• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend tall non-adjustable monitor stand

voltronic

I recently upgraded to a pair of Kali IN-5, and my adjustable On-Stage stands are no longer cutting it. The status wobble with the larger monitors on them, and the bass response is revealing how resonant they are. When listening to pipe organ music at louder levels, the safety pins buzz all over the place.

Part of this might be that I had to remove my Auralex MoPads used with my previous monitors in order to have the tweeters at a similar height, since the stands are already at their lowest setting. So these resonance stands are going to conduct more vibrations anyway.

Either way, I need something sturdier. What I'm looking for is a single column stand 37" high that I can put right next to the edges of my desk and angle the top plate 30 degrees. I can't really angle the whole stand because the PC tower sits all the way left. This would mean I would have to widen the monitors further, which I don't want to do. See attached picture of my current setup.

I looked at a couple of the hollow wooden studs but none looked great to me. Here are the two metal ones I'm considering so far:

Rockville RS37B 37" https://a.co/d/8S9wubG
- These look like they're made out of the same thin steel as my current stands, but they are the correct height and I can fill the columns with sand or other fill in plastic bags.

Kanto ST34 34” https://a.co/d/2rzIXdO
- These look higher quality in every way, but are 3 inches shorter. I would use my Auralex pads which would make up 2 inches, and set slightly lower if necessary. I'm not sure if I can attach the top plate at an angle (although it looks like it has just a single hex bolt). These could probably be filled also if the bottom hole could be sealed, but I would imagine they are much less resonant to start with.

Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• blur1710380575354.jpg
    blur1710380575354.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 50

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Search amazon for "Monitor Riser" and you'll see a bunch in different sizes. I don't know why but there's so many listed under that keyword. If you want really high quality, Etsy has hand made ones and they're just a cut above anything machine made in a factory. Monoprice has these media shelves on a big discount sale if the look is what you want. The shelves are removable and can be drilled for custom routing cables.

OP
voltronic

voltronic

Search amazon for "Monitor Riser" and you'll see a bunch in different sizes. I don't know why but there's so many listed under that keyword. If you want really high quality, Etsy has hand made ones and they're just a cut above anything machine made in a factory. Monoprice has these media shelves on a big discount sale if the look is what you want. The shelves are removable and can be drilled for custom routing cables.
Thanks, but everything you are pointing me towards is for the visual kind of monitors. That's not what I'm looking for.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

These are pretty good for the price. They are made in China and the paint job is mediocre but the stability and design are good.

OP
voltronic

voltronic

These are pretty good for the price. They are made in China and the paint job is mediocre but the stability and design are good.
I had looked at those, but way more than I'd like to spend.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had looked at those, but way more than I'd like to spend.
Amazon had them through a third party at a pretty hefty discount, but if that’s still too expensive, I would check out Sweetwater for various 36” tall stands. If it doesn’t need to look nice, there are other options that are cheaper with the right height.

HoweSound

I recently upgraded to a pair of Kali IN-5, and my adjustable On-Stage stands are no longer cutting it. The status wobble with the larger monitors on them, and the bass response is revealing how resonant they are. When listening to pipe organ music at louder levels, the safety pins buzz all over the place.

Part of this might be that I had to remove my Auralex MoPads used with my previous monitors in order to have the tweeters at a similar height, since the stands are already at their lowest setting. So these resonance stands are going to conduct more vibrations anyway.

Either way, I need something sturdier. What I'm looking for is a single column stand 37" high that I can put right next to the edges of my desk and angle the top plate 30 degrees. I can't really angle the whole stand because the PC tower sits all the way left. This would mean I would have to widen the monitors further, which I don't want to do. See attached picture of my current setup.

I looked at a couple of the hollow wooden studs but none looked great to me. Here are the two metal ones I'm considering so far:

Rockville RS37B 37" https://a.co/d/8S9wubG
- These look like they're made out of the same thin steel as my current stands, but they are the correct height and I can fill the columns with sand or other fill in plastic bags.

Kanto ST34 34” https://a.co/d/2rzIXdO
- These look higher quality in every way, but are 3 inches shorter. I would use my Auralex pads which would make up 2 inches, and set slightly lower if necessary. I'm not sure if I can attach the top plate at an angle (although it looks like it has just a single hex bolt). These could probably be filled also if the bottom hole could be sealed, but I would imagine they are much less resonant to start with.

Any other recommendations?
I don't know where to get them, but the stands n this March Audio Sointuva thread look great:

OP
voltronic

voltronic

I think I found a good option. These are adjustable, but support a lot of weight so they must be pretty solid. Reviews on other sellers are very positive, but they seem to be cheapest direct from the manufacturer.

Top Bottom