofer when crossing at 80Hz in order to get an even power response / room response around the crossover freq. Usually this will also mean 2 subs 1 per speaker.
The above story is the same as the tweeter - midwoofer crossover dips we see in all Amir's measurements (other than the coaxials), those are already bad enough but the effect of this is much worse when it is in the bass frequencies like with a sub that is placed far away from the speaker.

KaiserSoze

About the 1/4 distance of the sub to speaker placement I was talking about the power response and the cancellation axis of the crossover.
We get a full cancellation at 1/2 wavelength distance of the crossover freq. So if a sub crosses to a speaker at 80 Hz then if we place the sub 340 / 80 / 2 = 2.13m away from the woofer of the speaker then along the line between the sub and speaker woofer we get a cancellation / notch as the sub will be fully out of phase with the speaker woofer along that line. And at an angle half that we get a 6dB dip.
Since we're dealing with frequencies that reverberate around the room and not in a straight line but wrap around things and bounce off walls in all directions etc we get a dip in the power response with the width of the dip depending on the crossover slope.
So in a precise setup you'd want the center of the subwoofer driver to be no farther away than about 1m from the center of the speaker woofer when crossing at 80Hz in order to get an even power response / room response around the crossover freq. Usually this will also mean 2 subs 1 per speaker.
The above story is the same as the tweeter - midwoofer crossover dips we see in all Amir's measurements (other than the coaxials), those are already bad enough but the effect of this is much worse when it is in the bass frequencies like with a sub that is placed far away from the speaker.

I need to understand this better in the more ordinary context of an in-speaker crossover before I try to comprehend it in the context of the subwoofer-woofer interface. And this is something that I have been curious about but haven't thus far thought about it enough to figure it out. If two drivers (e.g. midrange and tweeter) sum flat on-axis, then in the off-axis lateral response there will be a dip at the midpoint of the crossover. This is apparent in many of the measurements, but I do not have an exact understanding of why it happens. It seems to me that while the laterally off-axis response of each driver is weaker compared to its on-axis response, in the vicinity of that crossover point, that the shape of the rolloff should be the same in the lateral off-axis response as it is in the on-axis response. I'm not entirely sure of this, but it seems to me that it should be true, because if at a given lateral angle SPL is down by (for example) 6 dB, the -6 dB value would apply uniformly such that the shape of the rolloff will be preserved. But if so I don't know how the off-axis dip is explained, because if the shape is preserved then the amount of phase shift at each frequency should also be preserved, in which case the out-of-phase cancellation should be the same off-axis as it is on-axis. But this is not consistent with what is evident in the response graphs. There has to be stronger phase change in the off-axis response vs. the on-axis response, which means that the shape of the rolloff has to be different in the off-axis response compared to the on-axis response. But why? Do you know of any good on-line explanations of this effect?

JustIntonation

I need to understand this better in the more ordinary context of an in-speaker crossover before I try to comprehend it in the context of the subwoofer-woofer interface. And this is something that I have been curious about but haven't thus far thought about it enough to figure it out. If two drivers (e.g. midrange and tweeter) sum flat on-axis, then in the off-axis lateral response there will be a dip at the midpoint of the crossover. This is apparent in many of the measurements, but I do not have an exact understanding of why it happens. It seems to me that while the laterally off-axis response of each driver is weaker compared to its on-axis response, in the vicinity of that crossover point, that the shape of the rolloff should be the same in the lateral off-axis response as it is in the on-axis response. I'm not entirely sure of this, but it seems to me that it should be true, because if at a given lateral angle SPL is down by (for example) 6 dB, the -6 dB value would apply uniformly such that the shape of the rolloff will be preserved. But if so I don't know how the off-axis dip is explained, because if the shape is preserved then the amount of phase shift at each frequency should also be preserved, in which case the out-of-phase cancellation should be the same off-axis as it is on-axis. But this is not consistent with what is evident in the response graphs. There has to be stronger phase change in the off-axis response vs. the on-axis response, which means that the shape of the rolloff has to be different in the off-axis response compared to the on-axis response. But why? Do you know of any good on-line explanations of this effect?
Yes, it's not due to the fr shape of the individual drivers at all. It is simply a phase shift of one driver relative to the next one because of the time difference.
Take one driver making a 85Hz sine, and take another driver making a 85Hz sine, both equally loud. If one driver is about 2 meter to the side of the other driver but the same distance to the listener, let say both drivers are 4m from the listener, the the two drivers / sines are perfectly in phase relative to the listener so they add up making the resulting sine 6dB louder.
Now if we move to the side of both speakers, the relative distance changes. Let's say we are now 3 meters from driver 1 and 5 meters from driver 2. Both drivers are still playing the same sine, but now the sine from speaker 1 arrives before the sine from speaker 2. And in this case the sine from speaker 2 arrives about 1 second / (340m / 2m) = about 6ms later. If the frequency was 340m / 2m = 170 Hz then the sine would be a full wavelength later so be in phase. But the frequency is half this, 85Hz, so the sine that arrives later from driver 2 is exactly out of phase with the earlier sine from driver 1. So they cancel out (well, they would if they didn't have an SPL difference, but even in this example they mostly cancel out).
So you were thinking too difficult (minimum phase logic only works when time is not involved, like in this example or like with reflections etc), but this is the most easy thing :)

