• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a pair of KEF iQ3 with what?

Golf

Need to replace my some 15 years old KEF iQ3 speakers. They are part of a stereo set, powered by a DENON PMA-1600 NE, placed in a wooden bookshelf inside a 16 m² room.

I would want to approximately keep their size and weight. What I like about their audio performance is the crispness and the detail in midst and high frequencies, while I would be pleased if their successors would show a bit more precision in the lower frequencies.

I was thinking about the DALI Spektor 2 for a while, but that one seems to be designed to be part of a multi-channel system in the first place.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
I would try to improve them first.

Crossover components or/and a new crossover (by system7)
Viscoelastic material / alubutyl / bitumen...

Attachments

• KEF_iQ30_4.7uf_0.3mH_2ndOrder.JPG
    KEF_iQ30_4.7uf_0.3mH_2ndOrder.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 125
  • KEF_iQ30_modified_Crossover.JPG
    KEF_iQ30_modified_Crossover.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 166

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Need to replace my some 15 years old KEF iQ3 speakers. They are part of a stereo set, powered by a DENON PMA-1600 NE, placed in a wooden bookshelf inside a 16 m² room.

I would want to approximately keep their size and weight. What I like about their audio performance is the crispness and the detail in midst and high frequencies, while I would be pleased if their successors would show a bit more precision in the lower frequencies.

I was thinking about the DALI Spektor 2 for a while, but that one seems to be designed to be part of a multi-channel system in the first place.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Budget?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I would try to improve them first.

Crossover components or/and a new crossover (by system7)
Viscoelastic material / alubutyl / bitumen...

Not worth it. The current generation of KEF speakers have far more evolved cones, tweeters and a waveguide.

maty

Major Contributor
Not worth it. The current generation of KEF speakers have far more evolved cones, tweeters and a waveguide.

Few speakers offer so much potential for sound improvement, since the starting point is very good but...

Attachments

• pcb top.jpg
    pcb top.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 88
  • pcb top2.jpg
    pcb top2.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 88

Vacceo

Major Contributor
No crossover improvement will get you better directivity or dynamic range.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You can try to find the Kef R3 non-meta. You'll get a lot more refined experience that what you're using.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not think it is the smartest move to buy new speakers for €400 (if you have KEF iQ3), but it is not my decision.

- The End -
It's useful to tell the facts. OP might be OK spending money just to spend money, but I'm sure there are a few iQ3 owners that aren't.

For me the worst possible outcome is to buy something that ends up to provide the same performance as the old equipment. Now you are short some some money that could have been used for actual upgrade later on and have useless piece of equipment.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I believe my KEFs were around 400 Euros at the time of purchase. I’d like stay below that with new ones.
That isn’t much to work with nowadays after 15years of inflation. KEFR3 (non-meta) are being discontinued and are a real steal but still twice your budget. Given your budget I would recommend to stick with your current speakers as you might end up with worse. Wait and safe up some more or look if you can get R3s used, but I doubt at 400EUR. And no I wouldn’t go with Q150, but rather keep your old ones. Good luck.

OP
Golf

Golf

rather keep your old ones
I’m considering replacement for a reason: One of the units has been toppled off its stand a while ago, and exactly that unit was the one, my cute little granddaughter chose to poke a nice dent into the uncovered driver cone just last week.

I think I will re-run my room-EQ system. Maybe it is able of compensate any disadvantages caused by the dented driver cone.

Besides: Checking and comparing specs I realized that I wasn’t aware that my KEF iQ3 is said to have a 16 inch/165 mm Uni-Q driver. A quick ruler measuring seems to show only 130 mm instead. Strange ...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I’m considering replacement for a reason: One of the units has been toppled off its stand a while ago, and exactly that unit was the one, my cute little granddaughter chose to poke a nice dent into the uncovered driver cone just last week.

I think I will re-run my room-EQ system. Maybe it is able of compensate any disadvantages caused by the dented driver cone.

Besides: Checking and comparing specs I realized that I wasn’t aware that my KEF iQ3 is said to have a 16 inch/165 mm Uni-Q driver. A quick ruler measuring seems to show only 130 mm instead. Strange ...
I understand. I guess the best bet would be to look for a single iQ3 in the used market to replace the damaged one.

Top Bottom