• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The curves are not at all the same, KEFs are not flat. 3db bump at 2 to 3khz is very audible. Also, the AVS test eliminated bass 80hz and below, so how is that helpful? There’s far more audible variation between speakers than between electronics. In my experience speaker preference is extremely hard on a A-B basis when comparing two competent options. Every song is different and all harsh notes are not heard in a 10 second clip.
That's why I have a stable of test tracks, including many that are spectrally dense. Typically the tonal nuances/biases I hear on a speaker are heard on nearly all tracks so prolonged A/B testing isn't needed unless two speakers are really close in sound which I don't think would occur that often.

MrHifiTunes

I look at measurements as a screening tool and a filter. Measurements keep me from wasting my time auditioning Zu Dirty Weekend speakers. When it gets down to a choice between LS 50's and M106's, it's going to very much depend on my personal preferences b/c both are competently designed speakers which measure well but not perfectly. So it will depend in that case on which trade offs I personally prefer, and my ears will give me that answer.
Good approach which I in general also apply. But then you don't have this kind of measurements of all the speakers. So maybe you miss out on your ideal speaker. It eliminates the bad ones...but doesn't select the good ones.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can follow you. I agree about the measurements in some degree. It is good to have a baseline and methology. This give some good indications. But in the end...which give me more correct information? The blind test or the measurements? Tricky...I dont know yet....'blind test can still be influenced by one preferences, measurements not. ..I still don't have the answer that's for sure :p
To be blunt: Random blind tests from some random pundit on the Internet are worthless.

MrHifiTunes

To be blunt: Random blind tests from some random pundit on the Internet are worthless.
Why you think that? same can be said about measurements then. You dont know the conditions those measurements are taken. Both have their value.

MrHifiTunes

In this case we do know the conditions of the measurements. They're NFS anechoic measurements.
how do you know if the correct distance used? is the correct level used? good alignment? calibrated microphone? etc... Everyone can make measurements....but good correct measurements asks some attention to details. (I'm talking about random measurements you find on internet...because MediumRare insinuate that random measurements are more reliable then random blind tests.)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how do you know if the correct distance used? is the correct level used? good alignment? calibrated microphone? etc... Everyone can make measurements....but good correct measurements asks some attention to details. (I'm talking about random measurements you find on internet...because MediumRare insinuate that random measurements are more reliable then random blind tests.)

The Klippel NFS is a a $100k+ state of the art measurement platform. It is as close to a reference for speaker measurement that exists at present.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's be clear. We're not talking about "random measurements", but regular, procedural measurements done at either the NRC of Canada's anechoic chamber, or some other anechoic chamber (Dynaudio has a very impressive one), or by using the Klippel machine. Done correctly and procedurally, all variables, bias, and human error are removed from the results so speakers are put on a level playing field.

MrHifiTunes

Let's be clear. We're not talking about "random measurements", but regular, procedural measurements done at either the NRC of Canada's anechoic chamber, or some other anechoic chamber (Dynaudio has a very impressive one), or by using the Klippel machine. Done correctly and procedurally, all variables, bias, and human error are removed from the results so speakers are put on a level playing field.
Ok, lets assume we only consider the good correct measurements out there...then you are limited even more in the speakers tested...and limted in your choices and we are back were we started. We don't have measurements on all speakers and we don't have blind or other reviews off all speakers. If we are lucky we have only one. So back to the base of the question, how do they balance out ...measuments vs blind reviews. If Amirm would only do a listing test and say the speaker is good...I'm pretty confident it will sound good and would be one I consider taken home to test it.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, lets assume we only consider the good correct measurements out there...then you are limited even more in the speakers tested...and limted in your choices and we are back were we started. We don't have measurements on all speakers and we don't have blind or other reviews off all speakers. If we are lucky we have only one. So back to the base of the question, how do they balance out ...measuments vs blind reviews. If Amirm would only do a listing test and say the speaker is good...I'm pretty confident it will sound good and would be one I consider taken home to test it.
Thank goodness. Spend some time here. Please. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, lets assume we only consider the good correct measurements out there...then you are limited even more in the speakers tested...and limted in your choices and we are back were we started. We don't have measurements on all speakers
The reason the measurements were undertaken here.

If Amirm would only do a listing test and say the speaker is good...I'm pretty confident it will sound good and would be one I consider taken home to test it.
That's not the spirit of the site. It's Audio Science Review, not Audio Subjectivist Review.

MrHifiTunes

The reason the measurements were undertaken here.

That's not the spirit of the site. It's Audio Science Review, not Audio Subjectivist Review.
I agree it's against the spirit of this site...just wanted to hear how people go through the process of selecting speakers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Amirm would only do a listing test and say the speaker is good...I'm pretty confident it will sound good and would be one I consider taken home to test it.
He does this, though. He listens to every speaker he reviews and tells us what he hears. Maybe I'm missing your point?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The list is very limited...Many speakers are difficult to get in Europe. It's very USA oriented I guess. German, Dutch, French, Italian, english and others never made this tests.
Now you’re just trolling. There are 140 speakers tested from all over the world. Why don’t you send in one to be tested? (I’ve sent 3).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The list is very limited...Many speakers are difficult to get in Europe. It's very USA oriented I guess. German, Dutch, French, Italian, english and others never made this tests.

Two of the most lauded brands on this forum(Genelec, Neumann) are Finnish and German respectively. But of course the US-based speaker tester is going to be limited by what can actually be shipped to him, lol. And you can buy JBLs in Europe as well very easily. That's just a few examples.

MrHifiTunes

He does this, though. He listens to every speaker he reviews and tells us what he hears. Maybe I'm missing your point?
My point is do people value it. I'm after how much evaluate, narrow down the speakers they want to audition. Measurement vs listen review... But seems we're going of topic. I do appreciate Amir listen review even if he would not measure one I can find myself in his "taste" . Eg KEF R3 which measure well but he didnt like. I also don't like KEF soundsignature.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eg KEF R3 which measure well but he didnt like.

You mean the speaker that proved listening tests aren't always reliable? :p

My point is do people value it. I'm after how much evaluate, narrow down the speakers they want to audition. Measurement vs listen review...

Yes, people put a lot of weight on Amir's listening tests and it produces a lot of arguments on what exactly he is hearing sometimes. Here's the problem: Of the two(measurements, listening tests) the measurements are the only thing that are repeatable and reliable. No, that doesn't mean the listening tests are useless, but a single human person simply is not capable of sighted evaluation without any bias, and there are always confounding factors, plus there ARE significant preference differences in certain aspects such as dispersion.

If it helps anyone, I owned LS50’s for several years, and purchased a pair of M105’s about a year ago. Had the chance to compare the two side by side, and no comparison for me; the M105 is the better speaker. I was worried the m105’s would sound dull and lifeless compared to the ls50’s, but have found the opposite to be true. Flattening the midrange bump means I get to hear more of everything when I turn up the volume, not just more midrange. Very pleasing when you’re trying to hear instruments in other frequencies.

Top Bottom