KaiserSoze

Yes, it's not due to the fr shape of the individual drivers at all. It is simply a phase shift of one driver relative to the next one because of the time difference.
Take one driver making a 85Hz sine, and take another driver making a 85Hz sine, both equally loud. If one driver is about 2 meter to the side of the other driver but the same distance to the listener, let say both drivers are 4m from the listener, the the two drivers / sines are perfectly in phase relative to the listener so they add up making the resulting sine 6dB louder.
Now if we move to the side of both speakers, the relative distance changes. Let's say we are now 3 meters from driver 1 and 5 meters from driver 2. Both drivers are still playing the same sine, but now the sine from speaker 1 arrives before the sine from speaker 2. And in this case the sine from speaker 2 arrives about 1 second / (340m / 2m) = about 6ms later. If the frequency was 340m / 2m = 170 Hz then the sine would be a full wavelength later so be in phase. But the frequency is half this, 85Hz, so the sine that arrives later from driver 2 is exactly out of phase with the earlier sine from driver 1. So they cancel out (well, they would if they didn't have an SPL difference, but even in this example they mostly cancel out).
So you were thinking too difficult (minimum phase logic only works when time is not involved, like in this example or like with reflections etc), but this is the most easy thing :)

Okay, I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote, "I was talking about the power response and the cancellation axis of the crossover." You were talking about the locus of points where the two outputs are out of phase, analogous to the nulls that occur in the vertical polar response of a two-way speaker. In this case, both above the horizontal and below the horizontal there is a locus of points where the distance to one driver is greater by one-half wavelength than the distance to the other driver, with respect to a specific frequency. These loci, both above and below the horizontal, define the upper and lower boundaries of the main lobe for a given frequency.

So now let's see. At 80 Hz the wavelength is 4.29 m. A half-wavelength will be 2.14 m, so at all points that are 2.14 m closer to either the woofer or the subwoofer than to the other, an 80 Hz tone will vanish. We are on the same page, and you correctly pointed out that the dip at 80 Hz along this locus will not be total cancellation because of the many reflections and re-reflections from the walls. So most likely it will be a mild dip, unless you are so close to both the woofer and the subwoofer that the direct wave from each is highly dominant over the reflections. I'm not sure I followed the rest of it it, but I will note that cancellation additionally occurs, to varying degrees, for all frequencies at which both sources are making a significant contribution to the sound pressure. And the two wavefronts do not have to be exactly 180 degrees out of phase. This is what I thought you were alluding several posts back when you first mentioned 1/4 wavelength, i.e., that when the phase difference becomes as great as 90 degrees, the cancellation is strong enough to make a difference.

