• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reacher on Prime Video

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Season one covers the first Reacher novel, Killing Floor. Impression after watching episode 1: Great! Achieves the balance between cerebral and butt-kicking which made the novels so popular, in an episodic form which allows the story room to breathe.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've enjoyed the first three episodes. Can't imagine reading this stuff though..!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I agree. While the Tom Cruise movies were watchable, the books were packed with references to just how big and intimidating Reacher was and this guy is built like a tank.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Season one covers the first Reacher novel, Killing Floor. Impression after watching episode 1: Great! Achieves the balance between cerebral and butt-kicking which made the novels so popular, in an episodic form which allows the story room to breathe.
Read good things about it just now in the guardian too. I'll try it tonight.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had missed this coming up. Really like the books. The trailer looks over-cooked to me. But I have prime and will give it a try. The Tom Cruise movies were okay, but it was always jarring how big and strong he is described in the books and then shorty Tom is playing the part. Even with elevator shoes Mr. Cruise just didn't fit the book Jack Reacher.

PS if you haven't heard they are raising the price of Amazon Prime $20 a year.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had missed this coming up. Really like the books. The trailer looks over-cooked to me. But I have prime and will give it a try. The Tom Cruise movies were okay, but it was always jarring how big and strong he is described in the books and then shorty Tom is playing the part. Even with elevator shoes Mr. Cruise just didn't fit the book Jack Reacher.

Its quite watchable. I dont know the books. Looks to have good production values and some decent acting. Good violence too.

AudiOhm

If it is raised to $20.00, I am out...

Ohms

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. While the Tom Cruise movies were watchable, the books were packed with references to just how big and intimidating Reacher was and this guy is built like a tank.
The books have always been a guilty pleasure for me. I really choked at the idea of Cruise who is 5'7" in his stocking feet playing Reacher. One of the things Child hammers home in every one of those books is the physicality (as in 6'5" physical stature) of Reacher, and, obviously, Cruise in no way fills that bill. I'll have to check the series out. See if this Reacher still owns nothing but a toothbrush and the clothes on his back.

Ken1951

The books have always been a guilty pleasure for me. I really choked at the idea of Cruise who is 5'7" in his stocking feet playing Reacher. One of the things Child hammers home in every one of those books is the physicality (as in 6'5" physical stature) of Reacher, and, obviously, Cruise in no way fills that bill. I'll have to check the series out. See if this Reacher still owns nothing but a toothbrush and the clothes on his back.
We read the first half-dozen or so of the books and enjoyed them and were excited when the movie(s) were announced. That is until TC was announced as Reacher. The race of the character isn't important, but 5'7" just doesn't cut it. Looking forward to watching it after we finish Hawkeye.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoyed Reacher, good story, good production values and solidly acted.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoyed it but I wouldn't want to over rate it: 7/10.

It's the daydream of the macho good guy who ignores the law to bring justice. Humm, but there's a fallacy there somewhere.

Ken1951

Watched it over two nights, finishing last night. Really enjoyed it. He does a good job of channeling the character and looks the part as well. Well cast and acted. Glad to hear they've already okayed a second season!

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched it over two nights, finishing last night. Really enjoyed it. He does a good job of channeling the character and looks the part as well. Well cast and acted. Glad to hear they've already okayed a second season!
I don't recall whether I cared for the second novel as much as the first. To date, I think I've read all but one or two of the books and recall "Killing Floor" and one or two others as standouts. But one device that I do find entertaining is how the author sets each in a different, non-sequential time of Reacher's life.

D

Deleted member 23424

Astoundingly crap TV. Reacher is basically Knight Rider but without the car. Mindnumbingly dumb clichéd nonsense.

Spoonfed narrative, crash zoom brass stab scored plot points with neon LOOK! signs, one dimensional writing, soap opera acting and a plot with more holes in it than a Ukrainian tank.

2/10

D

Deleted member 23424

Apologies. We left it running in the background. I need to downgrade that to 0.1/10.

Probably the shittest TV show ever made. No joke.

There aren't enough analogies for dumb to illustrate just how dumb that dumb show is.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We kinda prefer mind-candy movies/series, strictly for their entertainment value w/o 21st Century messaging.
If we can agree that Reacher falls into the "action" genre, then it is a solid 7.5
Extra 0.5 points because at the end of the series, we were not sad, or guilt-ridden or asleep.:)
We can't wait for the new season of "Killing Eve", coming in early March 2022!

Top Bottom