• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend amp, dac, wifi streamer combo for outdoor speakers

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate sub-forum to post in.

I am going to place a pair of outdoor speakers on my patio, likely the Revel M80XC. However, I am open to alternate speakers. These have a recommended power supply of 80 W:

https://www.revelspeakers.com/products/series/series-extreme-climate/M80XC-.html?dwvar_M80XC-_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=series-extreme-climate

I am seeking recommendations for a two channel amp/dac/streamer solution for this outdoor setup.

I am thinking of options such as the SMSL AL200 + Wiim Mini or something similar.
I am also considering a MiniDSP Flex + Wiim + inexpensive purifi amp or similar.

I am not attached to these however. I am open to all options including used.

Needs:
Wireless control of streamer and volume via iPhone
Total cost well under $1000 excluding speakers.
Wants:
Would like ability for guests to connect via bluetooth to play their music but not required

Recommendations welcome, thank you!

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
First: i hope you put your stuff inside when not used, otherwise it won't last long.

I would use a Audiophonics DA-S125NC amp and a streamer of your likings like the Wiim Mini connected to the amp over optical. The amp is an other NCore build by Audiophoncs, combined with a digital input section and a great dac based on ESS chips. I know quiet a few who bought this amp and they are all very happy with it (mostly used over BT or USB altough). A review by Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phonics-da-s250nc-dac-power-amp-review.44379/

OP
C

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
First: i hope you put your stuff inside when not used, otherwise it won't last long.

I would use a Audiophonics DA-S125NC amp and a streamer of your likings like the Wiim Mini connected to the amp over optical. The amp is an other NCore build by Audiophoncs, combined with a digital input section and a great dac based on ESS chips. I know quiet a few who bought this amp and they are all very happy with it (mostly used over BT or USB altough). A review by Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phonics-da-s250nc-dac-power-amp-review.44379/

Absolutely, all gear minus outdoor speakers will be housed indoors, or possibly in a waterproof electronics box outdoors. House is wired with speaker cable from inside to outside where speakers will be mounted.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm open to it! Which would you recommend?
Sonos Amp is a specific product:

What you get is a lot of reliability, integration with everything streaming and lots of power.

Amir didn’t like the Line In performance but that’s really for a phono. For your use, you get a lot of reliability in a small box.

I have the WiiM Pro and I have Sonos gear. The Sonos iOS/Android app is way better.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, all gear minus outdoor speakers will be housed indoors, or possibly in a waterproof electronics box outdoors. House is wired with speaker cable from inside to outside where speakers will be mounted.
I'm currently in the process of closing on a new house. Will want to install similarly - cable going from inside to outside. I've seen wall plates that are used for this purpose, did you install yours yourself by any chance? From what I can tell all it takes is a big drill bit, a jigsaw, a few wires, some caulk, and poor judgment, but I'm keen on any tips folks might have on installing DIY-style.

As far as recs I think the SMSL looks good, the WiiM mini would take it over the top. The 80XC is pretty sensitive so you should be good without stepping up to a Purifi or Hypex amp. Sonos amp probably has a better app but price / watt will tend to be worse, and you will need Sonos gear everywhere you want to do multi-room streaming.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a used avr, can usually get those features for a good price in an older avr (at least doesn't seem you need all the latest/greatest features).

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+ inexpensive purifi amp or similar.
Ummm, ok. For outdoor listening? I live in a very remote place but nature is still louder than my indoor listening area at 42dB so I'm not terribly worried about SINAD on my deck.

I use an old AppleTV with audio out to a few TPA3116 based amps hooked to a speaker selector that is app controlled which allows me to control 2 indoor and 2 outdoor zones of audio individually all from my phone + it's also a Roon endpoint. The outdoor speakers are nothing special, Dayton I think but I get some pretty good bass gain with my 3' eves and one set of drivers mounted where the sidewall meets for boundary reinforcement.

By all means, purchase what you want! Just thinking out loud what you get for the $$$ in a system in a less than ideal environment.

OP
C

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
Ummm, ok. For outdoor listening? I live in a very remote place but nature is still louder than my indoor listening area at 42dB so I'm not terribly worried about SINAD on my deck.