Several posts back you wrote, "So in a precise setup you'd want the center of the subwoofer driver to be no farther away than about 1m from the center of the speaker woofer when crossing at 80Hz in order to get an even power response / room response around the crossover freq." Perhaps this is a good estimate, but it isn't an exact thing, to my way of thinking, owing to the fact that the cancellation itself is not limited to the exact crossover frequency (although it is strongest there) and to the fact that it occurs to milder degrees for phase differences less severe than 180 degrees. But if you take 180 degrees and the exact crossover point as the worst case and figure out how close together the woofer and subwoofer should be, such that the nulls that define the main lobe will be adequately far apart, this works of course, and I suppose that this is what you did. But if I compare it to the problem of vertical separation of a woofer and tweeter in a two-way speaker, where the maximum allowed separation depends on the wavelength at the crossover point and also on the angular distance above and below the horizontal you require for the cancellation loci, i.e., the minimum allowed angular spacing between the two loci, it would seem that by analogy the maximum allowable spacing between the woofer and subwoofer will depend on what you choose for the angular width of the lobe, measured horizontally of course.

I want to say plainly that I do not take a position on which of the two concerns is the stronger concern. It seemed to me that it isn't possible to deal with both simultaneously and I pointed this out. The majority opinion here is clearly that mitigation of room modes is more important. Although it also occurs to me that room modes exist for all frequencies where 1/4 wavelength is shorter than the longest room dimension, i.e., the only wavelengths where standing waves don't set up are wavelengths more than four times greater than the greatest room dimension. Somewhere in the lower bass they start, and they don't stop once you've transitioned from the subwoofer to the woofer, or at any point. At 500 Hz the wavelength is about .7 meter, so if the distance between any two opposing walls is an exact integer multiple of .7/4 meters, there will be room modes for 500 Hz. I suppose there is a reason why this matters more with low bass than it does with higher frequency, but I need to think about this some more before I will have a good understanding of why.

One thing I'm still confused about, which is partly why I misunderstood what you meant before, is this:

"The above story is the same as the tweeter - midwoofer crossover dips we see in all Amir's measurements (other than the coaxials), those are already bad enough but the effect of this is much worse when it is in the bass frequencies like with a sub that is placed far away from the speaker."

This is what I was getting at, or trying to, a couple of posts back. I don't yet understand why it is that when two drivers' outputs sum flat in the on-axis response there is a strong dip at the crossover frequency in the off-axis response. This is probably one of those things that becomes obvious once you understand it, but at the present I'm still trying to understand exactly why this happens.

JustIntonation

Okay, I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote, "I was talking about the power response and the cancellation axis of the crossover." You were talking about the locus of points where the two outputs are out of phase, analogous to the nulls that occur in the vertical polar response of a two-way speaker. In this case, both above the horizontal and below the horizontal there is a locus of points where the distance to one driver is greater by one-half wavelength than the distance to the other driver, with respect to a specific frequency. These loci, both above and below the horizontal, define the upper and lower boundaries of the main lobe for a given frequency.

So now let's see. At 80 Hz the wavelength is 4.29 m. A half-wavelength will be 2.14 m, so at all points that are 2.14 m closer to either the woofer or the subwoofer than to the other, an 80 Hz tone will vanish. We are on the same page, and you correctly pointed out that the dip at 80 Hz along this locus will not be total cancellation because of the many reflections and re-reflections from the walls. So most likely it will be a mild dip, unless you are so close to both the woofer and the subwoofer that the direct wave from each is highly dominant over the reflections. I'm not sure I followed the rest of it it, but I will note that cancellation additionally occurs, to varying degrees, for all frequencies at which both sources are making a significant contribution to the sound pressure. And the two wavefronts do not have to be exactly 180 degrees out of phase. This is what I thought you were alluding several posts back when you first mentioned 1/4 wavelength, i.e., that when the phase difference becomes as great as 90 degrees, the cancellation is strong enough to make a difference.

Several posts back you wrote, "So in a precise setup you'd want the center of the subwoofer driver to be no farther away than about 1m from the center of the speaker woofer when crossing at 80Hz in order to get an even power response / room response around the crossover freq." Perhaps this is a good estimate, but it isn't an exact thing, to my way of thinking, owing to the fact that the cancellation itself is not limited to the exact crossover frequency (although it is strongest there) and to the fact that it occurs to milder degrees for phase differences less severe than 180 degrees. But if you take 180 degrees and the exact crossover point as the worst case and figure out how close together the woofer and subwoofer should be, such that the nulls that define the main lobe will be adequately far apart, this works of course, and I suppose that this is what you did. But if I compare it to the problem of vertical separation of a woofer and tweeter in a two-way speaker, where the maximum allowed separation depends on the wavelength at the crossover point and also on the angular distance above and below the horizontal you require for the cancellation loci, i.e., the minimum allowed angular spacing between the two loci, it would seem that by analogy the maximum allowable spacing between the woofer and subwoofer will depend on what you choose for the angular width of the lobe, measured horizontally of course.

