• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 90578
So got a chance to set this up today, and yeah the extra power of 1502 in bridge vs the smsl sa300 + sub makes big difference, still need to do more testing

Consider level matching with a voltmeter. If there is more gain bridged, louder will sound better.

- Rich

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did those mounts work out for you?
Really good. I used three 5/8" screws on the bottoms and I think it will do the trick. The M105s are deceptively large for wall-mounting but since I have high ceilings they will be ok and the mounts work well. I will get 2 more sets.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They're actually made in Indonesia lol

Yes, you're right!

1604909591899.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

vavan

seedragon

Forum Donor
Would it be a waste to use M105s as side surround speakers? I'm waiting for a pair of M16s intended for that duty to deliver, but they're probably a few weeks out because of limited supply. My dealer has offered me a deal on M105s to use instead, but I feel like if I got M105s, I'd want to use them as a stereo pair in a different room rather than "waste" them as surrounds--in which case I'd end up having to buy another pair of M16s for my surrounds.

I'm right to think it's worth waiting for the M16s instead of paying extra money to get the M105s now, right?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be a waste to use M105s as side surround speakers?
I'm right to think it's worth waiting for the M16s instead of paying extra money to get the M105s now, right?

As surrounds you'd be hard-pressed to hear any difference. That being said, the M105 is far more refined (https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/03/spinorama-data-revel-home.html) and, perhaps crucially for you, smaller than the M16, which is nearly 15" tall. So, a couple questions for you:

- Does size matter?
- Do you have a subwoofer?
- Are you getting a good deal on the M105s? If you DM me with the prices I might be able to introduce you to an authorized dealer with a better price that brings the M105s in line with the M16s.

seedragon

Forum Donor
As surrounds you'd be hard-pressed to hear any difference. That being said, the M105 is far more refined (https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/03/spinorama-data-revel-home.html) and, perhaps crucially for you, smaller than the M16, which is nearly 15" tall. So, a couple questions for you:

- Does size matter?
- Do you have a subwoofer?
- Are you getting a good deal on the M105s? If you DM me with the prices I might be able to introduce you to an authorized dealer with a better price that brings the M105s in line with the M16s.
Good point, hadn't considered the size issue. Size does matter but it looks like the M105 is only 6/8" shorter than the M16.

I have dual 15" ported subs that I cross over at 80 hz. I'll DM you with prices to see what you think.

Ausghostdog

1607743501011.png

Finally got a chance to set this up today to drive them, no longer using the smsl sa300, feel happier given them so much more power and holy hell can they sing when they are mono blocked.

The SMSL did not have enough power for these at all.

MrHifiTunes

How objective are speaker measurements? When I check the graphs on speakers there seems to go all over. Specially compared with measurements of DAC's. It seems that speakers no matter how good they are the show measuments far from ideaal which good DAC's measure very well, beyond what one can hear.
This REVEL M105 give better results as KEF LS50. Amirm didnt like the KEF much.
But when i read this review https://www.avsforum.com/threads/kef-ls50-vs-revel-m105.3055326/ That persoon seems to prefer the KEF over the REVEL. Why are these results so different? Is it personal taste? Is it difference in the chain? Is it the room and listing position? or ...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How objective are speaker measurements? When I check the graphs on speakers there seems to go all over. Specially compared with measurements of DAC's. It seems that speakers no matter how good they are the show measuments far from ideaal which good DAC's measure very well, beyond what one can hear.
But when i read this review https://www.avsforum.com/threads/kef-ls50-vs-revel-m105.3055326/ That persoon seems to prefer the KEF over the REVEL. Why are these results so different? Is it personal taste? Is it difference in the chain? Is it the room and listing position? or ...

I would say personal taste & room/listening position. Differences in the chain are too subtle to change anything, except perhaps if one speaker is bright and the amp has a roll-off above 5 kHz or so.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The curves are not at all the same, KEFs are not flat. 3db bump at 2 to 3khz is very audible. Also, the AVS test eliminated bass 80hz and below, so how is that helpful? There’s far more audible variation between speakers than between electronics. In my experience speaker preference is extremely hard on a A-B basis when comparing two competent options. Every song is different and all harsh notes are not heard in a 10 second clip.

Haint

It's very likely the 2-way Revel picks up some nasty coffee table "floor" bounce due to the placement in his test while the concentric KEF is un or less affected. A tabletop stand in the middle of a coffee table is perhaps a worst case test scenario. The woofers and tweeter are at different heights (again on a highly reflective surface) then you have differences in directivivity and dispersion. The LS50 is itself not a bad speaker at all, KEF follows the same linear design principles as Revel/Harman so they're not just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say personal taste & room/listening position. Differences in the chain are too subtle to change anything, except perhaps if one speaker is bright and the amp has a roll-off above 5 kHz or so.
Exactly, room acoustics, placement, listening distance and recordings all can play a significant role whether dark or bright tonality and whether wider and more diffuse or closer and preciser imaging is preferred.
Here is another similar comparison of M106 and LS50 https://www.stereophile.com/content/tale-two-speakers

Coffee_fan

How objective are speaker measurements? ...
My take without going into specifics is that it's hard to assess how "objective" things are, but it's way better to have some metrics than none. Metrics give you a clear baseline and from there you can start a discussion around other aspects. Amir uses the Klippel method, which is a proven method to isolate box speaker response as precisely as possible. What is proven in this context? That it was developed over a long time by expert practitioners in the subject, using their best judgement and a method that has repeatable science in it.

So summing up: Are the measurements perfect in objective terms? Probably not, but way better than pure opinion based arguments IMO (to be redundant). :).

MrHifiTunes

My take without going into specifics is that it's hard to assess how "objective" things are, but it's way better to have some metrics than none. Metrics give you a clear baseline and from there you can start a discussion around other aspects. Amir uses the Klippel method, which is a proven method to isolate box speaker response as precisely as possible. What is proven in this context? That it was developed over a long time by expert practitioners in the subject, using their best judgement and a method that has repeatable science in it.

So summing up: Are the measurements perfect in objective terms? Probably not, but way better than pure opinion based arguments IMO (to be redundant). :).
I can follow you. I agree about the measurements in some degree. It is good to have a baseline and methology. This give some good indications. But in the end...which give me more correct information? The blind test or the measurements? Tricky...I dont know yet....'blind test can still be influenced by one preferences, measurements not. They are what they are (although now I think about it...maybe they are not consistent. one can not tell if you measure only 1 speaker) ) But if that reviewer describe his/her preference then I know also where I stand as I can match them against my preferences. I still don't have the answer that's for sure :p

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look at measurements as a screening tool and a filter. Measurements keep me from wasting my time auditioning Zu Dirty Weekend speakers. When it gets down to a choice between LS 50's and M106's, it's going to very much depend on my personal preferences b/c both are competently designed speakers which measure well but not perfectly. So it will depend in that case on which trade offs I personally prefer, and my ears will give me that answer.

Top Bottom