I use an old AppleTV with audio out to a few TPA3116 based amps hooked to a speaker selector that is app controlled which allows me to control 2 indoor and 2 outdoor zones of audio individually all from my phone + it's also a Roon endpoint. The outdoor speakers are nothing special, Dayton I think but I get some pretty good bass gain with my 3' eves and one set of drivers mounted where the sidewall meets for boundary reinforcement.

By all means, purchase what you want! Just thinking out loud what you get for the $$$ in a system in a less than ideal environment.
I can enjoy music in a less than ideal listening environment, of course.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just having another look at those Fosi V3 amps. That's currently what I'm planning on getting for an outdoor setup. They do >80dB SINAD, integrated volume control, and they're dirt cheap for decent wattage. IMO unless you're doing unusually focused outdoor listening, or you are keen to pay a premium for reliability, hypex / purifi are probably overkill for an outdoor setup. One guy's opinion.

My idea for an outdoor setup (not far off from this one)

WiiM Mini -> MiniDSP 2x4 -> 2x Fosi V3 -> 4x JBL Control X* + 2x outdoor sub (Parts express?)

The yard is relatively tiny, but I want even coverage. :p

*Nominal 8ohm, anyone know if the Fosi would be happier with series or parallel?

Last edited:
OP
C

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor

This looks like a very good option, but the reports of high pitched whine from the OLED screen are concerning. Have you had the same issue?

OP
C

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
I'm currently in the process of closing on a new house. Will want to install similarly - cable going from inside to outside. I've seen wall plates that are used for this purpose, did you install yours yourself by any chance? From what I can tell all it takes is a big drill bit, a jigsaw, a few wires, some caulk, and poor judgment, but I'm keen on any tips folks might have on installing DIY-style.

As far as recs I think the SMSL looks good, the WiiM mini would take it over the top. The 80XC is pretty sensitive so you should be good without stepping up to a Purifi or Hypex amp. Sonos amp probably has a better app but price / watt will tend to be worse, and you will need Sonos gear everywhere you want to do multi-room streaming.
I am not installing myself, got an AV network guy to do it for me. I would mess it up I'm sure if I attempted myself.

I did buy the 80XC so just now deciding on the dac/amp/streamer setup.

Sonos looks tempting. Frankly I really like the WiiM experience; they update all the time, almost every other week it seems, adding new features. I own three total and no problems. Is Sonos really better?

MCH

Major Contributor
I have a rig outside in the terrace, but protected from rain. I went for the option "leave it all summer outside, so cheap enough that if it gets broken or stolen it doesn't matter much"
It consists on a raspberry pi zero 2w with picoreplayer as streamer + loxjie a30 amp (I listen at low volume - neighbors)

It is the 3rd summer and besides the cheapo AliExpress banana plugs that got some rust, the rest is like new.
I did solder a u.fl socket to the pi to have external antenna and the range and quality of the signal increased significantly (was having connection drops before)

I am overall very happy, I don't think I would like to have to unplug and bring the electronics inside every day but maybe that's me.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally, I use the B&W AM-1 on my patio and be very happy with their sound.
Surprisingly, the bass is really good for their size, and they sound balanced in low level (neighborhood) and loud as well (party). The build quality is fantastic!
The setup indoors is a pi 4 with roopiee XL, a SMSL C100 (Bluetooth for guests), and my old Denon PMA 2000.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not installing myself, got an AV network guy to do it for me. I would mess it up I'm sure if I attempted myself.

I did buy the 80XC so just now deciding on the dac/amp/streamer setup.

Sonos looks tempting. Frankly I really like the WiiM experience; they update all the time, almost every other week it seems, adding new features. I own three total and no problems. Is Sonos really better?
I think Sonos is pretty robust but if you like the WiiM UX then why mess with success? You can get a refurb WiiM Mini on eBay for $60 right now, from the manufacturer. The value prop vs. Sonos is pretty out of control IMO.

I'm moving to a new house and personally going to get about 4-5 WiiM units for the outside and various room setups.

It's not a bad idea to get an installer to do it for you. However, as far as I know it's just cutting a hole in the exterior wall and running some short wires between two sets of binding posts.

Now, "just cutting a hole in the exterior wall" does kinda sound like "maybe just don't DIY it" but we'll see. :)

Top Bottom