I want to say plainly that I do not take a position on which of the two concerns is the stronger concern. It seemed to me that it isn't possible to deal with both simultaneously and I pointed this out. The majority opinion here is clearly that mitigation of room modes is more important. Although it also occurs to me that room modes exist for all frequencies where 1/4 wavelength is shorter than the longest room dimension, i.e., the only wavelengths where standing waves don't set up are wavelengths more than four times greater than the greatest room dimension. Somewhere in the lower bass they start, and they don't stop once you've transitioned from the subwoofer to the woofer, or at any point. At 500 Hz the wavelength is about .7 meter, so if the distance between any two opposing walls is an exact integer multiple of .7/4 meters, there will be room modes for 500 Hz. I suppose there is a reason why this matters more with low bass than it does with higher frequency, but I need to think about this some more before I will have a good understanding of why.

One thing I'm still confused about, which is partly why I misunderstood what you meant before, is this:

"The above story is the same as the tweeter - midwoofer crossover dips we see in all Amir's measurements (other than the coaxials), those are already bad enough but the effect of this is much worse when it is in the bass frequencies like with a sub that is placed far away from the speaker."

This is what I was getting at, or trying to, a couple of posts back. I don't yet understand why it is that when two drivers' outputs sum flat in the on-axis response there is a strong dip at the crossover frequency in the off-axis response. This is probably one of those things that becomes obvious once you understand it, but at the present I'm still trying to understand exactly why this happens.
Yes, room modes must be dealt with. But subwoofer placement and simply adding more subwoofers will not do the job well. If a room is left untreated and has strong modes then bass will be bad in my opinion.
When I said precise bass I meant really high quality bass. For this you must tackle modes with room treatment (big deep low AFr traps, big deep ceiling cloud etc etc.) That is the way to good bass. And then still placement matters, close to the front wall so the first reflection (which is diminished but still there in a treated front wall) does not give a cancellation in the bass. And keeping the subs close to the speakers as I described.
If you leave room modes as is and even if you then EQ the whole bass flat the modes will still totally mess up the bass as modes are a resonant thing in time based on reflections (it's not a minimum phase system at all when modes come into play). The bass can then measure flat with a sine sweep but still be very resonant and smeared in time. This is very very audible and bad for bass. There really is no subsitute for a somehwat big room with high ceiling and serious treatment. It's really a night and day difference, no comparison.

As for optimizing not so great bass in an untreated livingroom, I don't know what works best. But the result will never be real quality in my opinion.

Newman

Major Contributor
If you leave room modes as is and even if you then EQ the whole bass flat the modes will still totally mess up the bass as modes are a resonant thing in time based on reflections (it's not a minimum phase system at all when modes come into play).
Why not?
The bass can then measure flat with a sine sweep but still be very resonant and smeared in time. This is very very audible and bad for bass. There really is no subsitute for a somehwat big room with high ceiling and serious treatment. It's really a night and day difference, no comparison. As for optimizing not so great bass in an untreated livingroom, I don't know what works best. But the result will never be real quality in my opinion.

JustIntonation

Well, the way we usually treat a minimum phase system is when it behaves as a single minimum phase system.
When reflections come into play one should see this as another soundsource. So you could in a way still see it in minimum phase terms but with many different soundsources which individually act like minimum phase systems but the whole does not act like a single one.
So you can't apply minimum phase logic to the whole. You can't say if it measures flat (after EQ) it's not a resonant mess for instance, as it will be in an untreated room :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried to compare the IL10, the M106 and my own on axis response above 800 Hz with reference around 1 kHz. There are clear differences between the IL10 and M106, my own speakers are in-between, sort of.

IL10_M106_Mysp.png

Top Bottom